Firearms Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

I know most of you will be US-based gun owners or collectors so perhaps I'm in the minority being a) English and b) female! However, I'm hoping some of you guys with extensive (historical) knowledge in this field may be able to help me out from time to time over the next few months...

I work in the Pitt Rivers Museum, part of Oxford University, UK. We're currently putting together a new firearms display to open 2010. We are finding lots of exciting things that have been secreted in our stores, sometimes for decades. We have a lot of guns, dating from the C16th to the present day, because our founder and principal collector, General Pitt Rivers, was employed by the British Army to develop rifle technology in the mid-C19th.

As we come across things we don't know much about, I hope to post images and info on here and would request any comments or suggestions. I've just submitted my first post on Verey flare guns. I repeat most of my threads on GMIC too - a very useful site for those that don't know of it!

Cheers,

Helen

·
Registered
353 Posts
welcome aboard from Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Helen, Glad your here. I would like to know if any of those guns have engravings on them or are they going to be military type guns. There will be some of us that will love to see the engravings.

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Helen - We have a pretty broad and knowledgable base of folks here. Chances are good that if you have a question on an older firearm, someone here will know something about it, or can point you in a direction where you can get more info.

JD

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Helbeluk, glad to have you here and hope we can help in your search!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Dillinger - yes, that's the beauty of the internet - getting to reach out to so many people and tapping into further people or resources they may know!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi TonyTiger, yes we have a big mix of military grade, sporting, experimental and just plain unusual firearms from around the world, many with engravings. Some of the early matchlocks from China for example are just beautiful works of art. I hope that any pictures I don't put on here will eventually go on a 'web gallery' on the Museum's website.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Welcome here Helen.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Welcome from Venezuela

Welcome and glad to have you around :p

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Welcome Helen. The only rough part that you'll find with us, is when we compair our gun rights to yours. We will do what we can to keep ours.:)

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Welcome Helen,
TYhere are a lot of good people here to help you with questions. Will the musuem have a web site so us yanks can visit your collections on line?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi WDB - the Museum's website hosts a 'virtual gallery' of non-firearm weapons that I put together last year (swords, armour, bows, spears, clubs, etc). I've only just moved on to the gun section so may be a while before they get added to it but that's my aim - wouldn't be a proper weapons gallery without some firepower! Anyway, if you're interested in these other weapons, please feel free to have a gander as it stands at: PRM Arms and Armour Virtual Gallery (I welcome any comments or corrections)
As for the UK and its gun laws, all i will say (and this is my personal opinion, not the Museum's or University's!) is that there was a lot of kneejerk reaction legislation after Dunblane in '96 that has done little to reduce gun crime and it's a shame many of our competitive shooters have to go abroad to train...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts