Headlights won't work 1995 Chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by tri70, Apr 2, 2013.

1. tri70

tri70 New Member

My head lights won't work this morning. They worked last night, I checked fuses, and replaced switch.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Day time running head lights only or both day/night?

When is the last time you checked your alternator? Ever notice any pulsing of headlights at night?

When you functioned your turn indicator did it sound abnormally fast at any time? Check all of your lights license plate to cargo etc.

Check for burnt out bulbs and replace.
    Check the lights wiring harness for connection/debri etc.
    Check all running lights for burnt or dimming and replace.

Thats the best I got for over the net brother...

3. tri70

tri70 New Member

I am just running at night, I will have to check the harness and see for debri. Turn signals are working fine, I have no high or low beam. I noticed the lights flicker once last night and the night before but stayed on.

The guy at the auto parts shop said it may be the dimmer switch but they are an expensive assembly and if you hook up an electrical componets, you can't return unless it's defective.

4. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Have your alternator checked 1st before you buy anything

5. tri70

tri70 New Member

6. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Do the parkinglights come on? Could be the headlight on/off switch itself or the dimmer switch

7. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Chevy truck and suv are known to lose ground. Run a jumper wire from the ground terminal on the light directly to battery ground and see if that works. Had to do that on last two Chevys I owned

8. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

The alternator only charges the battery, the battery / charge light would come on and the truck would shut off if the alternator was defective.

9. tri70

tri70 New Member

Parking lights work, I will try the ground.

10. tri70

tri70 New Member

I tried the direct ground to a close bolt for additional grounding, still no go. It must be a harness connection.

11. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

The bolt may not be a good ground Hence why I said to the neg terminal on battery. If you have a test light or multi meter hook one end to battery negative and then the other in the terminals one at a time. Start on the low beam and the try the high

12. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Also there is a relay that may have craped out. Not certain where it is on the 95 though

13. tri70

tri70 New Member

It was a frame bolt connected direct to the negative post. All other lights work so it sounds like a connection or a relay. Hopefully it will quit raining soon and give me a chance to crawl under and follow the wiring. Are you meaning the terminals of the lights?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  14. tri70

tri70 New Member

I read the post again and will see about the light terminals to the negative battery post. Thanks CT.

15. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Electrical can be tricky. I deal with many electrical issues at work every day on the tow trucks I build and service. It's hard to help effectively via the web but I will help all I can. Feel free to send a private message if you still have issues.

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Check the fuse link on the starter, GM headlights are Fuse-linked on the starter.............

17. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

18. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Thats exactly what my headlights did when my dimmer switch went out. But I drive a '73 Scout and just took it out of another old truck....

Any junkyards around you? Someone parting one out on Creigslist? Maybe you could get a used one for cheap.

19. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member