Firearms Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I want to say hello.

I am afraid that I am joining this forum out of Necessity rather than interest. Please don't take offense, Before I entered the Navy Ten years ago I was an avid hunter and fisherman but have since only come back to fishing.

Recent events with a possible threat to my family have changed my mind. Three nights ago a woman tried getting into my house at 2Am, Her boyfriend who is a convicted felon and living across the street had beat her up one side and down the next, She was delirious and trying to get away from him. Once I let her into the house and called the cops she disclosed that he had a gun and that he was drunk.

At that point I was left feeling completely helpless and defenseless. I am going against my wife's wishes in doing this but I feel compelled to purchase a weapon for home defense and plan on teaching her how to use it. These are the reasons behind joining the forum.

That is my story and I want to say hello from the state of GA. Any suggestions or help from anyone is greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Welcome err76; I'm from Georgia as well. Good to have a house gun if you ever need it, also good to have a carry piece if you ever need it. The world is not a very safe place to live, never has been, and it's only getting worse.

I've never been good at picking first guns for other people but I seem to be faster and more accurate with the 1911s than anything else, manly due to the natural point of aim, fast triggers, the frame design, and the lower axis of the bore to the grip. Trued fighting pistols, that's for sure. Sig Sauers is next on favorites, with double action magnum revolvers closing the gap.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Welcome fellow Georgian, if you need any advice on choosing a good gun just ask and ye shall receive. If you're near Atlanta, be glad to invite you on a range trip with me as I have over a dozen handguns you'd be welcome to test out.

Also, it's fairly cheap and easy to get your CCW permit here in GA, probably a good option for you...

·
Banned
6,964 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of the circumstances that brought you here, but hopefully they'll be resolved peacefully and soon.

Personally, I recommend either a Mossberg 500 series or Remington 870 in 20ga for home defense. They're inexpensive, reliable, effective, generally won't over-penetrate and the sound of the slide being racked will cause most people to fill their pants and then run away.

A 20ga is effective for home defense but has a little less recoil.

·
Registered
184 Posts
welcome GA..

..son when you go as far as domestic fued,and you let somebody in
your private home,be ready for the worst re-sults, a friend of mine
was just murdered,for driving a u-haul for her,,she was killed also
a mad husband will shoot anything in his way,the shooter also took
his own life,three dead in the yard is not pretty...do what you said
get a fire-arm ...Welcome:D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welcome, Get a gun, teach your wife how to use it and to be comfortable shooting it.
Photog is right, if you ever have to pull your gun, you better be prepaired to shot. If you need to pull your gun your life is on the line.
For home defence I agree with others the 1911 is tops, or any .45 will do.
A pump action shot gun might be a good investment for the time being.
Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts