Firearms Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My name is Bob, and I spent 28 years as a Law Enforcement Officer in a suburban department near Dayton, Ohio. I retired in 1999 and have to say I miss it every day (the people, the citizens, NOT the BS politics).

I remember when I first started. You could carry whatever you wanted as long as it was a revolver and chambered a .38 special, hah! I still have and will never part with, my S & W Model 19 4", that I carried into the late '70's, when they started letting us carry the semi-auto pistol. This was quite a step, as the powers that be were worried about interchanging ammo. What if you or your buddy run out and you can't resupply? Well, I carried a Browning Hi-Power, 13+1, and 2 spare mags. of 13 each. I told the Boss I'm carrying 40 rounds and if I run out, I don't deserve any more. Plus, I never used up the 18 I carried with the revolver.

Late 80's I switched to the Colt Series 80 1911 Government Model in the .45 after my Father-in-Law passed away and Mom gave it to me. I LOVE that weapon and it still remains my favorite.

Mid-Late 90's the Department decides they are going to start issuing weapons, and decide on the Glock .40 cal. I have to admit the first time I saw one, I didn't like it, didn't even want to touch one. Where are the safeties? But I relented and fired one and found it to be one of the finest shooting handguns I'd ever fired. But no safeties..........

They decided to only buy about 4-6 a year and were issuing them to the newest Officers first. As I was well up the food chain, I retired before being issued one. But I bought a Glock 30 for [extra] Concealed Carry (the 1911 still sits prominently in the small of my back.

SOAPBOX MODE ON

Now THE MOST IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR ANY OF YOU IN THIS FORUM FROM OHIO!!!!!

THE UPCOMING ELECTION IS CRITICAL!!!! OHIO IS AN IMPORTANT STATE FOR BOTH OF THE CANDIDATES!!! DECIDE IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR RIGHT TO KEEP, BEAR, AND CARRY YOUR FIREARMS!!! YOU KNOW WHICH PARTY WILL WORK TO PRESERVE THAT RIGHT, AND YOU KNOW WHICH ONE WILL BUST THEIR BUTTS TO TRY AND TAKE IT AWAY!!!! GET OUT ON ELECTION DAY AND VOTE!!!!!

Supposedly, NO candidate has ever occupied the White House that didn't carry OHIO!!! One of the chief hypocrites, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, who's a major anti-gunner along with her compadres, has herself a concealed carry permit issued by the State of California. (Don't take my word, check it out).

SOAPBOX MODE OFF

Peace to all. And be safe.

Bob

·
Banned
6,964 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Bob.

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Bob - You had me loving you right up until the time you said Glock...LOL :D

I look forward to reading your insight on alot of the issues that come up around here. It would appear you have quite an extensive past to draw from.

JD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the Forum Bob - You had me loving you right up until the time you said Glock...LOL :D

JD
Not to despair, JD. While briefly separated from my wife (she says she needed the money, but I think it was out of spite) sold my .45 Colt 1911 to a friend. Through begging, pleading, etc. I got him to sell it back to me, for what he gave her for it no less.

Now that I have my trusty Colt back, and with 2 Gun Shows locally before the elections, I think Mr. Glock just might get sold or traded for something else, like maybe an assault rifle. I have no real need for one, but friends in the know have told me that if the elections go haywire (and you know what I mean), that gun prices are gonna soar, and some of those rifles might become scarce.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts