Head-shake of the day!!!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by funnyrunner, Nov 25, 2009.

1. funnyrunner

funnyrunner New Member

One of the ER physicians I work with, who has to have only the best, bought a Benelli M4 Super90 Police shotgun through one of the cops he knows. He paid $1500 for it.

When he got it he thought they had forgotten to include the magazine with the gun until someone told him that this particular shotgun does not have a magazine.

He then wanted to know where and how one loads it and where do the empty shells eject from, the bottom?

Bless his heart, he is trying, but what would you call someone who'd pay $1500 for a shotgun that he doesn't know how to load much less operate?

One of the other physicians recently got a 40 cal Glock, not sure of which model, but he was trying to describe something to me and called the barrel "the smoke-stack".

Ya know and I hate to say it, but some people probably don't need to own guns!!!

2. Highpower

Highpower New Member

My dad would have referred to him as an "educated idiot". :rolleyes:

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Sounds like them docs may soon wind up being patients in their own ER. :rolleyes:

You might want to drop a hint or two about a Introduction to Firearms handling class.

Jack

4. DrJason

DrJason New Member

As a doctor myself I would say this is not the norm for the other doc's I know. There is actually a dental forum that I belong to that had a thread on dentist's that carry and there were well over 100 responses!

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

These same people spend $80,000 on a car they really know little about. Does anyone even read owners manuals anymore? Sounds like a market for teaching basic skills to rich folks. One of these days I am going to figure out how to teach common sense. THEN, I'll be one of them "rich folks"

6. Walley

Walley New Member

Putting guns in the hands of people like the two ER docs is about as dangerous as putting a plumber in an operating room with a scalpel in his hands. Relying on a gun for protection and not knowing how to use is a damn good way to get ones self killed. When push comes to shove I doubt that either doc would have what it takes to actually kill another human being. Statistics show that even during the thick of combat only one out of seven are actually aiming at an opponent. We have several guns in the house but our main line of home defense is a 107 lb Doberman loving called The Land Shark.

7. DrJason

DrJason New Member

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  8. Walley

Walley New Member

I happen to be a retired person with a PhD in Abnormal Psychology who worked with both local and federal law enforcement for over 25 years. My point was that even though the ER docs were well-educated and successful persons their comments showed that they did not posses the common sense or training to own or handle firearms. Among my colleagues I know at least seven or eight well-educated, brilliant, very successful people who it would scare the hell out of me to put a gun in their hands.

9. DrJason

DrJason New Member

Sorry I reread it and noticed you said 2 ER docs.....my bad

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  10. Walley

Walley New Member

Sorry you misunderstood the point I was making. I had no intention to put down doctors as a class but only the gross stupidity they exhibited as far as the use and ownership of lethal weapons goes.

11. DrJason

DrJason New Member

Thanks. I totally agree, you need proper education if you are going to own firearms and I think most doc's are responsible enough to understand that. I think this example by the OP is not the norm, but people think it's "funny" because of the irony that a very well educated person would be dumb enough to take up firearms without basic knowledge.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

Well, on the flipside, at least if it is an ER Doc who accidentally shoots someone, the Doc will have a better chance of keeping the person alive until they get to an ER.

13. Hey-you-guys

Hey-you-guys New Member

I'm a plumber's apprentice so I can relate to that. Some of these plumbers I was working with were already dangerous enough just being plumbers. So what I'm trying to say is good analogy, haha.

14. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

And point them to FTF for answers to those and other exciting questions.

Pimping (for FTF) is my business, and business is good.

15. WDB

WDB New Member

You would think ER Doc's would have seen a few gun shot wounds and understand how deadly a firearm can be. With that learn about a firearm before purchasing one.

16. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

the ignorance is not confined to the guys who can afford the big ticket items, it only seems more pronounced because we tend to reason "if he owns that, he must surely know what he is doing". Human nature I guess.

17. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I remember in basic training for the Air Force in younger days (when was that); anyway, the women at the end of the firing line was having trouble and got up with M-16 and a split second pointed down the firing line the weapons quickly re-directed the M-16 down range. Lucky for ervyone else, she was the last firing at that time; everyone else was back away from the rifles. :eek:

18. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

In every line of work there are people that should not be involved with things they do not understand, IE cops that hate guns, people with lots of $'s but don't want to take time to understand guns. Believe it or not there are people on FTF that do not have a clue what they are doing with a gun. I suspect it is the people that do know what hey are doing to give them help (if they will take it) and show them the way. Take the DR's to a range and show them how to use their guns (if they will let you). Good bonding time for you and it will be fun to shot their guns. Hell I would love to shot a $1500+ gun. I say don't look down on them teach them.

19. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

You know what BG? That is the best approach to it. Need to be reminded from time to time that th epositive approach is the best one...:)

20. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Never confuse having an education (especially advanced degrees) with having any common sense.