Firearms Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Jeff and I have always been interested in handguns but never owned one- I just received my gun permit (non-carry) from my local police dept. It took 4 long weeks to get a permit. I am now on a quest to find the perfect handgun.

I look forward to meeting some great people on the forum-

JJ

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
What's the permit for?

And, welcome.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Welcome In! Jeff13

Welcome to the forum, Jeff. Are carry permits readily available to all in NJ? I've heard they have some tough gun laws?:confused:

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Welcome from Venezuela

Welcome and glad to have you around! :D

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
welcome Jeff,
Take some time and find a range that rents pistols and shoot as many as possible before you buy. Then you will know the pistol that best fits your budget and your ability.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
WELCOME JJ

I am now on a quest to find the perfect handgun.
"the perfect handgun" is a myth! Your personal choice will be as close as you can get.

I'm not biased, I'm a bigot!

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Biased info, Jeff. Biased is not bad, in this case.

What kinda $ you gonna spend? That will help settle the stomachs of those who really know, and get the answer you are looking for.

Still, clue me in on why you had to get a permit for (non-carry-your words)?:confused:

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Welcome, lots of good info here!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Welcome to the forum JJ.

I grew up in Fanwood (Union County), but have lived in California now for 31 years. Still get back that way once a year or so to visit with my family.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I quickly found out that NJ is pretty tough when it comes to owning a handgun. I have a permit to own a gun but not to carry- unless I am going to the shooting range. If I do travel with the gun it must be locked up in the trunk of my car- per my local Police Dept.

I want the gun mainly for home protection. I live in a pretty safe neighborhood but lately we've had a couple break-ins not too far from where I live. It would be nice to be able to protect my family especially with a baby on the way. I do plan to take some shooting lessons at a local range. I want to make sure the bullets always hit the intended target.

I really appreciate all the advice I've received. I will test out a couple revolvers and pistols and make my decision. I really like the look of the snub-nose. Don't know much about them but I am sure I can find a couple threads that will give me the pros & cons.

Have a great weekend!
Jeff

·
Registered
313 Posts
Welcome Jeff

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Jeff,
Find a range that rents and shoot as many pistols as possible. Let the range know what you plan to use the pistol for, what type of pistols you like and learn from there. If the range knows you want to buy a pistol and also want training they will be truly helpful. If by chance there are a couple of ranges that rent/train/sell in your area check them out and let them know your shopping different ranges as well. Besides the firearm sale and the training sale they want you to come back and practice (a new good return customer who might buy another firearm in the future) so even though gun sales are way up most good shops/ranges are looking for the repeat customer. Take your time and find the pistol you want.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts