HD .22 Round

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by HKSlinger, Nov 27, 2010.

1. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

I keep 4 loaded guns at all times in my home. One is a 10/22. Now, I've never really given much thought to it being a go to gun if things went south,but, lately I have. I did a search here for .22 HD. ammo, and nothing came up. So,I'm asking. Is Stinger still the big boy for this type of thing? However,I understand 10/22s don't digest them very well. Is there another, "hard hitter" out there that my Ruger might like?

2. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

I will save the dont use .22 for defense speech.

I would use velocitators and load up the most reliable 25rd mag you have for your 10/22.

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Try the CCI Mini-Mag copper plated hollow point...

And I, too will save the .22lr is not a good choice for HD rant. But if you must, I second large cap magazines loaded and ready to go.

4. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Thanks,I'll check them out. Like I said above,its not a go to gun,but if its the fastest to get to at the time,I want the most I can get out of it.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would think that any of the hypervelocity rounds would work.

Stinger, Yellow Jackets, ect.... Some one out there make a 22lr that is zipping along at 1600 fps.

All I can say is 25 22lr on target in a center-mass group or in the face is going to do a 15 9mm that miss the target.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Find something in the hypervelocity group like mentioned. I've got a brick of yellowjackets I'll sell.

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I'll 2nd the suggestion for the velocitators. They are heavier in weight (40 gr) and 1,435 fps. In my opinion they're more suited for penetration than the stingers.

8. northhike

northhike New Member

I'll third the velocitators...and will add that if what you have in your home is a .22 then I agree in maximizing it. Is it a man stopper or the preffered HD gun....no. That said I would not want to be on the recieving end of an accurate .22. If nothing else it would certainly make me think twice before going any further.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

1. Whatever ammo, it must function in YOUR weapon 100.0000% of the time. .22 LR is not noted for that.

2. Nothing wrong with using .22 LR for home defense- if you have one of THESE:

ameerican 180.jpg

10. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

If I get down to a .22 for home defense because I've gone through everything else at my disposal, it is definately "spray and pray time". So large capacity mag and whatever doesn't jam up.

11. Original

Original New Member

He he, C3shooter, the company that makes that jewel of a Hi Cap .22 rifle, is just over the hill from my place. Fun to watch them erode a 4 inch concrete wall away in no time at all........................................................................................pop............

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yep. Full auto, 177 round magazine. 1800 rounds per minute- or 30 shots per second. A .22 on steroids.

13. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Aguila Super Sniper 60gr. Subsonic, BUT twice the mass.

Dont expect it to group well past 25 yards though, the twist rate is all wrong.....

14. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Does .223 count for a .22 self defense round? :)

15. montveil

montveil New Member

IMO I would stay away from HP rounds and stick with solids to get the maximum penetration hoping to hit something vital. Most 22 rounds will yaw and tumble in the body and so causes the most damage in that way.
    The Velociators would be the best choice as mentioned as they have the velocity and 40 grain will help penetration.
    Many rapid repeated hits will be absolutely necessary to stop a human. Don't expect immediate knockdown even with multiple hits
    You should consider practicing rapid fire and maybe even under dark conditions. Open sights are called for or learn to point shoot.. PRACTICE, PRACTICE

16. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Help me out,who makes it. I remember when it came out years ago,but have forgotten the name. I seem to recall some law enforcement agency's were looking at it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010