Firearms Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i hope i am in the right place. i am having trouble navigating this site so please bear with me. and i hope i can find this one again...lol

my question is i have seen a glock model 39 for sale from a friend that he wants 500.00 for is this a good price? it is used and my son is wanting one so i was thinking about buying it for him for christmas. he wants to get his concealed license and loves to go to the shooting range or shoot our many guns out here on our place. is this a good starter gun for him? and is this a good price? thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok now my husband tells me he really wants a 1911 tauraus? sorry about the spelling. but 500.00 is about the most we want to spend and he doesn't think we can get one for 500 because he says it is a really hot gun right now.

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum.

Because of the posts, I am unclear what you are looking for to be honest. I understand you don't want to go over $500. But a .45 is a horrible starting caliber for a new shooter. You did mention that you have guns and that your son shoots, but you also mentioned that your husband wants a .45 - so what will the purpose for the weapon be?

Just for shooting at targets?

For carry? If so, by whom?

Home Defense?

.45 ACP is a great cartridge, especially for defense purposes. If your intent is for a good stopping cartridge in a carry weapon, you have made an excellent choice provided you understand the power/recoil of the weapon in question.

However, the Glock model 39, I believe, fires only the .45 GAP cartridge, which isn't the same thing. So you might want to do some reading on the difference before you buy.

You are looking for an American Made pistol - I believe the Glocks are products of Germany and imported, though they may now have production facilities here in the US. I don't follow their brand, so I can't say for sure.

The Taurus PT-1911 is made in Brazil in a state of the art CNC machined facility is one of the better bang for the buck 1911's on the market right now.

As for the Glock question, and let again state I do not like these weapons, $500 for a used Glock is rape in my opinion. Here is one that was the first search on Google for $455 new, though I believe that is for police sales, you would have to look into that.

Impact Guns was the next link of Google and they seem to have several options on new pistols that come as a kit for all around $500-$550 new.

Just some things to think about and look into...

JD

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you so much for your reply. i have been around guns all my life but mainly rifles. pistols are a whole different bunch. we do own many guns and my son has a rifle we got for him when he was young after taking the hunter safety course that he uses for hunting. he has moved hours away from us and is working and going to college in a big city and i think he would feel safer with a gun. he is a country boy and this year has really been talking about getting a gun. so i think he main purpose is for safety. but he like to shoot also. he has also talked about getting his concealed license to carry. we also thought glocks may be made here but not sure either. it is very hard to look up much on my dial up because we live so far out in the country. my son is not a new shooter but this will be his first gun to take with him when he leaves after christmas. my husband thought the glock may be good starting gun for him. since it seems to be available at this time by a friend. and yes when i googled it i also saw one for 425.00 so we are thinking 500.00 may be a bit much. thank you very much for your input i really appreciate it.

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Okay, a couple of things to consider. What state is your son going to school in? Also, what is the campus policy for CCW? He could get expelled merely for having a weapon in his car ( something that you will find almost no members here at firearmstalk agree with ). He, or you, definitely need to look into that BEFORE you purchase.

As for the Glock being the first handgun - this model of weapon is perfect for beginners because it is so simple "a caveman could shoot it" HA HA - that should get some replies.. :D

The Glock is a very easy to field strip, very easy to clean/maintain, very easy to point and shoot piece. The .45 GAP is a good cartridge, but not as good as the .45 ACP in my personal opinion.

Would it stop your average attacker? Yes, I firmly believe it would with multiple rounds. The key is, especially with such a small gun, your son is going to need to practice, practice and practice some more because in a time of crisis, his hands will be sweaty, possibly shaking and with such a small gun, a country boys hands are going to dwarf it. :) I don't know too many country boys that aren't corn fed. :D

So, that is about as positive a review of the Glock model as you are going to get out of me. Some of the Glock guys will be along shortly to help you out as well.

As for a source for the gun - check out George from Michigan Gunslingers. He is one of the nicest guys out there, very knowledgable, always has great prices and he has a deal where, with a deposit, he will hold a gun, interest free, and allow you to make payments if you need too. George is a great guy and I have personally done business with him on 3 weapons and never had a problem.

JD

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you so much for all your help.
yes he is a corn-fed oklahoma country boy but does seem to enjoy the big city life right now.....lol because he can eat at all times of the night...lol
he is going to OU and has his own apartment. he doesn't want to worry mom and dad but he is concerned about home invasions and i am not sure why?. so i don't think he will carry to class but he will be able to have it in his apartment off campus. i also think to go shoot makes him feel closer to home...lol lots of noise maybe...lol thanks and i will check out george's site.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Since I agree with most of what you posted, I have only quoted the parts that I must either add information to, or correct misinformation.

However, the Glock model 39, I believe, fires only the .45 GAP cartridge, which isn't the same thing. So you might want to do some reading on the difference before you buy.
It is in .45 GAP. .45 GAP is an interesting cartridge from a ballistics standpoint, but doesn't bring anything to the table that several other existing cartridges do. It is expensive to buy any ammo for, and most stores don't stock it.

You are looking for an American Made pistol - I believe the Glocks are products of Germany and imported, though they may now have production facilities here in the US. I don't follow their brand, so I can't say for sure.
Austria. The GLOCK frames are all made in the US, and have been for at least the last 7 years (my NIB GLOCK 23 I bought in 2001 was made in the US). The slide and barrel are still made in Austria and imported, as the Tennifer finishing process is not allowed by the EPA.

As for the Glock question, and let again state I do not like these weapons, $500 for a used Glock is rape in my opinion. Here is one that was the first search on Google for $455 new, though I believe that is for police sales, you would have to look into that.
For a GLOCK 39, $500 isn't that far out of line, depending on the sights. Not as many have been made, so the supply is lesser. Additionally, after you include shipping, FFL transfer fee, and magazines, it should come out to a total of about $500.

The price listed is below wholesale, so it is almost definitely the First Responder price...

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Austria. The GLOCK frames are all made in the US, and have been for at least the last 7 years (my NIB GLOCK 23 I bought in 2001 was made in the US). The slide and barrel are still made in Austria and imported, as the Tennifer finishing process is not allowed by the EPA.
That is something that I did not know. Thank you for filling in the blanks on that.

JD

·
Registered
909 Posts
welcome to the forum
looks like everyone's already helped you with your question
:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you all for your responses. glad to know it is not that far off range in price. i called gunslingers and talked to him and am going to look this weekend. thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
727 Posts
thank you all for your responses. glad to know it is not that far off range in price. i called gunslingers and talked to him and am going to look this weekend. thanks for all your help.

Your son will be very happy with a Glock. I would go the .45acp route though if it were me.:D Best of luck and happy holidays to you and your family.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Welcome, elnfarm.

Don't forget to ask about Springfield Armory's XD series.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts