Firearms Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of getting a bushmaster with an EOTech scope, and was looking for info on the products, and found this site. What a nice site. Anyone have a bushmaster w/the EOTech site? Do you like it? Are other sites better? Also, I am thinking of getting a laser max for my glock 9mm, anyone have that? Anyone have a different site? I have been reading up on the internet and they both seem to be really good but I'm looking for other opinions.
Thank you for your help :)

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
First, Welcome to the Forum.

Second, there are several threads on AR's here to read through - with a lot of opinions and varied range reports. I would read through them and see what you think.

As for the EoTech, I have two, and I like them very much. That said, they are expensive, so keep that in mind.

As for lasers, well, I don't really like them because they point TWO ways, which just highlights your location for return fire. Something to think about. But, no, I don't own a laser sight.

Best of luck in your research.

JD

·
Banned
427 Posts
:confused: Why screw up an otherwise perfectly good Glock with a laser sight?

On the AR what you're thinking about will work just fine; personally, however, I'd rather have this ..... ACOG

Oh, yeah, welcome aboard! ;)

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Thanks for the info. I want the laser because if someone breaks into my house I think that would scare them.
That's not really a good reason to get a laser sight, to be honest. If your goal is to scare them, get a big dog bark recorded and play it on your home theater.

IF someone breaks into your house, the last thing you should be worried about is "scaring" them, you need to think about personal survival.

A laser in the dark is going to tell the bad guy you are there, and where you are because all he has to do is follow the beam. It shows him your angle of a shot, your point of aim, and what he has for immediate cover from those points. Then it tells him where to return fire too. :eek:

I would venture to guess if you tried "lighting up" someone like G21, with the intentions of "scaring him, his wealth of pistol training would probably end up with you+an @ss full of lead. :D

Luckily for you he doesn't make a living breaking into houses... LOL

Dump the laser idea. Use the money and get yourself some more ammo. Practice with the weapon until it becomes an extension of your arm. Then buy a couple of extra locks for the door and hope you never have to use the weapon for it's intended purpose.

JD

EDIT: Unless you have about $7K to blow on night vision goggles and an IR Laser, then I retract that whole situation above... LOL

·
Banned
16,851 Posts
Welcome lovetoshoot

I`ve heard and read the same thing about the laser type sites.It probably would be a powerful deterant to see the dot on some-one`s torso but,you do also give-away you`re posistion.THIS IS THE BEST FOUM GOING !!:cool: Welcome again.:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you - I never would have thought of that. When I went to the website they had listed letters from police officers of how the beam made the suspects surrender faster. Yeah, I don't want them to know where I'm at... but would it be an advantage to use if I had cover and could hit the target from a strange angle?

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Again - Why broadcast your position? There is a reason the sniper is one of the most feared aspects of a battlefield. Having someone shoot at you, and not having an immediate idea of where the shots are coming from, has a VERY powerful & profound effect on the psyche of anyone who values their skin.

I am sure that the website does have some reviews from cops, and I am sure they are all glowing reviews. What they don't mention is that the criminals might not have been armed with a gun, they might not have been willing to draw down on the cops or they might have given up regardless of the laser just because the cops were there.

Look, lasers look great in the movies. They let the audience know what's going on and where the guns are pointed. But, in a real world, life and death situation, my idea of a "good" time gunfight is me getting all the rounds from my gun, into your body, before you even know where I am shooting you from. That gives me the best chance of going back to my loved ones afterswards.

Outside of that, I don't really have much interest in having a running gun battle through my own house, shooting up my own stuff, and risking getting shot back.

JD

·
Banned
427 Posts
Thank you - I never would have thought of that. When I went to the website they had listed letters from police officers of how the beam made the suspects surrender faster. Yeah, I don't want them to know where I'm at... but would it be an advantage to use if I had cover and could hit the target from a strange angle?
:rolleyes: Oh boy, you should have listened to Dillinger the first time around. First - unless you really know what you're doing - you shouldn't be screwing around with any polymer frame pistol. After 5 years over at, 'The Kool-Aid Kingdom' (Glock Talk) I can tell you that, something like, half the people who have trouble with their new Glock pistols have done some sort of modification that is either, 'less than perfect', or has been incorrectly installed.

Quite honestly, I would have to be among the very last to advise you to leave your new Glock stock - None of mine are! (But, then again, I know what I'm supposed to be doing; I know what does and doesn't work well; and, truth be known, I've already paid the price in occasional failures and a drawer full of junk parts in order to learn the right way to modify a Glock.) ;)

Listen, in my experience a laser sight is one of the best pistol training tools in the world. If you want to teach yourself how to point shoot, go ahead, go right on out and get one. Just be aware that not all polymer frames flex or vibrate in exactly the same way; and, there are a lot of Glocks out there that do NOT run well with lasers attached. But, again, for training purposes you can't beat them!

I must be posting too much because too many of you guys seem to already know that I'd be among the last people to give away my position in the dark. Still, after many years of not doing it this way, I have finally started to carry a high intensity HANDHELD combat light with me at night. (Outside the house I wouldn't be too quick to use it, though. Instead, I'd prefer to just stand there and watch for awhile.)

Dillinger is correct: If you attempt to use a pistol-mounted light or a laser against someone who knows what he's doing with a gun, you stand an excellent chance of becoming, 'toast' yourself! Both are combat pistol accessories whose skillful use requires multiple operators to act together in unison, and be able to quickly bring converging lines of fire onto a target.

After a lifetime of pursuing this sort of information I, quite honestly, consider a lone gunman with a pistol-mounted light to be the modern day equivalent of the Lone Ranger. ('Kimosabe, you got 'um silver bullets in that thing, too?') ;)

Glocks already have enough frame flex and guide rod problems without you doing anything to worsen the situation. If you want to do something simple to improve the performance characteristics of that new Glock, get yourself a Lone Wolf 4.5# connector and do a, '25 cent polishing job'. (Google it!)

If your Glock has the factory stock plastic sights, replace them with something durable and authentically useful like: Heinie, 'Slant-Pro Straight 8's'; Novak, 'Extreme Duty'; or, Tru-Glo, 'TFO' pistol sights.

If you can still afford to burn up lots and lots of ammo, (I can't) find an IDPA club in your area and learn how to shoot combat pistol. Good luck to you! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Laser sight is out! Thank you all for all of your advice. I"m going to google the other types of sites mentioned above.
Thanks again for sharing your wealth of knowledge with me!!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Laser sight is out! Thank you all for all of your advice. I"m going to google the other types of sites mentioned above.
Thanks again for sharing your wealth of knowledge with me!!
Glock makes good tritium sights, as do Meprolight and Trijicon. Night sights allow you easier targeting in the dark without broadcasting where you're at too much. Look for 2 color sights, they'll help you unconsciously find your front sight in the dark.

Remember, if there is someone in your house at night that is a threat to you and yours, chances are that they have more experience doing what they are there to do than you have with a firearm. The last thing you want to do is give them an extra advantage.

Learn to use your firearms with open sights. Yank the EOTech from your rifle until you're proficient with the open sights. Don't count on using either weapon in the dark until you can operate all of the functions in zero illum.

Training equals lethality. Your lethality may equal your survival. Therefore, training may equal your survival. Having said that, it's also best to know when to turn tail and run or when to take up a defensive position, rather than blindly going on the offensive. These too come with training.

When in your home, your first action should always be dialing 911. Custer proved what happens when you go into combat alone and under gunned.

You may want to look into some basic and advanced classes in the use of your pistol and rifle/carbine. Thunder Ranch is a good place, but a quick trip through Google will turn up others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts