Hearing trouble after shooting...

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by mrsa1, Nov 20, 2011.

1. mrsa1

mrsa1 New Member

So last sunday, I went shooting and yes, i forgot to bring hearing protection and i stupidly decided to shoot anyways. I fired maybe 30 something shots of 762x54, and after that my hearing gradually came back in the next hour or so.
    anyway, after it came back, i noticed that any time i talked, somebody else talked at a normal level, there was a good bit of distortion, parts of words made a buzzy raspy sound, almost like a blown speaker and its only in my right ear.

now i still have it, but it has calmed down. the first two days following, it was bad, i could hardly stand listening to other people, talking was to the point where i couldnt stand to do it unless it was a few short sentences, and it seems to be slowly getting better. like every 2 days theres a noticeable difference, day to day its hard to notice much difference.
    anyway, now its saturday the next week and its still going on, but i can usually talk at a normal level without hearing it much, i get little bits of it when i talk, and when others talk it doesnt happen unless they're louder than normal, and even then its not as severe. i also have a feeling of fullness in the ear, i wouldnt call it pain, but its not comfortable.

i went to an EMT 3 days after, he basically said i could have damaged the hair cells in my inner ear, and you never know if it will come back, he put me on 40mg prednisone per day for 5 days and said to check back next week sometime.

now, i also talked to two marines on thursday, the one i mostly talked to said he was in the marines for 2 years and hardly ever wore ear protection. even said he lost his hearing completely for 2 days. i described what im experiencing to him and he said hes had the same thing a few times. same with the other guy. according to him its your hair cells in your inner ear laying down flat and they cant pick up sound correctly, and it takes time for them to come back to their normal position, usually around a week. which honestly is the only answer ive heard that makes sense. everything ive read about online about noise induced hearing loss talks about a noticeable decrease in hearing ability overall, or over a certain range, and as far as i can tell my ear hears just as well as my left and i have no trouble hearing any range of sounds. so it really does not sound like a symptom of hearing loss that ive heard of. (though im sure i suffered some)

ive read about swelling in the inner ear causing distorted sounds, so im wondering if its not the hair cells lying down, if it might be that. and i still feel the fullness, its definitely getting better, so hopefully the sound goes away with the fullness/swelling.

but anyway, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or advice? i sure learned not shoot without ear pro again, its just not worth it at all. if i had to live with what i was experiencing those first two days for the rest of my life i would have gone insane.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

No, I have not had that experience. Nor would I shooot my gun without hearing protection.

I have done it only twice. The first time I ever shot my first gun, I was so excited I forgot to put the 'ears' on. The second time, months later, same thing. But I had them with me and promptly put them on. The 'bang' was DEAFENING and I would not want to risk my hearing in any fashion.

I hope your hearing comes back. You took quite a risk, there.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2011

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

The only time I have ever had a hearing problem due to shooting happened the first time I shot my 30-06. I was using a very powerful (loud) round (hornady sst) and I was standing just under a metal barn when I shot the gun. Needless to say, it echoed. So I was mostly deaf in one ear for a while.

Your hearing will probably return to normal after a few more days.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2011
  4. mrsa1

mrsa1 New Member

how long were you deaf?

i know im recovering, just not too happy about how slowly its happening, really dont care as long as i recover at some point. swelling can take weeks to go away, so hopefully no more than a couple weeks.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Take it as a lesson learned.
    No protection (ear, or eye), no shooting.

Go to an American Legion meeting or VFW meeting and see how many of the older guys have hearing aids.

When I was young and dumb, I shot one round of skeet without plugs. Now I have lost a range of my hearing (the only good part is that the range is of the wife's voice).

6. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Ear-plugs....Glasses.....

7. willshoum

willshoum New Member

condoms and ear plugs are a must in any mans war... Would someone please answer the damn phone......Ringing in the ears at an old age is unforgiving. It's hard to describe, esp. when you want to get some sleep..... :eek:

8. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

At old age? [​IMG] I've had Tinnitus since I was a child.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Don't do that anymore. 4 years marine infantry, all of it carrying a SAW except for a short time at a school in virginia. Hearing loss sucks. I always used hear pro on the range, but in combat it's a different story.

10. freefall

freefall New Member

I once shot a weasel in my cabin. I used a .44 mag with bird shot so I wouldn't make a hole in the floor. No one else heard that shot because I heard it ALL. I heard it ringing for the next 4 days. Lesson learned, DO NOT shoot in the house without ear protection. Unless, of course, it's an emergency.

11. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Child hood....................

Seems I remember the the same thing as a youngster, It was after I screwed up and my father slapped me up side the head and it made my ears ring......:eek: :D

12. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I have lost some of my hearing due to shooting without hearing protection. When I was growing up the only time I was given hearing protection was at the local range. It's needless to say I've had hearing damage since I was a kid/teenager. Moral of the story wear hearing protection and eye protection!

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Its possible to permanently damage our hearing by doing what you did only once. Its kind of like unprotected sex that way.

I am completely deaf in one ear and I have BAD tinnitus (ringing in my good ear) 24/7 as well as a 25% hearing loss in my "good" ear. It affects my moods (not in a good way) and my temper (ditto) and I have to ask people to speak up every single day There are certain frequency ranges that I cannot hear (One is my wife's calm voice. It sounds to me like Charlie Brown's parents talking if I can't see her lips (yes, I have to lip-read to understand what she is saying). This is not good because I have to piss her off to be able to hear her sometimes. That is not a joke.) I have tried hearing aids but all they don't work for me. I've had it for all of my adult life, increasing in severity as I have aged. Presently I can forget to use hearing protection and I won't know until my kids tell me. The noise doesn't really sound any different with or without protection on. If you are lucky you will regain your hearing but there is probably some permanent damage. Going though life with messed up hearing sucks. People cannot see that you are disabled and they don't understand when you can't understand what they are saying.

Because of my experience I have drilled my boys to always carry a couple of pairs of those foam earplugs at all times and generally eye protection as well (I buy them both in quantity so we always have them around).

Just a few weeks ago my youngest son, 14 years old, walked down to the bottom of the property to get the tractor. He was gone for quite awhile when he came walking back up the hill and said "I don't have my earplugs." He went in the house and got some and walked back down to the tractor to fetch it up (this is a half mile walk!). No complaints or anything.

Don't ever forget to put on your hearing and eye protection. (Ok, unless its an emergency situation). Protect what you have.

14. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I had hearing loss from combat and blast injuries. I didn't realize how bad until I failed the Air Force MEP for the Air National Guard and had to get multiple waivers to serve my country again. Just another drawback of a combat arms MOS. You can't wear earplugs in combat but there's no excuse for not wearing protection at the range.

15. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Four legged or two legged? :D

16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Years on a construction site, early years shooting without protection, my most used word is "huh?"

A few weeks ago I was sighting in a Mosin, firing five rounds then walking to check the target. I got excited at my and my rifle's shooting, sat back at the bench took careful aim and bang!!
    I thought I had been hit in the head with a hammer. I forget to put on my hearing protection. One shot, and my ears rang like hell for a couple of hours.

One good thing about hearing loss is you always have plausible deniability when you want to ignore the wife.

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Smart kid. Taught well.

18. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I think I was deaf for just a couple of minutes. I had hearing problems in that ear for a couple of hours, but I had only fired one shot.

Hopefully, your hearing will return to normal really soon.

19. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

That's interesting... an EMT prescribing you prednisone?? I'm hoping you meant "ENT"...

...an EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) giving you prednisone would be "practicing medicine without a license."

I am suffering from tinnitus and I have high-frequency hearing loss... almost to the point of not being deployable. I've always been careful about using hearing protection, but the damage was done on my first tour in Iraq... we didn't pause to put in hearing protection before returning fire.

More than the IEDs and gunfire, the sustained noise from the generators right outside our tent did most of the damage.

I can't stress enough: PROTECT YOUR HEARING! When it's damaged, you can't repair it. When you lose it, it is gone.