Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my name is Asmel Colina from Venezuela, I've 29 years, I'm electronic engineer. Never could have my very own gun, my father have a 9mm Star (Spaniard) and a Whalther PP .22lr, here in Venezuela the firearms always have been expensives but with this Govt. (Chavez -the comunist :mad:) the fierearms are a virtually banned, a Glock cost about $3500, and you have to spend another $500-$750 for a permit (mandatory, even if you not carry), and the ammo prices are out of the map ($100 for 25rnd of 9mm JHP) :(.
So at this moment a fierearm is not my priority, but when I can ...I'll run to the store and buy a 9mm (the .40S&W or .357 or .45ACP are banned to carry, you can buy it but just only to have it in home). I like the Taurus 27/7 or a Stöeger Cougar, these are the options for the budget (arround $2800-$3000), maybe a .38 revolver, a 4" Taurus 82 (arround $2500).
I always be a firearm enthusiast, shoot every ocasion I can at the range. But the crime here make a firearm a necesity not a hobby.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Welcome to the forum Asmel,

Glad to have you aboard but I must tell you, reading what we can do here in the US with our firearms will make you want to move here!

cane

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Welcome.

Really, I don't know where to start. But, I must start somewhere.

Apparently, there is minimal fear of accessing this forum and obvously speaking out against the Communist Party. I am surprised that Hugo Chavez will allow any firearm to be kept for home use since you don't really own the home and have no right to game. This goes against the Communist Manifesto. Are there actually ranges where a private gun owner can go and perfect the use of that firearm? Aside from pricing, I see no difference in your laws compared to the laws of Washington, D.C.

Please, Asmel, you have made me curious, since it seems the US is leaning toward Communism with the up coming new President.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know where to start. But, I must start somewhere

Ok, sorry I've some misspells.... my english is not that good.... but this is my best effort...
In, Venezuela we have the same laws in firearms since 1939, and the cornerstone of this law is: THE GOVERNMENT OWN EVERY SINGLE FIREARM, ALL OF THEM... but this govt. puts more and more burocratics to the process... so you pay the firearm (a lot of money - now the only importer of firearms is the govt.), you pay taxes (another bunch of money), then you spend another pile of money for the carry permit, mandatory even if you not carry (for the permit you have to pass a psicological examination in military hospitals ($), health tests in military hospitals ($), declare how many fierarms do you have - detailed and notariated) after that you have to send you firearm (yes and pay again, unless is brand new, because this is included in price) to a office (just one office in all the country) to make balistic tests (shoot 3 bullets and store the bullet and case for a database in case of...) then.... you don't know when... 3-6 months most of the time, you are called by phone and reqested to travel to Caracas (more time and money) to recive your permit (after they take you a pic -in a suit- for the permit).... after you spend ..let's say $5000 for a pistol... the firearm belongs to the govt. anytime they can call by phone and askyou THEIR pistol... and the DARFA (like ATF) has declared that they are thinking in ban all firearms. That is during THIS GOVERNMENT, 12-15 years ago (Chavez is president sice 1998) you go to the store buy the firearm, go to any decent hospital make your test, send a envelope and wait to recive your carry permit, in a month o so... yes you spend money too but, in that time you could pay 3 to 6 minimal wages for all this (depend of what you want), today you pay 15 minimal wages to buy the cheapest gun... but no the gun that you want.... 12 years ago exist many firearms importers, you could CHOOSE the brand an model of pistol revolver, shootgun, ammo or rifle (even semiautos rifles... AR-15, FN-Fal and this kind of firearms recived a carry permit, today are "WEAPON OF WAR", but if yopu are a kamarade no problem don't need permit even just the party ID or a red hat and red "ché guevara" t-shirt combo) today you go to a firearm store an see 5 pistols (only 2 of a good brand) 2 revolvers (just Taurus) and 2 or 3 shotguns (none of a brand that you know) and almost no ammo, any caliber any brand (and import of reloading material is prohibited), in matter of fact in 1996 exist more tan 500 firearms stores, today exist less than 50 in the whole country.
About the "democracy" in Venezuela I could write for hours... to meke short the long history, here if the government think that your house is a "public interest property" they expropiate your house, they buy you house at the price that they like and you MUST to sell, and this is just a example.... think outside the box.... you house? how about you company/business? you ranch or farm? ...acording to Chavez WHY YOU NEED A HOUSE IN THE BEACH IF HERA ARE PEOPLE HOMELESS? so he has jeopardize the "private property" as state politics ...as a homework:
What happen to CEMEX, HOLCIM, LAFARGE, CHEVRON/TEXACO, SHELL, BRITISH PETROLEUM(BP), MOBIL, CRYSTALLEX, SAMBIL, RCTV, ITC (Inversora Turística de Caracas)? When you research this you found many names, other companies, that share the same history of this ones with the Venezuela government.
And I asume that comunist manifesto says that the "party kamarades" suddenly become insanely wealthy and are over the people and laws (obvius over god because their are atheist).... because this is our reality, same as rusians had theirs or chinese have other (but all very very look-a-like), all the comnuist are the same... in Venezuela we call it "the funnel law" the government (and the kamarades) lives in the bigger side and the people in the small one.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum Asmel,
Glad to have you aboard but I must tell you, reading what we can do here in the US with our firearms will make you want to move here!
Thanx... and is no the FIREARM thing that meakes me think in move there... is the FREDOM, is that I can think diferent from the government and exprese myself (until the laws permits and respecting the others way of thinking) whitout fear.... Here, I can't find job easily because I voted aganist the government in other past elections, the right of work is a HUMAN RIGHT, how I suposed to I'll to raise a family? ...I can't, at age of 29 I still living in my parents house (as many many of young Venezuelans) because I just can't live on my own, being a Engineer with 4 years of experience and a lawful abiding citizen worth nothing for this government if you think diferent. :(

...there is minimal fear of accessing this forum and obvously speaking out against the Communist Party
There always has to be one in the crowd... in the other post I expect to have satisfied your curiosity.... but I want to say more....
The comunist party does not exist here... just people who stand behind Chavez and people who don't... the people with the self prolcamed god are over the rest of the people and the laws, they do just what the want (thieves and killers in the name of revolution), period. The rest of the people is just cattle or enemies (anti-revolutionary, pro-imperialist, facist...).

... I am surprised that Hugo Chavez will allow any firearm to be kept for home use since you don't really own the home and have no right to game.
Answered in the other post. We don't really own nothing, and have no rights period.

...This goes against the Communist Manifesto.
Chavez don't believe in the comunist maniefiesto as anybody does today, It's like the abacus in the computer age, obsolete and was made in other social, political and economical reality.... comunism it's a time proven catastrophe, and every people with minimal education knows it (thats the problem with latin america, the education -as a people we don't have any- that's why time to time a crazy wins elections on all over our countrys...)

...Are there actually ranges where a private gun owner can go and perfect the use of that firearm?
Yes there are ranges, but as same as firearms the ranges are under government control, they can shut down if they like, and this is only about permits and licences, remember the "public interest property"? if they like, if any kamarade fall in love with your property.... sudenly became in a "public interest property" ...you know for the peoples well-being...

...Aside from pricing, I see no difference in your laws compared to the laws of Washington, D.C.
...I expect to have satisfied your curiosity

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Asmel,

As a retired engineer I can not immagine what you are faced with!

Are you not concerened that Chavez will read your posts and come knocking on your door?

I think the internet will be the downfall of most dictatorships over time.

Knowledge is the one weapon an individual can posess which can improve with more ammo, but needs no constant supply to provide the user with power!

I wish you well my friend.

cane

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
I wish you well. Welcome here.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
canebrake.-

...Are you not concerened that Chavez will read your posts and come knocking on your door?
I think the internet will be the downfall of most dictatorships over time.
Knowledge is the one weapon an individual can posess which can improve with more ammo, but needs no constant supply to provide the user with power!

No the government don't have the "tools" yet, besides I'm not a important person neither this is a important spot for them.... in matter of fact, the government do not have any concerns about individuals, Chavez have others priorities more important that Venezuela's people... like the oil prices (to mantain the money flows to avoid a social explosion), the health of Fidel Castro or stay on charge for many many years, for example... in february we'll have another election... he is asking to chage the constitution again to he can be reelected for life... :mad:
Yes the internet has been a rock on his shoe, there are a lots of pages of Venezuelans that tell to the rest of the world what is happening here, but remember, as a people we're poor, non educated and Chavez has insured himself that we still like that... every day there are more and more poors, the poverty levels are the highest besides Chavez government have the most highest oil prices ever! but the majority of venezuelans, those who lives in poverty don't undertand this concepts... and easily fooled by Chavez

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thank you for the very interesting post. I'm always interested in hearing about other countries. I do have one question for you. I don't think anyone would disagree that Chavez is anti-American but what evidence do you see of this in your country? Is this something that is prodcast to the population?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A sad history....

I don't think anyone would disagree that Chavez is anti-American but what evidence do you see of this in your country? Is this something that is prodcast to the population?
In genral lines, the answer is NO, the people here it's no anti-american, in matter of fact, if you ask the average joe here.... they want to visit/live in the States, Chavez has choke goups, a bunch of mercenaires that make noise when/where he want... days ago (befoere kick out the Israel consul) make a manifestation in front of the Israel embassy in Caracas to support the Palestine people.... the average venezuelan can't find Israel on a map! neither answer "why there's a war in middle east?"....the people in Venezuela have very diferent concerns, here the priorities are other than the middle east war or if the United States kill inocents in Irak!... all that manifestations that you see on TV that happen in Venezuela it's not the venezuela's people, that are mercenaires (choke groups) or any public employee (the government of Venezuela is the major employer of the country, remember the govt. own the entire oil industry & mine industry besides all the states and municipal administration employees, police departments, military, and any gvnt. bureu, ministery, or any govnt branch).... about public employees... is mandatory (if you want keep your job) that you asist to every manifestation, gathering, meeting that the government does, donate part of your salary if the "party" ask or needs money to finance campaings of the government party (PUSV) ...obviusly that you must are in the PUSV files, and they scares you telling they can know what was your vote, so you MUST vote for their cadidates.

That is what you see on TV, that's not Venezuela. The venezuelans are more worry about not being killed in the war that we fight in our streets, agnist poverty, crime or drougs (just in Caracas it's normal 50 deaths per WEEKEND - violent deaths/murder), food shortage, unemployment (I laugh louder when you are scarry about 2 digits unemplyment rate or inflation.... we have more than 20% of unemployment and 30% of inflation and growing, please don't belive in "OFICIAL" data). And here the crime it's a real problem and the government do nothing to improve this, but Chavez make a gift to his pal Evo Morales and Bolivia people.... 200 brand new police cruisers... It's sad but that are the things that most of the people here don't think... and Chavez says to them "the bolivia people is more fu***d that we do... so WE (not him, "WE") have to help them.... " and the cattle think that's ok to do that... Chavez has gived away more than $80 BILLIONS! in the past 10 years to poor countries that suddenly became anti-american countries, and that's a little bit fault of the american government.... they abandon latin america and focus on the middle east, now america lives in a "unfriendly neighborhood" because of worry about others far away neigborhoods (and can't move out)... Chavez has been spending money on left wings politicians of latin america for 10 years, now it's uphill to gain friends back in this hemisphere for the United States... You as americans should be more concern in your government relationship with latin america... if latin america it's fine then north america will be too(remember Regan's speech), that's why Chavez fools the people, not only here but in all latin america!

But the people in latin america it's not anti-american... maybe exist some left wing irregular groups (guerrillas) , but they don't represent the people of latin america.

I expect to have satisfied your curiosity

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Good to have you aboard Asmel - Thank you for taking the time to educate the rest of us on the real story from your part of the world. Very interesting read.

JD

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome and hello from Idaho. Glad to have you here.:D
Thanx!

Thank you for taking the time to educate the rest of us on the real story from your part of the world.
No, I'm here to learn from you, I just know a little of firearms, so I hope to learn from all of you!:D

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
But the people in latin america it's not anti-american... maybe exist some left wing irregular groups (guerrillas) , but they don't represent the people of latin america.
Asmel,

I wish to use this forum to help educate you to firearms, if you ask, someone will answer your questions.

Second, I would like to use you to spread the word to all of Venezuela that just like you, what you see is not me! (us; I think I can speak for the majority of the forum) For reasons beyond our control (and belief) the Left has taken over the US Media. THEY DO NOT SPEAK FOR ME!!!

I encourage you, and any of your friends seeking truth and information to sign-up and read what this crazy bunch of US patriots (many of us are proud veterans) talk about.

You are always welcome here.

cane

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wish to use this forum to help educate you to firearms, if you ask, someone will answer your questions.
Sure, I'm reading before shoot some questions...:D

I would like to use you to spread the word to all of Venezuela that just like you, what you see is not me! (us; I think I can speak for the majority of the forum) For reasons beyond our control (and belief) the Left has taken over the US Media. THEY DO NOT SPEAK FOR ME!!!
It's money talks, always has been that way and always will be.... no matter if democracy of left wing or right wing... in democracy is always the money that talks. But you have the certain that you have the chance of vote and chnage that! You as a people are more than the sum of your individuals, and that, my friend, it's call Fredom... you can have a government that you don't elect (millions vote for McCain, millions of people disagee with the Obama politics) but you have the chance to do something about it... as we had that chance in Venezuela, but we don't use it, now is too late, for us... to you, In the worst case scenario, you have 4 years of uphill road, in 4 years will be at top of that hill... and then you choose again: downhill now? continue uphill?... in the meantime you should do something, you have 4 years to demonstrate that Obama (not just Obama but any other candidate) not was the correct choice, and thru your representatives in Washington, and locally you colud be heard... here, we don't have these tools, so use it wisely.:cool:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
¡Bienvenido, Asmel! I've got a few friends who work in Venezuela often (they're engineers and work for oil companies) and had heard about the gun laws from them, it's terrible.

What worries me a lot is that my country has been getting closer and closer to Chavez (I'm from Argentina), our current president and our previous one have all sorts of deals going on with him. Our gun laws are good compared to yours, but pretty crappy when compared to US ones (specially when it comes to CCW permits, the type of ammo we're allowed to use, etc.) and our president would LOVE to make them worse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its stories like these that really make me proud to be an American..

Best wishes to you, perhaps one day you will have a freer government.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts