Hellllpppppp night sights

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by cblowe13, Oct 29, 2013.

1. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Bought night sights for my g23. They were a bit larger than the original sight so I got to filing and I did a little much. Now it will slide through both sides and can get a bite. I'm thinking maybe jb weld and file that down till it bites after it's dry? Any thoughts suggestions

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You should order another sight and start over. You don't want to ugly up your glock.

Attached Files:

3. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

I can't think of anything else...but if you do go with JB then make sure to gouge the sight otherwise on the smooth surface it with break free.

4. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Sorry not sure what you mean

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you have a punch you can put a dimple or two in the bottom edge of the metal on the sight. This should work like staking and make the sight bite into the dovetail. If you do it this way the staking marks should be on the sight where it is inside the dovetail and not visible.

6. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

Put groves in the metal on the sight otherwise the jb won't have anything to hold onto. If you put it on a smooth surface it won't really stick well.

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

You could also shim it if loose enough. A metal strip on loctite.

8. SSGN_Doc

I would recommend against JB Weld. It gets brittle when it's thin. Trying to manipulate a shim while you drive or push the sight in would be a bit of a pain. Possible to do, but a pain.

9. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Don't use JB weld. Buy another sight if you can't fight a shim in.

You will lose all the value in that gun if you jack the slide up.

Better yet, spend the $20 to get your local armorer at your licensed Glock dealer to do it for you.

10. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

He's not talking about JB welding it into the slide. He wants to rebuild the material on the sight itself then fit it.

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Start over with new sights. If it's a good gun it deserves to be done right.

12. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Nah I'm not re paying for it unless necessary. Call me cheap but if I can fix it why buy a new one? I'm going to try the jb weld tonight and see how it works. Just don't have to many more ideas. Nothing will be ruined by messing with the sight as far as the slide so Idc in open to opinions. Besides starting over because that's a obvious

13. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

This is ridiculous. Seriously, you've ruined the sights you already purchased. If they were for your Glock they shouldn't have needed any trimming or fiddling with to go in, there's a tool for that.
    You clearly don't have any idea what you're doing, the 'helllllllpp' you need is a proper gunsmith and at least a new rear sight.

Even if you get them to go in and stay in, there not going to last.. You're going to reach for your pistol one day and the sight(s) are going to be gone. You really should take it some where. There's zero shame in having it done right.

14. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

There is zero shame but it's not ridiculous to want to do something on my own. The sights were a bit off when they came in, just figured I could fix them. I haven't yet but I will. Who cares it's my gun I want to try it by myself with guidance through you guys that help. If it doesn't work oh well I tried. How else do you learn without trying. If it doesn't stay on forever then I'll get a new sight no big deal. It's not my go to gun if shtf. Got plenty of others with night sights installed including a shotty. So it's not a big deal. All I wanted was help on putting them on not telling me to run to a gunsmith. I'm not stupid I know they can do it. Not everyone runs to someone immediately and hands them cash to fix whatever. If I don't then maybe I will after I TRY!

15. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I did not mean to be offensive.
    Once you cut the board too short there's no board stretcher.

You're right, it is yours.. The advice has been given to see a gun smith or get new sights after the fact, I don't believe anyone said you shouldn't have tried it to start with. Either way, it's yours so enjoy.

16. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

It's really quite simple bro, I would never trust my life to JB Weld.

17. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Right I wouldn't either but I'm not trying to trust my life with it!

18. SSGN_Doc

Again I say don't use JB Weld on your gun. It will become brittle when thin. It will flake, powder then be useless.
    Try the staking method I indicated earlier. It is used frequently for slightly undersized sights.

Are you using a sight pusher to install the sight or just a hammer and drift punch? My guess is that if you are using a hammer and punch the JB Weld will begin to crack during installation.

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

cblowe,

Doc had a great idea. They do make some Brass Shims that we also use on scopes from time to time. They are very thin and you can probably get it from Brownells or other places. What I would try is to cut a small piece and then drive the damaged sight in over the top of it in the V Notch. Also Docs idea of maybe using a center punch and make some evenly spaced center punch marks on the bottom of the sight. Either method is worth a try! But JB NO! NO! Finally a replacement sight. But I realy think the shim method or center punch method will work!

20. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

I vote center punch on bottom of rear sight. If it gives adequate resistance when drifting in you should be good. For added insurance apply a drop of loctite to each side of the dovetail next to the rear sight once centered.