Hello to all, and I have a question regarding SKS ammo

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Jant, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Jant

Jant New Member

First of all, as I am new here and this is my first post, hello to all!

I recently purchased my first rifle - A Yugo SKS. I noticed that, although this question has been explored in the past, there is nothing all that recent on it.

What is a good ammo to use in this rifle. I know they aren't too picky and aren't all that accurate in the first place, so I'm just basically trying to find something I can purchase at a great price. I suppose it's worth it to get FMJ?

Sportsmansguide.com has Wolf® Military Classic 7.62x39 mm 124 - gr. FMJ Ammunition

$139/500rds. Seems pretty good to me. But if I can do better, I'm all ears.

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I don't buy in bulk like that. But that seems to be a good price to me.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

AMMOMAN.COM

7.62x39 RUSSIAN WOLF JACKETED HOLLOW POINT, $239 - 1,000 rounds DELIVERED

Hop over to the Introductions section and let us know a little about you.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

I use Wolf in mine, prefer the black box weight. I try not to pay over $5/box shipped in bulk, as a general guide. I have bought the Bear before & it worked fine.

Now, if you are going to be shooting A LOT and don't mind cleaning your rifle PROMPTLY after getting home from the range, Classic Arms has some surplus stuff for a bit less. Ammunition 1000 rounds in a .50 cal ammo can $219 + shipping.

5. hycal

hycal New Member

Wolf ammo

The wolf ammo in the black box is a good ammo.Price is good, no problems feeding.
    It works well in my ak and sks.

6. Jant

Jant New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately, I have since found out that not many, if any at all, vendors will ship to my wonderful state of MA. :mad:

Looks like I'm stuck paying shop prices for a while til I can figure out something else.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You need a friend North of the border!!:D
    Send me a PM.

BTW, it is the Commiewealth of Ma.

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

You can get some pretty high end ammo for those but I usually wont fool with it. The Wolf does plenty good in mine. I got better groups out of some others but it wasn't enough to make me want to get a bunch. Some will say Steel case bad bla-bla but I have yet to see a chamber get tore up yet from it. I have sent thousands of rounds of Wolf in a couple of my 7.62x39 rifles and they still work as good as ever. If the barrels steel is not harder than the cases I need another rifle.

9. Megaton

Megaton New Member

I had a bad batch of wolf black box, 1 out of 10 rounds would not fire on the first attempt. 99% of them fired on the second try. Luckily I only bought a hundred rounds of the stuff, and since then I have not had any issues with any ammo I have fed my SKS.

No personal experience with this, but I have read that boxer primed ammo can result in slam fires due to the softer primers, not sure if there is any fact to this, but when you consider that the boxer primer stuff is always way more expensive (because its reloadable brass) why even take the risk when the wolf, bear, milsurp is available and cheap.

10. njjohnson

njjohnson New Member

I was trying out an SKS today I'm thinking of buying from a friend of mine, and I bought a box of Silver Bear 123 gr. hp for right at $9 (20 rounds), to go with the 30 rounds the guy sent with the gun. I'm no marksman by any means but after I adjusted the sights a little I was hitting the 9- and 10-ring consistently at 50 yards (or "yads" as they say up in Massachusetts) with open sights. For the shear enjoyment of it, I did a 10-round rapid-fire test. 6 out of 10 (60%) hit the scorable part of the target. Now I know that's not great shooting, but, it's good enough for anything I'll ever encounter. I'd say it's accurate enough. Once I buy this gun I'll definitely buy in bulk. :cool:

Attached Files:

11. Megaton

Megaton New Member

invest in some stripper clips too, dirt cheap and makes reloading on par with a detachable magazine.

12. Warren2

Warren2 New Member

Last batch i purchased was from cheaperthandirt.com it was 500 rounds of Brown Bear 123gr FMJ for $4.74 per box of 20 and it seems to shoot well in my SKS. I have shot lots of Wolf and it has all been good.

13. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

ammo

They will digest anything according to my limited experience as I do not shoot it but once or twice a year.......Anything cheap IMHO.