Firearms Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the members of the Firearms talk.
While browsing the internet I found this sight. It caught my attention. I have now retired from gun engraving; my hands are a bit shaky and I have developed other interests. I now engrave coins as they take much less time as my patience has become limited with age. For over twenty five years I learned and worked with diligence. The noble art of gun engraving became my teacher in a quiet little studio in Cody Wyoming. I engraved mostly on older Winchester rifles, as I found no great appeal in modern weapons. I did my own stock work, checkering, carving and metal finishing.
My gunsmith experience began in Portland Oregon in 1964 where I served my apprenticeship under a fine general gunsmith named Tom Novotny.
Later on I worked for the Paul Jaeger Gun Co. in Pennsylvania. There I worked on fine shotguns and rifles doing stock work, metal finishing and general repairs.
While working there my interests turned to learning how to engrave. I left Jaeger and moved to Virginia to work for the Ken Hurst engraving Company. After a short apprenticeship with him, I went to Italy where I finished my engraving training in 1983. On returning to the States I was given the position of Master engraver for the Winchester Custom Shop engraving exhibition guns including the Winchester model 94/22, 94, 70, 12 and 21. Since that day I did nothing other than engrave for a living. I left the Winchester Gun Company after two years and moved back to Oregon, I opened my first engraving studio, eventually settling down in Cody, Wyoming.
Engraving was not a hobby, it was my life and I was motivated to labor daily at a vise because the bear was at the door and the cupboards were bare. The effort applied has paid off and I now enjoy my golden years here in Mexico at latitude N 17^33,008’.longitude W 21^26.344’ (check me out on Google Earth.) I have been a member of both the Custom Gun Makers Guild and The Fire Arms Guild of America.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Incredible work. Got anymore pictures?

On a side note, I just got back from a 4 week long stay in Powell, WY. Beautiful country if you can get past the smell.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to the forum, hope the weather in mexico is kind to you, a hell of a lot warmer than Wyoming. You have done your trade well, beautiful work, well done.

·
Registered
909 Posts
welcome!
hope you enjoy your stay
and please do share some more pictures of your work
:D

·
Banned
414 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Beautiful!
More pics Please

·
Registered
280 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous work. More pictures would be great! What pushed you into Mexico?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What drove me to Mexico

What drove me to Mexico? Man that is a loaded question that has multiple answers. I grew up in New Hampshire where the State motto is “ Live Free or Die”. I never thought too much about it. I just accepted the fact that it was true. I used to own a small gun shop and did general repairs, bought and sold guns, hunted and fished for sport. Then in the mid 60’s the firearms laws changed; I accepted that. Then in the 70’s new speed limits were imposed across the nation, I accepted that. Then in the 80’s Big Brother appeared and began to interfere with more of the freedoms that I thought were my heritage. Taxation without representation and forced decisions as to where my children had to go to school, left me confused.
It was at that point that I became aware of being forced to accept rules and regulations that did not agree with the motto of my home state.
I guess that when the O J Simpson trial came to its sorry conclusion I finally decided that the life I had known as a young man no longer existed. And when Bill Clinton and his wife violated the White House I lost all hope and pride for and in my country. Mexico has many problems and is far from prefect but at least I have been able to wake up each morning without the blathering media telling me what I should believe for the day. Here if you are stopped for a driving infraction you are not forced into an interrogation. Where I live no person can enter your property unless you allow them. Your home is still your castle. You can still go fishing without a Game warden behind every bush. My property taxes are reasonable and food is priced fairly. Electricity is charged on a graduated scale so that the poorer people get a break. I have no problems in the U.S. I still vote and pay my dues but I prefer to live here where the children go to school laughing and singing, still. I hope this answers your question. I have written and published my memoirs. They are titled A Gifted Man. If you care to browse them you can do so for free at: www.iuniverse.com Thanks for appreciating my work. Here is another bit of my engraving work.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are a very talented man.

This thread is what brought me to this site, by doing a search for Paul Jaeger.

Up until last night, I had never heard of Paul Jaeger and then my Dad bought one of his custom Winchester Model 12 shotguns from the mid 1950's.

This is one of the finest looking shotguns I have ever held. It is fully engraved with gold inlay, beautiful wood with adjustable stock.

I will get some pictures next time I'm at my Dad's house.

Do you know where a good source for information on Paul Jaeger shotguns would be?

Thanks
Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts