Hearing Protection?

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by rccalzadilla, Sep 28, 2011.

1. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

What hearing protection are you using?
    Muffs or plugs?

2. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Indoors, both. BPI moldable earplugs and Howard Leight L1 earmuffs.

Outdoors, one or the other, sometimes both.

3. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

4. Vincine

Vincine New Member

What?

;)

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Dang it, you beat me to it.

Muffs 99% of the time. Once in a great while when .22 rifle plinking, without other centerfires nearby, plugs.

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I use muffs but I'm not completely happy with them. They are rated 32 NRR but I still think I'm hearing too much noise. I am going to look into custom made earplugs of some sort.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Me too!

I use plugs, but i don't shoot indoors or with large numbers of people.

8. ron12301

ron12301 New Member

According to the OSHA training course that we go through at work the foam type earplugs are better at blocking noise than earmuffs. I have worn both on the job and agree. To me the foam plugs are a whole lot more comfortable, especially if worn for a long period of time. The ones I like and use are moldex pura-fit 6800.

9. capnklump

capnklump New Member

I prefer "Sparkplug" Moldex 6604. Very comfortable & excellent noise reduction.

10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

When I ran a hearing protection program, OSHA didn’t have numbers for the use of both plugs AND muffs. Do they now?

I know NRR ratings aren’t additive. That is; a 30 NRR plug and a 30 NRR muff don’t yield a 60 NRR. I’m thinking they might give you 35 – 40 NRR, maybe.

Which doesn’t sound like much of a difference, except that every couple of decibels is actually double the amount of sound, so it would really be a LOT of hearing protection. Any of you know about plug plus muff ratings/effectiveness?

Related; Do any of you go to ranges with ‘baffles’ hanging down from the ceiling and off the walls?

11. natman

natman Member

At the range, where you never know what someone will shoot next to you (30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk, 7mm STW with muzzle break, etc) I use 32 db muffs AND foam plugs. Hunting I use Peltor 6s.

12. ron12301

ron12301 New Member

Wearing both plugs and muffs together was discussed at our last class and an answer was given...trouble is I can't remember what it was. At times I have CRS. I see our safety advocates from time to time and will ask.

13. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I worked construction so long with no hearing protection. (we didn't know we needed it) and shot pistols and rifles so much in my younger days, my most used word is, "huh?"

I now use muffs when ever the noise level is uncomfortable at work, and always when shooting. I can't stand to put the plugs in my ears or I would use both. I would strongly recommend using both.

The young folks at work sneer at me when using hearing or dust protection, and I just have to shake my head and smile. I know exactly where they are headed, they don't.

14. cvriv

cvriv New Member

MSA Supreme Pro-X. Love em.

15. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

I use MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X too, they work great. I´ve got Peltor SortTacs too but I like the Sordins more, much clearer and better sound quality.

16. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

Peltor 7S electronic ear muffs when I need to hear range commands, otherwise, standard foam ear plugs. Had the Peltors about a year now and so far so good.

17. dhyayi

dhyayi New Member

I use it for IPSC. Excellent, you can talk without being disturbed by people shooting near you. They are also very light.
    Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

18. rebellady0907

rebellady0907 New Member

Muffs

I use both. But I like using muffs better than plugs.:D

19. unclebear

unclebear New Member

depends, when I'm out hunting I don't use any unless I'm using a 300 win mag or the 7mm mag, and when I'm out at the range I use muff unless I can't find mine then I use plugs.