Heller Decision Extended to the States

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Jesse17, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

This may be old news, but I just noticed that on Monday 3/21/11 the Supreme Court ruled that the Heller Decision extends to states, not just federal cities like DC.:)

Good news, it should eventually lead to the fall of the Chicago hand gun bans, as well I hope, for the NY bans.:):)
    Link to Blog

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

there is always hope, but the Progressives will never implement the goals set forth in Heller without first being sued by the concerned citizenry.

3. bkt

bkt New Member

The funny thing about a court ruling - even a SCOTUS ruling - is that it doesn't mean diddly until someone challenges a law or action and references that ruling. The ruling may have had some immediate benefits to Chicagoans, but it doesn't wipe the gun laws from New York State or anywhere else.

What it does provide is a foundation from which to sue states, counties and cities that have draconian laws and cite this ruling. But depending on how the ruling is worded, the other side may easily be able to avoid complying with it.

For example (and this isn't a quote): "Justices said the US Constitution protected the right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of self-defense." Does that mean anytime, anywhere? Or does it mean in the home? The opposition in New York may argue it means in the home, and they may say that long guns are adequate for home defense thus leaving the crazy NY handgun laws intact.

If the wording is along the lines of: "All Americans may own any type of firearm they want, as many firearms as they want, and may carry them anytime they want anywhere they want." then we're in better shape. But I don't think that's what the SCOTUS said.