Health Warning!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by AusLach, Aug 16, 2010.

1. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Ok, I'm doing a double degree of Exercise Science and Sport Management at Uni and this morning I had one of my classes at the morgue. I've got one thing to say...

PLEASE DO NOT SMOKE!

It's one thing to read about the dangers of smoking or hear about it in the media or from your doctor but to actually pick up a human lung and watch the tar drip out of it is entirely another. I normally have a pretty strong stomach, but this was absolutely disgusting. The lung was almost black, shrivelled to half of it's normal size and we were told that respiratory function had been cut by 75% due to smoking.

The lab session was otherwise very interesting however, and we were able to view all of the bodily systems, as well as the preserving process. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to handle watching my own hand cutting into another human's flesh, but once I got past the smell of the formaldehyde, I just became engrossed in the work and it isn't so bad.

If you do smoke and want to give up, ask your doctor for a picture of the lung after it has filtered thousands of chemicals from each cigarette for even a couple of years. You will quit on the spot!

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'd rather fight than switch.

What Cig ad was that from?:D My Dad used to smoke em

3. zenstic

zenstic New Member

my father was the same way DJ. he tried once then went back a few months later, another couple of months later he quit for good. he was a pack a day man and it really took its toll, he is still messed up. i remember when he smoked he would have to take breaks going up stairs because he was so winded after a few flights. x-rays and cat scans later revealed that his lungs were around 50% capacity due to major clogging from mild emphezema and tar buildup.

anyhow, to each his own but dont complain when the zombies eat you. remember rule #1: Cardio!

4. amoroque

amoroque New Member

thanks for the reminder Auslach!

I've been a pack a day smoker for the better part of 15 years.

I have quit for 2 or 3 months at a time, but, it is a tough habit to kick.

5. jbd

jbd New Member

I'm trying now, it is a very hard but I will do it one way or another.

6. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

In a forensic science class I got to hold a healthy lung and found that disgusting, I can't imagine holding a disease riddled organ.

Almost three years ago I took Chantex for a month to quit smoking and have been smoke free since. In my 40 plus years of smoking I tried every gimmick on the market to quit smoking and Chantex is definitely worth the money.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  7. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

My mom smoked at least 3 packs a day from age 23 to 79. She was on a respiratory near the end and the medicated mist she was given, she was puffing on it. ICU doctor advised her lungs were black as a tire and then some. Medicated mist was to help her feel better.

She was not smoking the cheap stuffs either.

Today, they need to show that to kids today what a lungs looks like when loaded with this crap. Screw the ACLU if it offends someone!

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's not fast enough!

Attached Files:

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Not a smoker!

Attached Files:

10. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

i dont smoke and never will, i want to keep my lungs normal :)

and cane, that's a nice bow ;)

11. AusLach

AusLach New Member

For those who are attempting to give up, new research has come out saying that each time you attempt to quit, even if you go back to the cigarettes, you will be more likely to be a non-smoker by the time you die. I'm not sure how valid this research is but, because obviously we're all non-smokers when we die :p:D

Seriously though, keep with it and good luck, you're doing yourself a huge favour.

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

My dad is 66 and has been smoking since he was 14 yrs old!!

:eek:

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

What bow??

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Oh, that bow.

Attached Files:

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Side boob gotta love it.

16. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

[​IMG]

THAT is F-ing smokin' ! If I could do that 20-40 times a day, I don't care how I die!

17. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Tareyton cigarettes.
    [​IMG]

I remember those ads on TV, along with many of the "jingles" that went with them.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FfjEE2mSvM]YouTube - Old Commercial for Winston[/ame]

18. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Good headsup post, Aus.

I was a smoker for a long time and quit a few years ago, but only when I got a case of bacterially-infected flu so bad it was almost pleurisy lol...and had to get given the strongest antibiotic known to man. After 1 month of not smoking, man it was friggin disgusting when I lit up for that last time!

Sure I wouldn't have stopped without getting that sick; hope it was in time to prevent something horrendous happening down the track. But hey stopping is better than not!

Good luck to everyone attempting to break the habit.

19. doctherock

doctherock New Member

My mom and gradparents smoked enough for me as a child. Had to sit in the middle but noone would put a window down. $ chain smokers in a car with a little boy.

20. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Brings back memories Doc! Stuck in the back seat, Mom puffin away, Grandma on the other side with a smoke as well, my Great Aunt driving and smoking, the A/C running the outside temperature in the low 90's and every woman in the car marinated in Chantilly!!

Just got a little puke in my mouth......:p