Firearms Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have just decided to take up hunting again after giving it away about 10-15 years ago when our goverment banned semi-auto rifles and shot guns, I handed in my Franci semi auto shotgun and sold my 7mm Rem mag rifle, I have recently got the hunting bug after visiting a friends farm. So I am looking forward to going out to the range and firing a few shots once again. I plan to buy a new Ruger M77 target rifle to use at the range and for hunting hence my question of what caliber to buy, Regards Jamie. Australia.

·
Banned
6,964 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Jamie.

What sort of game do you plan to hunt? That will help determine what caliber will be best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, I plan to hunt goats and pigs up in the mountains and pest control on the farm out to 300-500 yards, I am leaning towards the 25-06 handloading 100gr Nosler SPBT projectiles, I have purchased a Bushnell Banner scope 6-18 X 50 for the Ruger rifle I plan to buy. Thanks Jamie. ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello, i have just decided to take up hunting again after giving it away about 10-15 years ago when our goverment banned semi-auto rifles and shot guns, I handed in my Franci semi auto shotgun and sold my 7mm Rem mag rifle, I have recently got the hunting bug after visiting a friends farm. So I am looking forward to going out to the range and firing a few shots once again. I plan to buy a new Ruger M77 target rifle to use at the range and for hunting hence my question of what caliber to buy, Regards Jamie. Australia.
Welcome! Many of us are intensely interested in the status of gun rights of our friends elsewhere. How is it that you may actively return to firearms use, in view of the bans you mention?

A friend in Canada has explained his dilemma at length; it is so amazingly convoluted, and hard to understand.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome! Many of us are intensely interested in the status of gun rights of our friends elsewhere. How is it that you may actively return to firearms use, in view of the bans you mention?

A friend in Canada has explained his dilemma at length; it is so amazingly convoluted, and hard to understand.....
Hello genie, Now in Australia Im pretty sure most or all Semi Automatic rifles and shotguns are banned, you can own a bolt action rifle or a Under/over shotgun only, I even think pump action is banned as well, I could be wrong as I have been out of the hunting scene for a few years.When the bans were introduced back in the 90's I sold all my relaoding gear and rifles as I lost faith in the SSAA. ( Sporting shooters assocation of Australia ) But have recently decided to get back into the sport, As I plan to buy a new Ruger M77 Target grey rifle in 25-06 cal, hence its a bolt action rifle so is legal to own. I hope this info helps you a little, Jamie. Australia.

·
Banned
427 Posts
:) Gud 'A, Mate!

Yup, the 25-06 Remington would be a good choice for a reasonably hard-hitting long range shooter. How available is the brass where you are? (A 243 Winchester would do it, too, just not quite as well.) ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts