HD firearm safety question

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by hawkguy, Jun 24, 2013.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

as a responsible gun owner, i try to think through all the "worst case" scenarios in my mind when it comes to keeping a HD firearm loaded and ready for use in the home. a few obvious concerns:

1) children or firearm uneducated in the home
    2) loaded gun in home when you are NOT AT HOME. (example: the possibility that an intruder might find your HD gun and use it against you)
    3) theft of HD gun (with possiblity of it being used for a violent crime)
    4) quick access to HD gun in time of need

how do some of you address the issues i have listed? are there any others i might have missed in relation to firearm safety and preparedness?

i think i have a pretty good system (though none is perfect). but i would love to hear some of your ideas on this.

2. hawkguy

my solution

i use a DBL shotty for HD (please don't biden me to death ;)). but i think my system for my HD firearm could work with many other guns as well. i honestly keep the DBL shotty for ease of understanding and use when it comes to my better half.

i do fear the idea of keeping it loaded when i leave the house. to me it would be the saddest form of irony to have someone use my own gun on me or my family. :eek: i also fear litigation that might be brought against me if some dumb kids got in my house and took a loaded weapon out.

for me its easy. i keep a small lockbox hidden. it is bolted into a shelf, so it can't be quickly taken. any time i leave my house, i remove the shells and lock them up. it takes all of 10 seconds as part of leaving the home. it could just as easily be removing a mag from a gun as well and locking it up. when i return home, i unlock and return shells. when i'm in the house i'm aware of where it is & where any children might be. if they are visiting children, i will lock the shells away again. (my wee ones know better than to touch guns). my other firearms and ammo (not HD) are of course locked up.

its simple, but i think it is a sensible and honest effort to keep my firearm safe from accidents or mishaps. certainly not perfect, or "fool proof", but i feel i have made an honest effort to be safe and keep my HD firearm accessible and effective at the same time.

what do y'all think...could improvements be made?

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Loaded firearms on my person or under lock. When the grandkids are old enough to be REALLY responsible, they get the combination- along with the understanding that THAT is a grown up thing- and misuse of it EVEN ONCE results in combo changing, and their losing the privilege forever.

Time is usually into their teens, when I have several years of being able to judge their maturity with firearms and other matters as well. Have never had to change a combo on account of the youngsters. And they understood it was to protect younger kids that were not yet responsible persons.

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

1) There are lock boxes you can get, or you can keep your bedroom door locked at night. My HD gun will double as my CCW gun, so it will always be on my person.

2) See above.

3) See above, again.

4) You guessed it, see above. :p

5. hawkguy

lol! you've got it figured out! ;)

6. hawkguy

sounds very reasonable and responsible.

one question....do you keep your entire gun locked up? if so, how quickly can you access it? i considered locking up the whole gun, but pulling a firearm in out of a safe seemed....troublesome. and i know some keep them locked up at all times & i just question the ability to access the gun quickly and effectively in that scenario.

thus, the reason i just remove the ammo and replace it each time. it seems like the least labor intensive....and i don't want to fumble with locks or combos when i have a need to quickly access my gun.

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Yes... the entire gun locked up.

Personally, I have a heavy duty gun vault mounted to my bed frame. It's got a "pharmacy lock" 5 button mechanical/turn dial which allows the door to drop open exposing a Sig 226 .40.

There are hundreds of good pistol vaults on the market. For long guns, I'd check out "in wall" gun vaults. They fit between wall studs and secure to the studs, the front flange covers any drywall damage during installation, and they can be found with either mechanical locks like what I described above, electronic keypads, or fingerprint ID depending on what you want to spend.

"on me... or under lock and key" has been said before and I just said it again...

With a 2 and 4 year old in my house, anything less would be imprudent.

Tack

8. hawkguy

all well said. you seems to have a very safe & effective system and i applaud that.

i don't use a handgun for HD at the present time, so carry on me isn't an option. thus, i have reservations about keeping the firearm locked up, for fear i couldn't get to it quickly enough.

it is out of reach, and little ones aren't allowed in the room the gun is kept. if i have concerns about its safety, i lock up the ammo (or i suppose i could just carry it on me).

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

My system evolves as time goes on. Here's what I mean. Right now, the only guns I keep "loaded" are our two M&Ps in a bedside handgun safe. They have loaded magazines inserted, but no round in chamber. My daughter is only a year and a half right now, so I'm not very worried about it. The key is kept well out of her reach, but the safe does have combination buttons. If she happens to figure out the combination, and we're for some unGodly reason not with her (which never happens), she is not physically strong enough yet to operate the slide. My rifles, are hanging on the wall in my living room, well out of her reach. The little ammo I do have for them is kept in our bedroom, in the closet, on the top shelf. By the way, all our handguns are in the handgun safe. Only the M&Ps have ammo within reach of them, and they are the only ones that are 9mm, so it's not like she could somehow use the ammo from the magazines of the M&Ps in a different gun.

When my daughter (and future son, for that matter) are old enough to operate the slide, I will have long since taught them proper firearm safety. I whole-heartedly believe exposure to, and teaching of, firearms at a young age, in a controlled environment, will lessen their curiosity later on, and prevent accidents. If that isn't enough, then I might revise my bedside gun safe storage when they can operate the slides.

In the future, we will be getting a full sized gun safe and keep everything in there with the exception of our bedside guns, and the exception of the following: when we own our house, I will install wall safes sporadically throughout the house, with an extra gun and magazines inside, all loaded. They will not be able to be opened by anyone except myself or my wife, until the kids are in their teens and have proven to us that we have raised them right.

Theft of a gun? Well that will be covered when we can afford a full on gun safe. Of course they can still get into the, if they have enough time (safe will be bolted to the floor so I doubt it will go anywhere). Until then, all our doors are always locked and we have four dogs. None of that might be enough, but we don't have many alternatives until we can afford a full safe. Also, we very rarely don't have one of the two of us at home. If I'm at work, she's there. If she's at school, I'm there. She is competent with firearms so she could easily get to the bedside gun safe if something started to happen. The dogs would alert her and she would hopefully have enough time to get the gun. But that's why we're gonna have wall safes later on, when we're not renting anymore.

I think I covered everything.

Oh, and since I don't yet have a CCW permit in Kalifornia, I don't CC here. But when I did in NC, I always had a round chambered. I would do the same here, and the round would be unloaded when the gun goes back in the safe.

10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

For a long gun I'd suggest you check this out.

http://www.dcgstores.com/iwc-55-ful...51_a_7c28521&gclid=CKvRnMu9_bcCFSFyQgodEyUAvA

Cheap, easy to install, will keep little hands away, and would also take tools and effort before a thief could walk off with your shotty... and do God knows what, with it. ;)

Good Luck

11. orangello

orangello New Member

I guess I am a bit off the mark from the mean on this. My primary HD is a Mossberg 500 with a 18.5" barrel; it stays beside my bed almost exclusively. It stays loaded, chamber empty, and safety off with a tube full of shells and a side-saddle rack with a few more. I feel that this is acceptable since I do not have children over or generally allow anyone unfamiliar with firearms into my home and certainly not past the kitchen or TV room. My handguns are stored with loaded magazines inserted (empty chamber) and with additional loaded magazines within 10 inches, all in the safe in my bedroom. When I am in my car, a pistol will be on the seat beside me; when I must leave the car, the pistol is locked in a nanovault cabled to the seat support. The safe is locked anytime I am not home. I have locked up the shotgun for a day or two in the safe when I have gone out-of-town and when I had repairmen in the house. I don't take any longguns out for rides unless I am going plinking.

As to the risk of a burglar stealing the shotgun, I am not overly worried about it. The shotgun was not expensive and would not be difficult to replace. I would not be bothered by someone being shot by my shotgun any more than I would be bothered by someone being shot by any other shotgun. Personally, I don't feel most burglars would consider the bulky shotgun an acceptable burglary tool in any but the most violent of areas. Were I to decide to burgle and felt the need for a firearm, I would go with a more concealable pistol or revolver. Now, a determined murderer or home invader might appreciate the shotgun's appearance and abilities, but I doubt a home invasion crew would be put out of business for the lack of my one old shotgun, the one behind steel-framed, steel doors, in that shadowed corner by my alarm clock.

12. hawkguy

this is just a thought.

i remember seeing an article on a break in. two men came home to find two other men had broken into their home, and found their loaded shotgun in the process. the men (intruders) tried to use the gun on the homeowners when they tried to grab it. the only thing that saved these homeowners from getting killed by their own gun was the fact they kept the chamber empty. bad guy pulled the trigger on an empty chamber.

i remember it ended well for the homeowners. in a violent fight, they managed to get the shotgun back and kill both intruders.

i don't want an unarmed intruder finding my loaded gun easily and using it one me. it can certainly happen. i'm not saying anything 100% prevents this, but i sure don't think you want to make it easy.

on the flip side, i also think if you can't get a HD gun in a second or two...it becomes ineffective. thus, the reason i think keeping the gun perpetually locked up is not real effective.

13. hawkguy

i think how you do things sounds good. not having small children changes the dynamic quite a lot.

i'm not OVERLY worried about my guns being stolen either (its just a "thing" really). but i don't want them used on me when i enter the house, and i'd sure prefer if a criminal did not use guns that belong to me in any sort of crime. but really in many ways, that is out of my control.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  14. hawkguy

your entire post brings up a good point imo.

this is really about considering each person's individual needs. if a gun owner truly thinks about what is best, most effective, and most safe in their situation, most of the time that is all that is needed. everyone has different issues and preferences to deal with.

i'm glad to see so many put forth so much thought into a serious matter. but then again, the vast majority of the gun owners here seem to be very intelligent and responsible individuals, so i am not really surprised.

sometimes i think i have perfected my system, other times i think it could be better. but thus far, no accidents or even near accidents in my house....and the one time i thought an intruder was coming in my home (false alarm), i had my gun in hand in zero time flat!

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

Same here. It actually just happened the other day. My wife and I thought we heard someone in the house. Had my M&P in my hand, loaded, in no time at all. Turns out, I forgot to let one of my dogs back inside. She was scratching at the door, thank God.

The round which I chambered then became unloaded and put back in the magazine. Gun back in the bedside safe. All is well.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Good point! I wouldn't want to walk in on somebody with my shotty when my car gun is usually just the 9mm Bersa or the 45.

I will consider a under bed shelf for better concealment of the shotty while keeping it in reach.

17. FAS1

FAS1 Member

See this home invasion video. I have a HD gun in a handgun safe mounted to my bed frame in case needed at night. When at home, I always at least pocket carry my P3AT with or without my CCW. This woman in very lucky that she wasn't hurt worse than she was.

[ame="http://youtu.be/dvvHMM6TF50"]VIDEO - NJ Home Invasion Caught On Tape[/ame]

18. hawkguy

sheesh! that is soo freakin disturbing! animals that attack and beat a woman like that? how many sickos like this piece of garbage are out there? what bothers me most, is he didn't have to hurt her to get what he wanted. he WANTED TO HURT HER, that is obvious.

hope they get this guy. EVERY individual against having a self defense firearm in the home needs to see this! this lady could have been killed in this attack. she was at his complete mercy!

reminds me of something else in my life. think this gave me my idea for my next thread.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  19. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Far, far too many Hawkguy. :mad:

20. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

...and the victims response is to install a security system. :rolleyes:

Tack