Firearms Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope to learn a great deal here.

I'm an Army Reserve vet (combat engineer) prior to 2K and then decided to go AD Air Force (f-16 crew chief) where my last duty station was Aviano, AB Italy. I had a motorcycle crash that resulted in 4 surgeries to my knee so I opted to get out and not be on a career profile. With the economy and all, maybe I should have stayed...even with a profile.

After that, I ran landscape/lawn care business. I did well but it tapered as people cut back on luxuries in 07. That's when I decided to do what I'd do for free. I went to the School of Automotive Machinists in Houston. I doubled up on courses and got done with a 4.0 in 13 months. Even so, and moving to NC, I couldn't find an opportunity with NASCAR.

After that year of NC...I moved back to Ky where I live now. I'm still looking for a way to spend the rest of my GI Bill to pursue a different career path and I'm curious as to whether I'd be gifted at gunsmithing since I did so well in block machining/cyl head machining/cyl head porting....finite measurement tools...perfectionist in general.

Anyone know if it's a viable path? I wouldn't think I'd make the $$ doing it but can it make an "ok" living. I'm mainly looking at liking my job. My wife makes the big $$, lol. I'm currently a dispatcher at a local trucking company making damn good money for being part time but I need more and would rather work a full week.

Do any of you have any words of wisdom/recommendations for this industry? Good or Bad idea?

I was hoping my machining knowledge could correlate to me being a good student for gunsmithing possibly.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts

to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member!

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Please DO NOT post (including in your signature) advertisements, links to sell or advertise if you are not a vendor.

New folks- Please read this!!! << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Welcome and thank you for serving! Lots of great ppl here!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Welcome!

Where in Central KY? I'm in Louisville, but lived in Lebanon for four years right after the War of 1812. Lovely country.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member!

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Please DO NOT post (including in your signature) advertisements, links to sell or advertise if you are not a vendor.

New folks- Please read this!!! << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here
Thanks for the welcome and I'll refer to the acronym list, for sure!

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Welcome to FTF. I'm from lexington. Will be moving to Louisville in a few months.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Welcome to FTF

Welcome from Georgia. Glad you found us. Enjoy. Thank you for your service to our country.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Welcome, it's "Intense"-ly gratifying to have you join us! Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Welcome Sapper! I'm also in Louisville and glad you found us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts