Help a rookie to ARs out.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by mopowerbmx, Dec 4, 2013.

1. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

image-3374409138.jpg

This is a new to me Rock River. I traded some things to a guy for this gun. He said there has only been a few hundred rounds through it and from the looks of it I believe him. He is down sizing his collection and I am down sizing some of mine as well. Win win. I've never owned an AR but have been wanting one for years. I've been mostly an AK guy due to costs. Everything I have read Rock River makes good guns. So tell me what this gun needs,to be better. It came with a cheap red dot,flash light and slanted grip. I added the vertical grip and I'm ditching the carry Handel for a Magpul flip up.

2. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Oh I forgot. It has a dpms Tactical bolt release and a chromed bolt carrier.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

It needs ammo down range on target.

A Vortex Sparc red dot with a Magpul BUS, and you are good to go.

I would trade the vertical for more ammo. YMMV.

Enjoy your new SUR.

4. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Yeah the guy I traded with is sending me a magpul flip up. Looks like they only have two designs. I've also been told to upgrade the grip with a magpul. Why what's so much better between that and the rouge grip.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I use neither angled nor nor vertical foregrips on my AR. The instructor of my carbine class was not a fan of foregrips.

But, if you like the foregrips, it is your choice.

6. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Sorry I was talking about the pistol grip. I've been shooting with the vertical and I'm not liking it anyway. Might take your advise. It is a magpul but only cost $20 bucks. So I haven't lost much.

7. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Member

Put on a decent scope or red dot and shoot it! You can hang pounds of stuff on an AR that soon will be in the parts drawer. Keep it simple and it will give you a pile of fun. Oh! A Mid West Ind three point sling attachment will give you the ability to let the carbine hang while you are counting all the money you saved on this trade.

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Ammo, sling, mags, and mo ammo......Now go have some fun with it!!! Gratz on a very nice AR!!!!!!!

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I personally think the magpul grip would be a down grade over the hogue , but thats a personal preference thing

11. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Depends on the magpul grip we are talking about here. I personally don't like the MOE, but like the MIAD I have on one of mine. Thinking about trying the new MOE they came out with.

12. timothyj999

timothyj999 New Member

The quad rail and rail covers add a lot of weight and make for a very bulky handhold. You might consider replacing it with a Magpul MOE or similar. It also helps avoid the temptation to add a bunch of junk.

13. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

Okay so everyone is going to bombard your face with everything they want on THEIR gun. You'll have to try for yourself. You need a sling,(my preference is a 2-point, like a vcas from Blue Force Gear), ammo(doesn't really matter what kind, just don't shoot corrosive and if you choose to shoot steel, expect a malfunction here and there), and get a good red dot sight, not a $50 one. Save up, buy something reputable, and have some confidence in it.(I hear great things about the vortex strikefire and sparc for the money). Oh, an the magpul MIAD grip is the way to go. I hate hogue grips on AR's. We will be here if you need to ask a question, no matter how goofy the question is. Lol. Welcome to the most fun you'll ever have with a gun.

14. sandog

sandog Member

Hogue pistol grips are nice, they would be my second choice. First would be the Magpul MOE+. The plus is a rubber over coating on a standard MOE, so grippier. Also good storage options with the Magpuls. Get a better red dot, best thing going in a serious red dot is an Aimpoint Patrol (PRO), $400, battery life is so good you leave it on constantly, so it's always ready. The Vortex Strikefire and Sparc are popular, $169 to $199, but the Aimpoint has a battery life 250 times better. Not only will you spend a hellofa lot more in batteries with a cheaper red dot, but when you really need it, the Aimpoint dot will always be there and ready, the cheaper dots, not so much. Many users complain of the Vortex being easy to turn on accidentally when putting the rifle in a case, then when you get the rifle out a few weeks later, the battery is dead. If you just want to get a reliable, highly rated dot for less than $100 to get by with till you can get an Aimpoint, check out the Primary Arms Micro. At around $90, you can use it for a while, then put it on another gun or sell it to a buddy when you upgrade.

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

You could file the finger grove off the grip you have now if you don't like it and stretch on a piece or two of cheap free inner tube for add traction for now. Go shoot it, see what others are doing, ask to check others shooters rifles out and make up your own mind. many use them as they are with no changes.

16. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Function trumps looks every time in my book. (my beater pickup truck testifies to that).

I'd do some serious shooting (at least a couple of hundred rounds) before you go making a decision based on other people's personal preferences. If you outfit your rifle based on what 'looks cool', it may not be ergonomically friendly for you. For any gun to be at it's best for the person who shoots it, cosmetics are secondary to function, fit and feel. There is nothing unique about ARs when it comes to that.

I see a TON of 'cool looking' AR15s on this site and not very many target pictures. That may be telling as to why they are so popular?

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I do this on the standard grips , much more comfortable with the finger groove sanded off and then I stipple the sh!t out of them, wish I had some rubber dip to put on them , would probably me the most comfortable grip I own and I think I have tried about 6 different grips and still own 3 Hogue, MOE + and the standard grip.
    I have a narrow belt sander I take the finger groove off with and make it flush with the rest of the grip , I will get a pic this afternoon

18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Modified A2 grip , finger groove removed and stippled very aggressively

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  19. FishinLuke

FishinLuke New Member

That looks nice! How did you do the stippling? Did you use a sodering iron or what?

20. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Thanks everyone for the info. I think I will get a magpul grip and try it out. They run about $25 bucks. I'm not to crazy on red dots. I have a cheap one and it is sighted in pretty good but I didn't see anything positive with it over the regular sights. I think i would like something with a little magnification. I like something with cross hair. I think I could judge bullet drop better. . Im in NC and there really isnt anything further than 200 yards because of tree lines. I'm getting a magpul flip up today which will be better than the handle sight. I agree on the quad rail being bulky but I think I will leave it on for now and move my vertical grip back a little. It seemed more comfortable and easer to control the gun in the back. I have two point slings for my hunting rifles so I'm looking for something more tactical. Probably choosing a 3 point over a 1 point. It seems more versatile. .