Firearms Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking around a bit have found this place quite enjoyable. I am retired Air Force Security Police so have good experience shooting and of course safety. Just really getting into shooting the handguns again and waiting for my CCH license. Going to start getting my kids involved very soon as I am a very safety conscious person. Currently working as an ER RN so I have seen my share of bullet holes in people, a lot of which could have been avoided. Glad to be here.

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Welcome to the Forum - Good to have another member.

ER RN huh? Trauma Center? Like you get all the gunshot victims sort of thing? Or what? I am curious, I have always wanted to ask a few questions of someone who sees the "common street crime shooting" up close.

In any event - thanks for coming out of hiding and joining up. The more the merrier!

JD

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dilinger, I have worked in a major trauma center. Now I work in a Chest Pain Center/ER. The only gunshots I see now are the walk ins or drop off in the parking lot as some gang members tend to do. I would be happy to answer what I can.

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
dlee - Thank you for offering information.

Without sounding too morbid, this website has a ton of folks who are here for self defense in the event of "X" happening.

I was wondering how many gunshots have come in on your shifts, what types of calibers have you seen aftermath of, and what was the outcome?

I am looking for some sort of X equals Y cause and effect to the gunshots you have seen on your shifts.

For example - People who have come in shot by say, a .22lr bullet usually are not in a life threatening situation and pull through without a problem.

People shot with a .44 magnum usually are in critical condition, require special care and pull through 50% of the time....

That sort of thing....

Many thanks in advance.

JD

·
Registered
909 Posts
welcome to the forum
hope you like it here
ER huh?
i'm studying to be a doctor and i volunteered at the hospital ER and saw some gruesome stuff...
whats the most gruesome thing you've come upon?

·
Banned
414 Posts

I used to live in Wichita...Park City actually.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dillinger- Good questions I will see what I can do to help. You are correct about the calibers however, I have seen .22 kill people and someone walk out after being hit by a .357. First off I see very few head shots as they do not warrant transfer to a hospital in most cases. I have seen A LOT of hand injuries and leg injuries almost always accidentally self inflicted. The stories are kind of funny sometimes.

The serious business shootings are as you might expect in the torso. We try to count the wounds to see if we have the same amount of exit wounds and entry wounds and the possible direction of travel. This is and you can understand much easier on a single GSW versus multiple GSW's. I have seen more people bleed out after being shot than anything else. A shot in the heart once again will be dead on the scene and I would not see it. I do see holes in stomach, large or small intestine and lung. If the bullet misses the aorta or other large vessels the chance of survival is greater. Even an upper thigh shot that hits a femoral artery will quite often kill someone. Our little line is "all bleeding eventually stops". Meaning we either stop it or they bleed to death. At times we see people bleed to death and don't really see much bleeding, it is internal and if they can't stop it in surgery then they die.

Extremities as long as they don't hit a bone are usually no big deal. A .22 to the calf is easy, very little blood, xray it, clean it up, a little neosporin and a band aid.

I will share one of the funniest stories. A young man who we were familiar with do to his psych history came in after being shot in the knee. He was not seriously injured but the story he told of just walking down the street and someone drove by and shot at him did not add up. He had an entry wound just above the knee and exit wound only 3 inches towards his toes and powder burns on his jeans. After being confronted by myself and the police he started to cry and he came clean. He was looking to buy a gun from some guy he met. He got in the back seat of a car and was checking out the gun when he accidentally shot himself in the knee, the .22 bullet lodged in the passenger front seat. The seller and his friend were really upset yelled at him to get out. During this time they called him "stupid". This victim was more upset about being called "stupid" than anything else that he began to cry and whine about being called "stupid".

Any of this help?

I don't like to talk about all the gross stuff I have seen. I do not think it appropriate. The occasional beer bottle stuck in an unusual place may be a different story over drinks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts