HEART-WORMS & your DOG.....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by LONGHAIR, Mar 8, 2012.

1. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Warm winter and the bugs are going to be bad...Heart-Worms are spread by biting insects ticks,flies,and mosqitoes...Your dogs life needs help from Heart-Worms....They kill more dogs every year then anything else....One little chewable pill can save your ...BEST-FRIENDS...LIFE......Just-Saying.....

2. Drriley

Drriley New Member

There is a new 6 month shot vets are beginning to carry. There are reports of the pills not being
    effective, but .................

3. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I make sure my guys have them. Seems like something that can be easily dealt with to prevent the massive loss.

4. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

these darn ticks up here are horrible, we always had woodticks but I'm 31 yrs old and until about 3 years ago I never saw a deer tick in my area, you heard of them but they were few and far between, now there aren't hardly any wood ticks and all you get are the deer ticks, poor dogs have it bad, they are guaranteed to get lyme disease or anaplasmosis if they spend any time at all outside. My german wirehaired pointer had both diseases at the same time last March, I thought she was gonna die, took a week for the antibiotics to take effect, vet said dogs having both diseases is getting very common.

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

What do the shots cost...$$$$$...?????????.....

6. CGO

CGO New Member

When we first moved here the ticks and chiggers were real bad outside around the house but not anymore. We use drops on the animals and spread bug killer on the lawn. That first year I got a tick on me and I yelled so loud it was like a sonic boom. LOL I never had one on me or seen one until I moved here. I am still a city girly girl living in the country.

7. Drriley

Drriley New Member

My Vet charged $65 or so - but prices varry. Seems high until you consider it is good for 6 months.
    By far the best way to go for me.

8. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

By all means treat your dog for heart worm if you live in an area where they spread. We do not have Heart worms in the Northern Rocky Mtns. However we travel to shooting events in Texas and other states that have them. I give the old setter the pills.:) I did forget his anti snake bit shot. And 2 years ago a sidwinder got him on the nose. He made it OK except he now has a small heart problem.:(

9. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Get a tube of Safeguard Horse wormer from feed supply store. It cost 8 dollars and you can worm them all year on one syringe.

10. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

pretty sure regular wormer doesn't work for heartworm, thats for roundworm and such, heartworm is transmitted by mosquitos in my area and as far as I know the only way to prevent it is Heartgard or other such pills, unless they have developed a vaccine like someone mentioned above

11. orangello

orangello New Member

He keeds a lot.

12. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

oh, I know of people who actually do that

13. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Sorry, wrong wormer. I use that for regular wormings.

Get the oral suspension of 1% Ivomec from supply store and dilute it. Mix one cc of injectable 1% cattle Ivomec with 19 cc of propylene glycol. Both available at most Farm supply stores. give 1cc of dilution per 40lbs of dog.

But much easier get the tube of Ivercare or Zimectirin paste for horses. Still right at 8 bucks.

14. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Wow that is a pocket full of $20 dollar words.;) I wish I knew what all that means? My Vet provides a Heart Worm treatment 2 times per year. The main thing about heart worm treatments is . A dog must have a blood test first. If the dog is given the medicine the worms may release from the tissue in mass. This can be fatal to the dog. The Vet needs to know if the worms are present before treatment.:)

15. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Yea...I heard they needed a blood test first but didn't know why....Thanks for the info....If you didn't know that,that could kill them as well....THANKS.....

16. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

what is the treatment a vaccine? I should look into that cuz I always forget to give them that Heartgard pill once a month or whatever it is

17. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Heart Gard Pills work just fine. I have also used those for years in bird dogs we trucked all over the low country.:)

18. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Ya I'm sure they work if I remember to give em to them

19. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I just picked a big ugly tick-off my dog...I popped-him...NASTY....:eek:...

20. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit New Member

The active ingredient in Heartworm pills is ivermectin. Where the vets get you is paying for "their" brand name prescription of it. Any farm supply store has a tube of it for livestock. You just need to look online for the weight of your dog and the amount to give them. And you do it monthly. When I was doing wildlife rehab we used it to treat squirrels with mange too. It's an antibiotic that's safe for animals. This tube is a soft paste and can be mixed in food. Vets just don't tell you about it because they don't make any money that way. Heartworm pills IMO are a total rip off.

An example of how a vet rips you off is my Aussie twisted his leg jumping for a tennis ball. His joint swelled up. I took him to the vet and he gave me a week's worth of pain pills and anti-inflamatories for $35. Wasn't any change after a week and I have to get another week's worth. I got online and found that 81mg baby aspirin twice a day works even better. Another example is my black lab would get ear infections all the time. Took him to the vet and got a $50 bottle of ear drops the size of a Visine bottle. Went through 3 bottles and he still had the ear infection. They upped the strength and the next bottle cost $65. I got online and found a recipe that had alcohol, boric acid powder and some kind of purple stuff that was for infections and mixed it up. Cost me $6 and the quantity will last me years. After one daily treatment of putting it in his ears and swabbing it out he started getting relief. Within a week it was gone. If I clean his ears about once a week or so with that stuff, I don't see anymore ear infections. And he got them all the time before.