Head / Neck shots

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by scramble, Mar 22, 2011.

1. scramble

scramble New Member

I just hate drilling my '06 into a fine deers shoulder. Lots of wasted meat. If I bring home another rack I'll be sleeping ouside forever. All last season I took head shots with 100% success. Does anyone else use this tactic. Of course if I don't have a good shot I don't take it.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i shoot heart/lungs thru the rib cage. but then i use a 458 winmag or more recently 458 socom. drops em where they stand. no meat loss less your really into deer ribs. im prolly switching back to the winmag for whitetail. i just like the winchester better. draws more HOLYSHTS than anything else, and its a beautiful rifle. i dont like tracking deer thru snake infested cactus patches in south texas.

buddy of mine tried a few head shots this past season but he is a terrible shot and never landed a head shot.

3. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

im right there with ya man! for deer head shots on all the does and neck shots for the bucks. elk ill do the same but if i cant get a head/neck or if they are out 400 + yards ill take a heart/lung.

4. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

When I hunted with my grandfather he always made 1 shot in the neck kills on deer using rem 30-06 150gr. bronze points. They dropped dead on the spot.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I agree w/ Jon. I have changed to a 9.3x57 for the woods up here. There is something about the fat slow bullet that is bad medicine on whitetail. Not as fat as Jons, but a 285gr Cast, or 286gr JSP Partition really dumps them. Even a 270gr speer works the same. .366 is fairly big. I like 'em big fat and slow these days. 150 yards w/ express sights is fine by me. The last head shot I took was with a 150gr .308. I was slightly above on a ridge. I hit about 1.5" above the base of the antler. The Deer flopped around for a few seconds. The shot hit the antler and broke the skull, driving part of it into the brain. Not real pretty. It was nothing I'd want to repeat.

6. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Heart/lung shots with the occasional shoulder shot. I don't fool with shoulder meat anyway.

7. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Wait, with a hastily made field rest and a sporter-weight rifle you'll try for a head shot at 390 yards?!? :eek:

You're a much better shot than me if you can pull that off with regularity...

This is the 'hunting' section, we're meant to be promoting good hunting practices and ethics in here :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  8. Hawg

Hawg New Member

That's the kind of shots that result in deer suffering for days in agony and unable to eat, dying of starvation.

9. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Exactly right, that's not hunting...

10. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

i made a third hole between a does eyes last year at just under 350 yards with a 300 RUM. so i would most definitely attempt a 399 yard shot at a does head. same rifle, my buck 425ish yards turns started running up the mountain aimed at the back of his head hit at the base of his neck.

And im not promoting to people that they "should" take head/neck shots im just saying there are other people out there that do. by the way "ethics", what is your definition? because ethics to me when it comes to shooting is, when it comes time to taking the shot feel 100% comfortable with the shot and take your time with it. everyone misses once in a while i just happen to do it less often and at longer ranges then most. last season 4 shots, 4 kills, 3 of the 4 head/neck shots, all "over" 300 yards.

and not a hastily made field rest. a bi-pod and a Remington CDL 300 ultra mag with a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 with an elevation turret. i dont know where you guys hunt but it must be 30-30s and 4 power scopes.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  11. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

if you dont fool with shoulder meat what do you eat? sounds like a "waste" of a half a deer to me? just my opinion though..

12. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Hunting ethics involves showing game the respect it deserves.

Shooting deer at over 400 yards with a bipod, elevation turret and a 20 power scope is exactly that: shooting. You think you're being respectful??

There is a HUGE difference between shooting and hunting.

13. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

Ohh.. your one of those guys that think if you dont spot and stock its not hunting. News flash guy just because i hunt animals at longer distances doesnt mean im unethical.

im not even going to go through this with you. your not worth my time being you know nothing about me, how often i shoot these distances for practice, all you have shown me is that you are a guy that only shoots once a year and thats to make sure your gun is still on then you go off and pop a deer at 50 yards.

14. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Back straps and hind quarters. I give the rest away.

15. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

Well, you see, in my neck of the woods, I sit there and shoot at oh... say 0 yards. Because the stealthy little bastards aren't there!

In all honesty, I wouldn't shoot outside 100 yards (Thompson Center Omega w/ Red Dot scope). Also, if I was shooting for meat, then I'd take any shot that came along, far and short. I don't trust myself that far out, but thats just the limitations of myself and my equipment.

Headshots? I'd be lucky to get A shot. I say head shots at half your normal effective range just to be on the safe side, so for me, 50-75 yards with the Omega and maybe 25, a BIG maybe at 25 with the slug gun.

16. Hawg

Hawg New Member

At least he can get within 50 yds. of a deer.:D

17. AusLach

AusLach New Member

I never said you weren't being ethical in the 'quick kill' sense, just that you weren't hunting. Like I said in my original post, this is after all the 'hunting' forum :rolleyes:

But thanks anyway for the stimulating and thought-provoking conversation before reverting to name calling
    [​IMG]

P.S. I think it's known as spot and 'stalk'...

18. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Hold on a minute. I just read this thread and I am amazed at some of the responses. I hunt and to me hunting is making sure you take the best "one shot-one kill" shot. That means the animal dies within minutes, not days.

That being said, I also have this to say. Take it for what it is.

1. There are hunters that can take long shots and make an ethical kill. I don't hate on them because they can. Those who cannot make the shot should never take the shot.

2. I take the best shot I can. If the situation calls for a heart/lung, then that's the shot I will take. If I can get the neck in position for a clean shot, that is my preferred. Dead before they hit the ground.

3. Wasting the meat is not hunting. For me I have found that shattering a shoulder does more to harm the kill, so I will try to miss the shoulder bone. A hunter uses all the meat that can be used. Shoulders are good for jerky, grind and even slow cooked stew.

4. As I hunt in an area where a shot over 100 yards is not common at all, I have made most of my kills at under 100 yards, probably closer to 50. No spot and stalk around here, but I don't hate on those hunters either.

5. Attacking a Supporting Member is never a wise choice.

6. We all have different opportunities in our hunting ventures. We as hunters should never take a shot that we as the hunter is not comfortable with taking and achieve the one shot kill. As we all know that is not always what happens, we do have to be able to adapt and be ready to take follow up shots that put the animal down as fast as possible.

7. Paying an outfitter to guide them on fenced in land or to shoot game that make it to the feeder like clockwork is not hunting. If it takes zero effort other than pulling the trigger, then you have not hunted.

19. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

true that!! lol ill save all of the close ones for you. :D

20. Hawg

Hawg New Member

It's not necessary but thanks for the thought. I grew up hunting across soy bean fields where if you couldn't make at least a 300 yard shot you'd best stay at home. I rarely take anything but a heart/lung shot. FWIW I like deer meat cut into steaks and fried. I do not eat ground venison, stew, jerky or deer sausage. That's why I don't use it but I do give my shoulders and ribs to people that will.