Help! Amt automag 3 .30 carbine

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by superexplorer5, May 14, 2012.

1. superexplorer5

superexplorer5 New Member

I have a quick question for you guys I want to pick your brains. I have a Automag 3 and its doing kind of a dangerous thing.

If you have the slide locked back, insert a loaded mag. Then you drop the slide it fires.
    But if you pull the trigger then drop the slide the hammer stays back and dose not fire. If you insert a mag then manually chamber it. It dose not fire. Only when you drop the slide using the slide lock/release tab
    I took it completely apart 100 times can not figure out. Would it be the shear spring? Or the thing the actuated the hammer? The shear hammer? Let me know what you guys think.

0213001653.jpg

0213001654.jpg

262234628.jpg

2. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

You are getting slam fires. Anyone who uses 1911 pistols should know to never let the slide slam a loaded round. The hand is used to slow the travel of the slide when you push the release. You may have high primers a fowled chamber a bad disconnector a swelled or carboned firing pin. But start by proper slide release.:)

3. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I agree with Durangokid.

BTW, I want that gun. If you ever decide to get rid of it let me know.:)

4. superexplorer5

That dose make since but I always used to drop the slide with a loaded mag. It just started doing this....
    But I totaly agree I will soak and really clean the chamber and firing pin. Those are some great tips

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Almost sound like a broke firing pin.
    Letting the slide slam forward allows the pin to move.
    Trying to hit the pin with the hammer, and no bang, mayby that pin is sheared.

Suggest a new firing pin, spring, and change of habit.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

When the slide is locked back, can you see the firing pin sticking out at all? I mean out into where it would hit the primer when it goes forward. Don't be insulted by the question. I have no idea of your gun smith skill level.

7. danf_fl

To add to Rick's suggestion, you may want to try and activate the pin movement while you have the slide to the rear and see if the pin sticks out at all.

(A dull pencil end will move the normal working pin enough to see if it moves and retracts correctly.)

Normally, there is enough of the firing pin spring to keep the firing pin off of the primer. If the pin is broke, the broken tip may have enough inertia to activate a primer when allowing the slide to slam forward. And the spring is keeping the broken rear half enough off of the tip during normal firing to work properly.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Durango and whoever agree with him...WTF? YOU NEVER RIDE THE SLIDE CLOSED ON A SEMI-AUTO PISTOL. Recommending the practice is very foolish.

I agree the broken/frozen firing pin posibility.

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I would assume firing pin issue also.

10. superexplorer5

Agreed on possibly pin. It dose have play. Maybe spring. I want to remove the whole assembly and inspect the spring and do a deep clean on it. It dose not seem seized.
    I agree and will not slam load it anymore. It's just doing slam firing.

11. Chubbyhawaiian

Chubbyhawaiian New Member

That was my thoughts too. "every 1911 owner should know to never just hit the slide release button without manually slowing the slide"? That makes no sense.

12. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Robo I never said to ride the slide. You have come up with another reaction. You never let a 1911 slide ram shut. You need some instruction on "Slam Firing" .:rolleyes:

13. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

With the info at hand, I would tend to agree with a broken firing pin or a weak or broken firing pin spring. As to the 1911 slam fire argument, the 1911 is designed to be chambered using the slide release and letting the slide strip a round and chamber it under it's own inertia. A properly maintained 1911 with a proper firing pin and spring combination will not slam fire while chambering a round. The same process of chambering a round is done everytime you pull the trigger in a 1911. What you do not want to do is release the slide on it's own on an empty chamber. This can and will, in the long run, cause damage to the sear and/or hammer full cock sear notch. This is where I think DURANGO is confused on dropping the slide on the 1911.

Jim..................

14. superexplorer5

Well done. Well done sir.

15. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Hey SUPER, one other thing I would check is the possibility of the hammer following the slide when you release the slide. It is possible that you could have a sear or hammer notch problem.

Jim..

16. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I have a question, what's the difference in releasing the slide on a live round and the slide slaming forward into battery after EVERY SINGLE SHOT FIRED. If the slide does it after every shot, I really can't see the difference.

Please explain if I'm missing something.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  17. danf_fl

With normal firing, the trigger is held back. Allows the parts (sear and disconnector) to function as designed.

Using the "sling shot" manner when starting uses the fresh round as a "buffer" to slide slam.

Allowing the slide to slam forward without loading a fresh round removes the "buffer" affect.

18. superexplorer5

That's basically what is going on. Everytime and only when you drop the slide the hammer is always following.
    When I had it all apart. The spring and the hammer strut did look bent

19. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I have had mine do that, its dirty, check and see if there ain`t a bunch of crap in, on & around the sear.............carbon & such. I also have a Ruger in .30 carbine.

Attached Files:

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

OK. You posted "the hand is used to slow the the travel of the slide..." That is the definition of "riding the slide".

You ALWAYS let a 1911 slide "ram shut" when loading from a magazine! How on earth do you retard the movement of the slide when shooting? Do you ride your thumb along the slide to "slow" tghe movement of the slide.

Inquiring minds want to know.