Help building a M4

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by theschnelting21, Nov 16, 2013.

1. theschnelting21

theschnelting21 New Member

Looking to build a good but cheap M4. Anybody know good place to get parts and if all parts are interchangeable or I have to stick to one brand? Any and all help is wanted.

2. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

what is your budget? 'cheap' to me usually implies poor quality at a get what you pay for price. do all the parts have to come from the same place?

and let me save 2-3 members the trouble of having to tell you all about Palmetto State Armory. We have several sales reps for the company working here I believe lol. They seem to have some good deals, although I see 'temporarily out of stock' way too often for my low patience level. be sure to checkout armslist parts section as well.

make sure you check out the sticky section in the AR15 area of this site. a good place to start

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Try looking at Colt, and copy theirs. I hear from some that they are the Gold standard. Good luck with the "Cheap" part.

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Yep... all the parts are interchangeable. Check out this stickies on building an AR. There's a lot of very helpful info in there.

When I built mine, I found good parts in some unusual places. Daniel Defense gets a lot of support from the die-hard AR enthusiasts on here. I picked up a DD lower parts kit from Amazon of all places. Picked up my Stag stripped lower from a LGS. Picked up my upper directly from Palmetto State Armory. The Magpul stock I got off eBay. I think I got the pistol grip off eBay as well.

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I dont get you . For a person that purchased their first AR just a few months ago and ended up with something that they werent really looking for. " I remember this discussion like yesterday " . You think that when people bring up PSA we all work for them? This guy asks for a cheap yet high quality AR and PSA will pop up every time. Why ? Because thats exactly what you get . Parts being out of stock all the time ? I dont see ANY other place selling quality LPKs for $39 . Complete rifle build kits for $499 . Complete MOE lowers for $179 . Thats why they sell out like they do and are out of stock regularly . They are Daily deals . You wait to long and youll have to wait til next time. Dont get me wrong I dont claim PSA is the best out there. I own many different brands and to be honest there isnt a nickels worth of difference between any of them as far as accuracy or quality as far as im concerned . Spikes, s&w , psa, colt, stag, delton , rra , dpms, daniel defense, bcm , r guns, bushmaster, lmt are just a few I have had my hands around and shot and the only difference I noticed is some of them had smoother triggers than others and their different outter wear like hand guards, stocks barrel profiles ,etc . To the OP you can put together a $550 quality AR if your not in a hurry . Dont push to be in a hurry and make a decision that costs you more money that you could have used on parts that you like or want , optics or ammo. As far as the lowers go, pick the roll mark you like best and go with it .
    I see people that do this all the time . They over spend on a basic rifle that they could have bought for hundreds less and then dont have the money for optics, mags or ammo

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

That's what I had assumed.:D

8. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Oh good lord. You do like to get after people, don't you. Talk about starting stuff for no reason. I've got better things to do today than explain myself to a stranger with his judgement hat on! Plus your rant completely buries what you are trying to tell the OP.

By the way I ended up getting JUST what I wanted in the end. Unfortunately for you, my decision process was not to your liking, or something like that. Strange what people choose to get upset about and remember.....

To quote Warren Oates from 'Stripes':

image-2714495745.jpg

9. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

They also have a sub-16" barrel so either sbr paperwork or a pinned and welded flash hider is required for a 14.5-7" barrel.;)

10. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Palmetto State Armory has the best deals around had friends build quality rifles from there website for about $650 after shipping and transfer fees.

The specs of my friends rifles are on point with rifles that are twice that price.

You wont be able buy an AR off a shelf for same price that's the same quality of rifle.

My 2¢

11. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

Get all your stuff from PSA or you will have inferior parts and pay way to much. Stay away from argile armory they are waaaayyyy to expensive.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

This is pretty much how my AR builds came together, I take my time and jump on parts I like from various sources: S&W and ArmaLite, etc. stripped lowers from my LGS or online; upper receivers from BCM, Daniel Defense, PSA online; other parts from LGS, Amazon, eBay, used, wherever. But always quality parts.

Definitely look at the stickies, especially the AR Primer. And I'd think about midlength gas, lightweight profile barrels over the standard M4 profile.

As purehavoc and others said, you have to watch PSA, their deals on quality parts are hard to beat.

13. theschnelting21

theschnelting21 New Member

Yes that's what I ment was ar15 but I said m4 cuz that's what I say everyday in the military I was just not for sure on if all parts were interchangeable

Sent from my VS870 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app

14. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

There's not really any such thing as "good but cheap". When it comes to quality, you generally get what you pay for. If you can get a quality product for a better price, then by all means do so, but realize that quality has a price tag attached to it.

When people say, my X is just as good as Y, they're really saying I like my X and I think it's just as good as Y. If you ask them to articulate what that means and how they know that, very few would be able to. I'm not talking about the folks who got a great deal on a quality product, I'm talking about the folks who think an off-brand AR with commercial spec parts is equivalent to a Colt, BCM, or DD carbine. It's not.

On that note, military specifications don't necessarily mean "best", it just means that that's what the military specified when they were searching for their X.

The technical specifications for the M4 carbines are mind-blowingly detailed, boring, and a some of the specifications are questionable for most civilian uses.

For instance, does it matter whether or not you use a taper pin or a straight pin for the front sight? If it mattered all that much, AK's everywhere would have their front sight blocks and gas blocks falling off. To my knowledge, that's never been much of a problem. So, why does the military require the manufacturer to use a taper pin? Good question, because the front sight's not going to fall off if you use a straight pin. In fact, the Navy's full auto (as opposed to the 3 round burst Army M4's) have never had problems with the front sights falling off.

I purchased a Colt because I like the fact that Colt actually tests their product rather than assume that it'll work or waits for the customer to return to them after they didn't work. The pony on the side of the weapon doesn't make it any better than the next weapon and there are manufacturers that produce weapons that are of better quality (durability, accuracy, ergonomics) that you can purchase… for more money.

Colt's testing doesn't mean that their product will last any longer or work any better than the next product, but it generally means that the product you receive from the factory will function as it was intended. I've had very few problems with them, apart from Colt factory magazines and charging handles. I replaced the factory charging handle with a BCM GunFighter and the factory magazines with MagPul magazines. Problem solved.

USGI magazines work great… until you step on them. Then, not so much.

USGI charging handles work great… until you torque it and snap the little pin that holds the latch in place.

DD, LWRC, and Wilson Combat all make weapons that are qualitatively better than Colt and you can purchase them or certain parts they make for more money. Are any of them so much better that I'd pay 2K or more when I can purchase a 1K Colt that works consistently when you lubricate it and use quality magazines? Well, I don't think so, but if others have that kind of money to pay for a carbine and want to spend it on one I'd never fault them for using a better weapon.

Colt could hammer forge, double heat treat, and nickel-boron instead of chrome line its barrels. The barrel would double in price, but they could do it, and it would basically last forever. It's shockingly difficult to sell quality to the American consumer and the military's answer to broken parts is replacement parts, so there you go.

Colt could use a better steel, double heat treat, and nickel-boron coat its bolts. Again, price would double, but it could be done.

Other companies actually do some of these things, but their products are not cheap.

I spend my money on better springs (chrome silicon flat wire), better magazines, and decent ammunition. I've broken parts, but I have replacements. By the time I have to worry about changing a barrel or shear two lugs off a bolt, I could buy several new rifles with what ammunition costs today. So yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

there is a huge difference in cheap and inexpensive. you can put together a cheap AR and have all types of problems down the road, or you can build an inexpensive one that is a quality built rifle by doing some careful shopping. sometimes that just means being in the right place at the right time when a good deal becomes available.

first of define what your end goal is going to be and what you expect the main function of your AR to be able to do. hunting purposes, SD/HD usage, range or target plinker, competition use, ect., ect.,,,, define your budget.

i would also read all the stickies at the beginning of the AR section of the forum. lots of useful information in those stickies that will help you out.

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

PSA is high quality, budget friendly. For $700-1100, they're tough to beat. Their inventory changes daily...basically they put a buncha good stuff up each day at crazy prices, and then much of it sells out within 24hrs. And then a whole different menu shows up the next day. It's a vicious cycle, LOL. If you're shopping there, it helps a lot to be on their email list. But most of the deals are on their front page.

BCM, AIM Surplus, MidWest Industries, and JoeBob Outfitters are other locations where I regularly find top quality at great prices.