Having trouble workin up loads.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by dave06, Jul 24, 2010.

1. dave06

dave06 New Member

Having problems working up loads for a Remington 22-250 SPS 26" barrel. Have tried 40, 50 grain v-max and now have 52 grain HPBT all bullets are hornady. And shooting Varget for powder charge. Winchester cases and primers. The problem is at 200 yards plus there is no group to speak of. But at 100 all bullet holes touch. I've been struggling with this rifle for over a year now. Look for any and all advise.

2. patret

patret New Member

Mr. Dave,

A more heavy bullet will resist wind as long as the twist of the barrel is one in nine or below. Was there wind when you were sighting in? I assume the barrel is a bull type based on the length. The 22.250 might be considered an overbore so did you purchase the rifle new? You will have to free float the barrel which means that you will have to run a piece of paper down the barrel to see if clears the stock up the receiver and use a wood rasp to relieve any stock touching the barrel.

Your loads should start at 10% below maximum and work up from there. There are more tricks that you can try if the rifle is new but is it is used, sell it. Please free to contact me if you need to.

Patret

3. Catfish

Catfish New Member

Try some 55 gn. bullets. I personally will not use liter bullets in a .22-250. While the velocity looks impresive the low BC of the bullets makes them unsitable for shooting at longer distances.

4. dave06

dave06 New Member

Yes its a bull barrel, I have tried all powder grain combinations that my books list (hornady, Lyman) both are new and updated. Yes this gun was bought new. Has been free floated. Which makes a diff but not to the degree that I am having problems with. At 200 yards there is no group on a 6" target. Would my homerolled have that big effect? The thing I'm not understanding is at 100 yards I have a nce group with holes touching. And 200yd it's all over the paper? Could my bullets be destabilizing?

5. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

Here is my pet load shot through a post 64 model 70 sporter barrel orange tip Nosler 55 grain push with 28 grains of IRM 3031 mixed brass and primers loaded with a Dillon 550 progressive loader it shoots 5/8 to 3/4 groups all day long ive killed foxs and coyotes at 500 yards with this load shoot the eyes out of rabbits at 200 hundred yards. even with a crack stock and loads measured with an automatic powder measure i dont think i can do better then this give it a try. at 28 grains its at the bottom of the load data at 3198 fps

6. dave06

dave06 New Member

The twist rate is 1-14"

7. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

8. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

Do factory loads act the same as your reloads?
    Sierra BT bullets have been a favorite of mine for accuracy.

9. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I totally agree, 55 grains is what I use too.

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

40 gr bullet are pushing the limit at 200 in my eyes. I shoot 50gr V-Max in my 223 and 300 yards shots are easy. Never met a 22-250 that wasn't picky. Great round but every one I have ever seen the owner says it took a lot of work to get it shooting great.

It may be the rifle. Had a buddy that took 2 years of tweekin to find a good load for his 22-250 sps.

Try different powder. Varget is a powder i don't hear much about in the 22-250.

Sierra list 36 gr of RL-15 for the accuracy load with 50gr bullet CAUTION THIS IS A MAX LOAD BACK OFF TO 34.5GR AND WORK UP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. dave06

dave06 New Member

dave06

cpttango30 thanks for the load data. And charlie i have never shot any factory ammo through it so i don't know. I have been thinkning about buying some quatlity ammo and seeing what happens. not sure what direction to take if it does shoot poorly?

12. Catfish

Catfish New Member

They call your problem overstablizeing the bullets. It come from spinning short bullets to fast. It is common with for this to happen. The heaver bullets with a higher BC. will drift alot less also.

13. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I would go with 55 gr bullets and H380 powder and try that. That's how H380 got it's name was the accuracy load in the 22/250 (then a wildcat) was 38.0 gr of that powder.

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

H380 is a great powder. Try it and see what happens.

Here is a link to most of the sierra manual and all but the heavy 69+gr bullets in Hornady.

Reloading pictures by a - Photobucket

15. dave06

dave06 New Member

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at diff. Loads and h380 for a powder was one I was looking at. I have still have some other ideas like RL-15 also.

16. greydog

greydog Member

If the rifle is truly shooting well at 100 yds, I suspect the wind is catching you at 200. There is also the possibilty that you have a parallax problem. If your scope is parallax-free at 100, it will not be so at 200 and there is the possibilty of having this impact group size.
    If the scope is OK, set up some windflags and practice with them. GD

17. dave06

dave06 New Member

GD,
    I will do some more investigation into shooting with the windage flags and c what happens. As far as the scope I think I have a book that discusses parallax problems with scopes. I will reread it and c what it has to say thanks again for the info.

Dave

18. Shmostomper

Shmostomper New Member

I also shoot a 22-250 with a 1-14 twist and I found what works best in mine are the heavier 50gr. - 55gr. bullets I typically use Hornady or Sierra from the same manual cpttango30 posted I have used the second line with the IMR-3031 with 32.5gr. using a 40gr Remington HP with pretty good results. I am also a fan of RL-15 for my 22-250. I would also agree with cpttango30 story about his friend taking a long time to dial in his load, I sort of stumbled on one of mine by just wanting a quick 100 rounds to go shoot with and found out it worked very well and I tweaked from their. Good luck.

19. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Not to throw a fly in the ointment, but my father's Savage 22-250 with a 1:12 twist won't shoot anything heavier than a 40gr. bullet, and with your 1:14 twist, I would think you need to go lighter. 38gr. Barnes Varmint Grenade might be a good round for your rifle. Just some food for thought.

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The 1:14" twist is for use with bullets up to 55 or 60gr. The 12 twist in a 22-250 will get you 63gr.

Twist has less to do with bullet weight and more to do with bullet length than many people want to believe. If you have a 55gr bullet that is shorter than another (Meaning bearing surface) you can use it in a slower twist barrel.