Having trouble

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by coopertrooper, Sep 23, 2013.

1. coopertrooper

coopertrooper New Member

I got a savage axis 30-06, I have been shooting Hornady American whitetail 150 grain and shooting 3/4", I picked up a box of Hornady Superformance 150 grain, the rifling in the rifle is 1:10", my question is will 165 grain superformance shoot a tighter group then the 150 grain.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the only way you will know is to shoot it and find out. even if i have the same exact rifle as you do, and my rifle shoots tight groups with a particular ammo, does not mean yours will. every rifle is different and unique, even among the same brand and model.

3. sandog

sandog Member

While the Hornady Super Performance will give higher velocity for a given weight, more accuracy may be another matter. Your rifle may shoot better with them. Mine didn't. When I got my Gunsite Scout .308, I bought 2 boxes of factory loads to try until I got my reloading components together. The W-W 150 gr. Power Points grouped 1 1/4" at 100, the 165 gr. Super Performance grouped 1 3/4". A few weeks later, I reloaded the same 165 gr. Hornady SST bullets that the Super Performance factory load came with in the once fired W-W brass with W-W primers and H-4895 powder. The load I settled on grouped 3/4". If you want maximum accuracy, you might find a factory load that your rifle really likes, but it's much easier to "tune your load" to the rifle by hand loading.