Help a Newbie buy a 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by taxgodfather60, Apr 7, 2012.

1. taxgodfather60

taxgodfather60 New Member

Just got into shooting at 57 y/o...LOVE IT. Wife, son and I shoot together twice a week. Started with Glock 23, son wants a 1911. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated...thanx. JOE DE

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

For range use I would get a full size, i.e. 5 inch.

Look at these Colt, Springfield Armory, Ruger, Remington, Kimber at the $700 to $900 price point. I have an STI Spartan that fits in this category.

Check out Rock Island Armory, Citadel, American Tactical, High Standard at the $500 to $700 price point.

If you want to spend 1K plus, Colt, STI Trojan, Kimber and several more.

The way prices have been jumping lately, :eek: ,numbers subject to change.

Welcome to the FTF community, be sure to stop by the Introduction section and let folks know a little about yourself.

3. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

For a first 1911 I went with SIG. SIG start around 799.00 and go up. another top line for the just above 700 as Gatorgan said is the STI. The STI Trojan is a sweet gun. I really want one just can't find one.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

good suggestions. shop around and look at many. IMO, a standard 5" Government model would be the best to start with. Springfield Armory, Metroarms American Classic, Rock Island Arms, High Standard, or even Colt if you want to spend a little more. the Colt will be higher priced, but will hold better value. the 1911 is an excellent pistol to own and shoot. they do have one problem, usually most people who buy one and shoot them, generally want more than one! i know, i own two and am looking into number three and four!

there is a sticky in the 1911 section written by Canebrake, that goes into much detail about picking your first 1911. very good reading and information and Canebrake is pretty savvy on the 1911's.

5. jca1

jca1 New Member

Buy a new Colt

6. goatrat

goatrat New Member

Bought my first 1911 a few months ago.....Colt XSE Commander in stainless
    I spent 998+tax on it and couldnt be happier..

If its within your budget...Colt is never a bad choice.

7. taxgodfather60

taxgodfather60 New Member

Thanks to all you guys...very helpful....JD

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

8. goodwrench78

goodwrench78 New Member

I love my Remington R1 it's a great gun

9. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I picked up Rock Island Armory 1911A1-FS 2-Tome for $509.

10. KllSwtch8473

KllSwtch8473 New Member

Dont be afraid to look at used guns either I saved 400 on my Springfield Champion and it was barely broken in. It kinda just fell in my lap and its an amazing gun.

11. BikerRN

BikerRN New Member

I agree.

If you ever want to resell it the Colt will retain it's value better than most. Also, right now Colt is putting out the best quality they ever have and their prices are comparable to other manufacturers of the same grade of 1911.

12. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I bought the entire set of Hi-Point handguns, and the 4595TS carbine, plus ammo for each, for less than $900. And, they all shoot just fine.

13. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Are you serious dude? Hi-Point and comparing them to a 1911. Man you don't have a clue do you.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

..................................Speechless!

15. kvtcomdo

kvtcomdo New Member

New or 1st 1911

Cannot go wrong with a:

1.Colt
    2.Springfield
    3.Ruger
    4.Sig
    5.S&W
    6.Remington

Not a Sig fan, $ is high and only get a 1(one) year warrantee.
    Never been a fan of the bargain basement 1911 but there are those who swear by them.;)

16. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

I have a lifetime warranty on my sig stx, and it didn't cost me a penny extra. So far it has out preformed any other 1911 I've shot. To each his own I suppose..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  17. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Yes, the military is cutting government spending and issuing the troops hi-points starting with the rangers, ranger6 was there first test subject.

18. kvtcomdo

kvtcomdo New Member

Oops

Must have had a brain fart.

Love Sig, it's Kimber I shy away from; sorry.:confused:

19. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

Have a look at the sticky at the beginning of this forum titled "Choosing Your First 1911" by Cane.

He gives you all the info you could want/need and is the best condensed 1911 summation that I've ever seen. JMHO