Firearms Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to be visiting Montana next week and will be "walking heavy". I have a CCW and have been reading up on your states laws to keep myself out of any trouble. Places I can't carry are schools, government buildings, Banks and credit unions, trains, and rooms where alcohol is poured and served. Which leads me to a question. I assume that means bars, taverns, and clubs but what about restaurants where alcohol is served?:confused: Is Montana a declaration state? (you must notify any peace officer that you are carrying when stopped for any reason).
Any other notes on carrying in your state would be great.
Thanks in advance for your responses.:)

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I suggest you contact the authorities of the State you are concerned with. Laws vary greatly from one state to another so it is not advisable to seek advice on the internet. Unless posted, restaurants are ok to carry in. Private business owners have the right to deny you the ability to carry in their establishment, but this is rare, even here in NY. If your permit is for Concealed Carry, nobody should be the wiser anyway. In all 50 states it is adviseable to answer a Police officers question honestly if he asks you if you have a weapon. I wouldn't volunteer the information however.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Yes I agree that Internet answerers are worth what you pay for them. But a lot of instructors do frequent these forums, I was an active member of PDO before it disappeared and understand that there are some misinterpretations by some. Almost all states either give the actual law as written or a brief summary of their gun laws on the state government sites. I have been to the Montana site and read through the laws posted there. Here in Utah there are a lot of little "gotchas" that aren't part of their "Concealed carry laws" I was hoping some one there may have some insight into any of those little quirks that may only be brought up in a training room. As for declaration here in Utah if you are stopped for even a minor traffic violation you "MUST" inform the officer if you are armed or face fines and or jail if discovered.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts