Firearms Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an ar barrel but when i got it in i found it did not come with a bolt. I ordered a bolt but i was wandering if since they were not made together and are not the same brand if the headspacing would be an issue. *

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
shouldnt be an issue so long as its milspec. ar15 spacing is mostly only an issue when installing the barrel extension.

·
Premium Member
14,832 Posts
Should not be a problem. Many people build ARs out of parts.

·
Registered
641 Posts
most ar parts are milspec, thus will interchange without a problem. to be on the safe side, though, you can get a "go-no go" headspace gauge to check it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes this ar was a parts gun i just didnt know if the barrel and bolt which i think are most of the time sold in pairs were interchangeable. But thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
epleyjoseph said:
Is there a way to check head space without paying for gages?
Yes, pay a gunsmith to do it :)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue until you go through tens of thousands of rounds. Then it might be a good idea to invest in guages.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
If your just checking for unsafe chamber dimensions what you need is a field gage. If the bolt closes on a field gage the gun is not safe to shoot. A field gage is the exact maximum safe saami dimension for a given caliber.

To do any gage tests on a ar15 the ejector needs to be removed.

Go gage is the shortest safe saami spec that allows ammunition made to saami maximum spec. field is the longest safe chamber dimension. Go and Nogo gages are typically used when cutting a chamber to spec or setting head space on adjustable rifles like the savage series.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts