Heat Treating Parts??

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Trez, May 29, 2011.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

The trigger was sightly worn on my Winchester 1895 and a new one would cost about $70 :eek: So I decided to try and fix the old one. I added some metal with a welder, roughly shaped the "new" metal with a bench grinder, hand filed the trigger to the final shape and polished out the file marks with some very fine steel wool. I think I did pretty good and saved some $$.

Now my question is should I heat treat this? The trigger does not receive any recoil, spring tension, or any other "forces", its just a link between your finger and the sear. The only pressure it gets is from your finger pressing the trigger.
    How would I go about doing this? I googled it but theres lots of different methods... :confused:

I figure Ill put a pic of my repair here too. It was flat where the point on top of the trigger is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

How hard was it to grind the trigger back to shape? That should indicate how well it will last.
    I would try it for a while as is (keeping a lube on parts) and see how it holds up. Some welding is stronger than the original material.

3. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

As Dan said, the weld could be harder than the original, I don't think you need to heat treat that. There are applications when heat treating can be a negative since it will be more brittle.

4. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

U could also aply "Kinsnet". Heat the part up to cherry red and dip in the " kisnet" let cool and you are done.
    This hard surfaces the out side but keeps the inside soft as the base metal.
    FK

5. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Could you give a link or something, I tried to google it but all it brings up is web stuff. (servers, networking stuff)

Ill leave it alone for now, but still would like to know what "kinsnet" is

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  6. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

U can buy kisnett from welding supply stores. I bought mint through" Brownells" I may not be spelling it right as i have dislexia(sp). But if you go on the Brownells web sight they will have it.
    I hope this helps F.K.

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

No prob...

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I don't think they make Kasenit anymore. It was a surface hardening compound. A redneck replacement is regular sugar.

9. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I bought some from Brownells 2 years ago, but who knows.

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I did a quick check at Brownells for Kasenit and they still list it but it is out of stock(I heard forever?).
    Doesn't matter in this case as I would just leave the trigger the way it is.

11. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I would leave it as is because I've seen too many instances where the person made the part/s too brittle by attempting to heat treat steel without a proper understanding of the process. I'm not saying that's you but just prior experience in the matter. If it was a "hard contact" or load bearing surface then heat treat it.

12. bb1

bb1 New Member

If it had been hard to begin with, the repair wouldn't have been needed.