Firearms Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropping in to say hello. Found you guys on a google search and seems to be a nice place you have here.

Hope to gain some knowledge on firearms and maybe input what little I know when I can help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.

Hope I didn't come off as too secretive in my original post, just trying to make it short and sweet.

As for my "collection" of firearms, it's really pretty skimpy. I own a total of three shotguns handed down to me and in great condition. An 870 wingmaster 12 gauge, as well as a 16, and an 1100 12 that was my mother's before she quit shooting.

I'm looking at information for purchasing a good deer rifle for now, and hopefully growing the collection to a few handguns later. This site seems to have a wealth of information to go through, so I hope you don't get upset that I don't post much for awhile. I'm just reading and learning.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Welcome here.

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
Welcome. Rifles are like pants. One size does not fit all. Some prefer plain pocket denims and some like custom wool dress slacks. Some info on terrain, expected shot distance, size of game and reasonable alternative uses (Target shooting, Bigger/smaller game etc) would be useful in helping with the decision.

·
Banned
414 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ChickenGeorge, welcome. Glad to have you here. What's with the name? If I may ask?
I was afraid that would come up.

Long ago, I lived with my friend's family. They lived on a small acreage lot and had chickens, pigeons, ducks, goats, etc. Living there, I had chores to do. One of which was gathering the eggs. Well, I started out strong, gathered eggs like I was supposed to, daily and about a dozen or so a day.

Well, I got lazy. Decided I wasn't going to gather eggs anymore. Their dad got suspicious that we went from around a dozen a day to six, then maybe 2, then days without any eggs. So he asked me and I of course didn't want to just say "Eh, I just don't want to do it anymore." So I came up with the brilliant idea to say something like "well, those hens are mean! They peck at me when I go for the eggs." Now, imagine, a 6' tall 250 lb teenager acting like he's afraid of a 2 pound chicken. Yeah, he came up with the name at that point and it just kind of stuck.

Many thanks for the welcome. And rest assured, once I get to a financial status that I can afford to start seriously looking, I'll be asking many questions about my purchases.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts