Hearing protection/damage, don't shoot much.

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Krieger91, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Krieger91

Krieger91 New Member

Hello everyone, I am a World War II reenactor, and I only shoot blanks off a few times every year. I don't know too much about hearing damage but I have been told this wouldn't even be a problem. For a few days out of the year I have some people around me shoot off k98s, mp40s, garands, and some thompsons. Maybe even and mg42 or larger. I shoot a G43 and nobody else really uses ear protection but am wondering if it's a bad idea.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

If you are married or engaged or even divorced, skip the hearing protection; it gives you a good way/excuse to ignore the woman.

Seriously though, it is my understanding (not a Dr.) that incremental permanent damage can occur from even just a few rounds fired. I do not know if blanks might be different, but i doubt it.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Talk about taking the reenactment to a serious level. Old shooters have a habit of yelling when they get together, and it is not because they have ear plugs, but because they didn't.
    Is the TV getting quieter? It is not because the electronics are getting old.

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I think what they're saying is why take the chance? Once you lose your hearing, no matter how minimal your loss, you can never get it back.

5. Krieger91

Krieger91 New Member

Are there some flesh colored ear plugs I can use? Ones that will stay in when I run around? I can't have anything that looks.. well like it didn't exist then, within reason.

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Yes, I've found flesh-colored earplugs in drug stores. They are primarily for sleeping, but they would be fine for your needs.

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I suffer from serious permanent hearing damage. I TOTALLY recommend you use hearing protection. You don't want to end up like me and say "huh" all the time.

8. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

I think ear protection is very very important!!! I do not want to lose my hearing and it also shows my son that it is important also!!

9. SecPro

SecPro New Member

I think this answer is dead on!!:D

Seriously though you should put some plugs in just to be safe. I have some hearing loss and permanent ringing in my ear from not plugging up and I tell ya it's better not to learn the hard way.

10. Daniel_H

Daniel_H New Member

I've heard that the decibel level can be loud enough to cause permanent damage, yes. Even after only a very short time.

11. spoolerdog

spoolerdog New Member

Like yourself going a bit deaf and have the constant ringing, even after wearing ear defenders for a long time - skipped a few times and this is the result. Recently completed a coaching course and the tutor virtually dismissed the ear plugs out of hand. As he described it, and he is right, the outside of the ear is designed to catch sound and channel it into the inner ear etc. With plugs in the outer ear is still exposed and therefore still focussing sounds to the inner ear, although slightly reduced. However ear defenders cover the entire ear and do not allow for this "channelling" of the sound into the inner ear. Needless to say anyone I coach now has to wear ear defenders and not ear plugs.