Firearms Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I received an email inviting me to join, so here I am.

I'm one of those fortunate fellows with a wife that is at least as rabid about the sport of shooting as I am. As a result I can purchase just about anything I desire without having to get her prior permission or feel guilty about it.

We have both hunted (mostly in India) and have shot various disciplines over the years ranging from trap shotgun (Miroku) , centrefire precision handgun (K38) rapid-fire handgun (Walther GSP/OSP), service (K66) and practical pistol (M39, !911, P9,) matches, handgun metallic silhouette (M29 and T/C), military rifle (Martini 577/450, SMLE, Mauser, Car-15, SKK and right now, BPCR (Browning and 1874 Sharpes), muzzle-loading rifle T/C and Tryon) and shotgun (Mortimer), BP cartridge shotgun (Leige, Greener, Bonehill) and cap 'n' ball revolver (Ruger Old Army).

I also have a Collector's licence and own a number of English Capeguns and Rook rifles, German Drillings, a gem of a 7-bore Joseph Manton M/L rifle that once belonged to an Indian Maharajah, a 20-bore Westley Richards M/L rifle and a Swiss Martini-actioned Schuetzen rifle in 7.5 x 55 Swiss.

So, as you can see I have a very broad interest in firearms, ballistics and anything remotely related.

I retired 5 years ago and fill much of my spare time shooting, reloading, tinkering, fossicking and gossiping at the local gun club and travelling around Australia to gun shows.

I am not here to argue, but to learn, and I look forward to some interesting exchanges with those of you who share my passion for such an ineteresting and rewarding subject.

regards

tango1

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome!

:D Good to have an Aussie here!! I have a couple of friends in Australia who pastor churches. One of them is in Melbourne and the other is in Fremantle. Good to have some international discussion! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Yep, we still have a few gunshows around and a few bargains can be had. They are however beginning to look more like bric-a-brac flea markets than gunshows, but better that than nothing at all.

Thanks to the actions of a lone nutter let loose by our failed mental health system, the resultant unbalanced media hype and hysteria , political posturing and a gullible, pliable community, we lost our semi-auto longarms (of any calibre) and pump-action shotguns (the Prime Minister decided to include them stating he had seen 'The Terminator' and saw how destructive they could be - even though Arnie used a Winchester lever action in the movie).

That said, most other longarms including shotties are available to anyone with a clean record who can demonstrate an 'recognised need'. And thanks to a shooting on a Melbourne Uni campus by a non-English speaking, non-Australian (mainland Chinese) who somehow managed to obtain a hangun licence and 6 handguns in six months - something a law-abiding Aussie can't do, we lost all handguns above 9mm and any magazine over 10 rds.

Unfortunately we have no Second Amendment here so most just grit their teeth and get on with enjoying what we have left. But nothing will ever excuse or expunge the demonization that took place or justify the manner in which the gun-grab took place.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Unfortunately we have no Second Amendment here so most just grit their teeth and get on with enjoying what we have left. But nothing will ever excuse or expunge the demonization that took place or justify the manner in which the gun-grab took place.
Americans!! Let's all be thankful to our Founding Fathers that they had the foresight and the wisdom to give us our Second Amendment!!

And let's be vigilant to protect what our Founders gave us!! There are a LOT of people today who don't appreciate the legacy that they gave us!! And yes, it is a legacy that we ought to appreciate. It's one of the reasons that our republic has endured for going on 250 years. Maybe we will make it to that milestone!

Thanks, our "Down Under" friend, to remind us of our legacy!

MarMac

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have a go but please understand that I'm no expert on the subject. I understand only those parts of the Firearms laws that directly effect me. You may wish to search 'Australian Gun laws' or '1996 Firearms Legislation' on the net for more precise details.

In essence Australia's gun laws are supposed to be uniform ie: the same for each State and Territory. However that is not the case with some states arriving at their own interpretation of the 1996 Firearms act.

In the Territory I reside, the Australian capital Territory (ACT), those wishing to obtain a firearm must first complete a safety course (a sensible requirement) have a clean record (logical) and a 'demonstrated need' ie:Hunting, competition shooting and/or profession (security, park ranger etc.).

If the firearm is for competition or range use, the applicant must first be a member of an approved club and, after the issue of the licence, attend at least 4 organised competitions throughout each calender year.

In the case of handguns there is a six month probationary period. Club secretaries are required to endorse the application attesting to the applicants attendance and the suitability of the firearm for the discipline chosen.

Now, once a firearms licence has been issued and after you purchase a firearm, you have to wait a further 28 day 'cooling-off period' before you can take possession of it.

Firearms are divided into categories:

Category A - .22s and shotguns of any gauge up to 10.
Category B - centre-fire rifles up to but not including .50 cal and black powder arms of any calibre (including those in excess of 50 cal).
Categories C and D cover pump-action shotguns and semi-auto rifles ( no full autos allowed) These last two categories are issued only in exceptional circumstances that satisfy the Registrar of Firearms.

With one exception, there is no legally recognised competition (underlined)for these two catgories so they are outside the reach of the law-abiding plinker/comp shooter. That one exception might be for a trap or skeet shooter who is able to satsfy the registrar of their personal need for a P/A or auto shotgun.

Additionally, a farmer or professional hunter might be able to persuade the Registrar of their need for a Semi- auto or P/A.

The last category - H. covers handguns. All handguns, revolver or S/A, must be less than 40 cal and have a barrel length of 6 inches or more. S/As are limited to a ten shot magazine. In fact, all magazines pistol or longarm, are limited to 10 shots.

Recreational hunting is an approved reason for owning a longarm ( handguns are not approved for hunting).
Same conditions apply, safety certificate and clean record, but instead of range attendance, the applicant must provide a letter from a land owner (holding in excess of 40 acres) giving permission for the applicant to shoot on his/her property.

When not in use, all forearms are required to be locked away in a suitable approved security container/safe (specifications of the container/safe vary depending on the number and type of firearm). Ammo imust also be locked away in a seperate container and both are transported to and from the range secured to the vehicle in a suitable security container.

Self defence is not an 'approved' reason for owning a firearm in Australia and, as you can see, the storage arrangements make it near impossible to legally defend yourself with one. The Police would argue that if you had time to unlock your firearm and ammo, you would have had enough time to call them and flee the scene.

Of course, like all laws, they only apply to the law abiding and nothing has stopped, or will ever stop those criminally inclined to obtain whatever type of firearm they like.

As an example, there are at least 5 LAWs and an untold number of SAWs and assault rifles missing from Government armouries that are known to be in the hands of terrorists and criminal gangs in Sydney.

Australia does not now and has never ever had a gun problem. We do however have a problem with ethnic gangs protecting their drug turf and settleing scores and up till recently, fueding Middle-eastern families using the sanctuary of Australia to continue their conflicts and engage in illegal activities.

As a youngster I would walk, or catch a bus to school on cadets days (Wednesday) with an .303 SMLE slung over my shoulder and every second evening, a few mates and I would ride our bikes to our favourite bunny patch with an array of old .22s. Never raised an eyebrow.

Do that today and you and you will have the Ninja turtles and their choopers filling the sky and the anti-gun zealots and media hoping for blood.

Yep - we've come a long way.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Welcome from Iowa... Lots of nice people here.

I won't be visiting but did like the movie "Quigley Down Under"

·
Premium Member
22,674 Posts
Welcome. You will find a lot of nice folks here, and a lot of knowledge.

Sorry to hear about your laws. I live in Wyoming and we have no restrictions on firearms at all at the state level, except for criminals and lunatics.

Of course we must comply with federal restrictions, but even those are not onerous.

Several of our states have state level laws similar to yours.

·
Banned
13,224 Posts
I am glad my wife is not rabid. She has been known to bite!

·
Administrator
26,868 Posts
Yes- in most cases, attempting to respond to an 8 or 9 year old message that does not involve child support payments is an exercise in futility. For members that do this on a regular basis, we have them go stand on the lawn, sing happy birthday to the thread, buy it a birthday card and a cake...…….

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.