Having Hog Problems?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by merkelas, Feb 28, 2011.

1. merkelas

merkelas New Member

Hello my name is Alastair Merkel and I am a student at the University of Cincinnati and my dad and I, a COL in the U.S. ARMY and a combat vet, love hunting. We both have hunted everything from turkey and deer to boar and bear and process and clean all of our own game. Currently I am at school in Cincinnati, Ohio and my dad is stationed at Fort Gillem in Atlanta, Georgia. We both want to get into some hogs, or any other hunting, this season and I am trying to find anyone who is having problems with hogs on their land who would let us come in and take care of some pigs for them or of anyone that can refer me to someone.

You can reach me at merkelas@mail.uc.edu or reach my father, COL Merkel, at steven.merkel06@gmail.com

Thank you

Alastair

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I wish I had some land for you and your Dad to hunt on.

Give your Father a big thanks for his service. He has quite the Bio.

We have some Georgia members that may be able to help you out. Good Luck.

3. merkelas

merkelas New Member

Thank you very much :) He always says its people like you who make what he does worth while and he appreciates your reply. Im sure someone will be able to help us out, thank you and its always the thought that counts.

Alastair

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have your Dad check with the post game warden at Ft. Benning GA. There was a significant problem with feral pigs over on the Fryar Drop Zone used for the Airborne Students- was a lot of kudzu, and the hogs were rooting massive holes that the kids were dropping into on jumps. Word was that Benning was doing almost a "free-fire zone" to cut them back. Have been away from the Benning School for Boys for a while, so can't say for sure. Good luck, good hunting, and get some.

5. merkelas

merkelas New Member

Thats a good point I'll have him or I check that out, thank you for the suggestion and keep em coming because there is no such thing as too much hunting with empty freezers and a father and son who love hunting and making memories together :)

6. merkelas

merkelas New Member

7. soldierman79

soldierman79 New Member

I can confirm this as i'm currently stationed here at Benning. The friggin hogs are ridiculous here! I got 6 this year and could have gotten 3 times that much if my freezer wasn't already full of pork. Please come help shoot them. They ruined several of my deer hunts. It's fun as crap to boot! :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  8. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

^ Looks like a great time. I wish i was still in Texas, Hog hunting is a blast.

9. merkelas

merkelas New Member

Just sent a message to the big man saying we need to head to Benning on the 21st (spring break). Haha hogs are a great fun to hunt, who would we have to contact in order to find out some good areas to shoot some hogs or if anyone is up for some hog hunting with us anywhere from tuesday the 22nd till saturday the 26th this march? :D

10. merkelas

merkelas New Member

Hey any ideas on what we would need to hunt Benning, we know the usual license and keep the military IDs with but what else cz weve hunted different bases all over the U.S. and some require different stuff.

Thanks again!

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Thanks to your dad for serving.

Keep killing the bears; remember, the only good bear is a dead bear.

12. soldierman79

soldierman79 New Member

Your gonna need to stop by the MWR to get a post hunting pass and map. Then check the open areas here:
    Hunting Open Areas - Fort Benning DFMWR

The best hog areas are on the Alabama side of the installation near the drop zones. I'm gonna shoot you a e-mail with some details. I may even guide y'all if you don't mind some company. ;)

13. 38special

38special New Member

from what I've read online it says some schools and universities have some problems with hogs and of course several farm owners, one key thing to look for is electric fencing (but even those aren't full proof). Sorry I couldnt be of more help, i live in south florida and visit friends in central florida for my boyfriend and I to do our hog hunting. Good luck and happy hunting and sincerely give my thanks and gratitude to your dad, I have the utmost respect for the brave men and women that serve and protect this country and do a job I couldnt imagine doing. Without them I don't know what this country would be like. thanks again and good luck with the hogs! lord knows, just like u said, there's plenty of hogs and empty freezers.