Firearms Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy , My interest is groundhoghunting .I have been hunting or shooting groundhogs for at least 10 + years . I spend alot of time scouting , watching and hunting . I take this very serious I have a steel table made that is adjustable and i shoot off of bags and a rest that i trailer . My guns are bench guns and i enjoy long range hunting and shooting . If someone has the same interest and would like to chat please feel free .At the present I'm shooting a tricked out XP 100 pistol 6 br tightneck this pistol was smithed by Dave Bruno sporting a 8 x 32 N/F Br scope . I'm not looking for any places to hunt as i have more than enough places already . I would like to find a 500 + yard range within around 50 miles of home.Look forward to chatting .

thank you

Jim

·
Administrator
26,316 Posts
Welcome, fellow son of the Old Domnion! There are few of us lurking around here, scattered from Bristol to Winchester to the Eastern Shore. I'm a bit South of you.

Good luck with finding a range- I was driving to Quantico to use the 1000 meter. When I lived in Colorado, belonged to the Ben Lomond Gun Club, and we had a 500+ acre range. Now I belong to Black Creek shooters- nice range, but only 100 yds. I DO have some farmers that let me shoot whistlepigs, and I can usually find about 400+ meters. Not in it to your degree- mainly running an older .220 Swift.

In the meantime, glad you found your way to us. Good folks here- remember to play nice with others, keep a sense of humor, ask questions if you have them, contribute to the discussion when you can.

There's some BBQ and cornbread in the oven, beer's in the washtub. Grab a plate, pull a chair up by the fire, make yourself comfortable. Poker starts at 7.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks C3 for the welcome . Ole Black creek gun range .Hey i'm a Mechanicsville boy I was just down KC's this past summer right after a storm KC was or did scope a 30 Br barrel I had . We were laughing it had been 30 years since I had been down there but I heard he had a scope with a TV in fact we had to fire up the generator to bore scope this barrel . Yep I remember late 70's going to KC back then all he asked is if you would purchase the targets you shot at while there . Kc didnt want to take the money for looking at the barrel I insisted that he put it to good use and take Mrs Young out for dinner . Mighty fine people. Here's my longest this year I missed 600 yards by a couple of yards. 6.5 x 284 built by Kelby's

jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Welcome here from Oregon.

·
Administrator
26,316 Posts
Glad you know KC- he has done some minor smithing for me time to time- and either charges $5 or nothing- so I have been bringing him books- got him a copy of Suydam's US Cartridges & Their Handguns. Looking forward to warmer weather- couple of my grandkids shoot there with me.

·
Supporting Member
12,182 Posts
Jim,

Welcome on board with us! There are a lot of predator and varmint hunters here. Obviously you are much better at it than I! Using a Pistol "WOW". :D I use a rifle in my case! When I lived in Indiana that was my main love also. In fact while attending college a friend of mine had a large farm. At 300-500 yards across a large valley I would set up a fire point, mat, rifle and bi-pod, cooler and study my lessons. And occasionally peer out across the meadow and onto a large rolling hill across the spance. Popping a ground hog now and then as I saw them walking or scurrying across the meadow or on the hill. It was a blast!
Today I am hooked on Coyotes, Bobcats and Pigs. Glad to have you with us! NICE PISTOL by the way!

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks 03 yep i can tell . Nothing like a good book to glance at while out in the field . And dont let them pistols surprise ya they can shoot like a rifle . Hey thanks for the welcome .I'm pruddy lucky my neighbor has a little over 2,000 acres here some crop and some hay .I spend most of my time on the cropland until its to tall .I'm not greedy at all and i average 50 -80 groundhogs a year . This year I am going to strech the barrel on the 6br pistol hoping to get out past 400 yards . I have a 6 Dasher being built but i dont think it will be ready the first part of the spring.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Welcome to FTF

Welcome from Georgia. Glad you found us. Enjoy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome from Richmond!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member!

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Please DO NOT post (including in your signature) advertisements, links to sell or advertise if you are not a vendor.

New folks- Please read this!!! << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

Join the Gun Owners of America, a worthy 2nd Amendment protector.

Gun Owners of America << Click Here

Please join the NRA, it serves all gun owners well.

Join the NRA << Click Here

1 - 14 of 14 Posts