Having a good laugh at the range.

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by Txhillbilly, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I went to the range yesterday to do some ammo testing.I always try to get there when they open,so I can shoot alone without any distractions.
    Well,I get the testing done on the loads for my 308,and 25/06 before anyone else shows up.
    I wasn't shooting my best,but found some rounds that I can develop into some decent rounds.I also had my RRA AR15,and had 6-7 different loads worked up for it when several other shooters showed up.

One guy that I've seen there before came down by me on the lefty tables with his FN SCAR 16 Standard. That is a very nice weapon. He was also testing some ammo he had loaded.
    Another man and his teenage son set up down the line and they were shooting a Ruger Mini 30. His son was shooting some decent groups with it at 100yrds,open sights. I was impressed.

Then this guy comes out with his AK 47,with every gizmo known to man available mounted on it. He goes through about a box of ammo,and never once hits paper. He asked the range officer a couple questions,and the range officer see's that I'm taking a break,so asked me if I can help him. He said he just had the range gunsmith boresite the scope(cheap Leapers),and he can't figure out why he can't hit the target.
    I instructed him to go to the 50yrd range,and try to get on paper there,then dial in the scope. Well he goes to the 50yrd range,and gets it on paper,but the scope won't hold zero,and he gets all pissed about it.
    I just told him to buy a quality scope,and he wouldn't have this problem.He says that that is a quality scope and i don't know s**t.
    Have a nice day,buddy!,and good luck with your Leapers scope.

I get done shooting and I'm packing up to leave,when these two city slickers with a Browning A-Bolt 243 come down where I was.They setup and fired a few shots,when I asked if we could go Cold so I could get my targets. They were talking about what a nice group they had shot (6-8 inches).

I laughed until I was crying,they walked down range with me and then saw my targets. One of them asked how I shot such good groups.I said that they were actually pretty bad groups for me and that I wasn't shooting very good today.

Now I'm not a match shooter by any means,but to see and hear things at the range that novice shooters say/do makes me laugh.

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks for sharing that. The AK-47 guy deserves what he gets I guess. You just cant help some people.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Spray and pray boys, spray and pray. You just can't fix stupid.

I enjoy helping new shooters, I really do. But they have to be willing to listen and pay attention. If a noob wants to debate, I just find somewhere else to be.

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You're a man of great knowledge, THB.....not to mention patience!

5. Txhillbilly

Lon,Who lied to you? I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous to myself,and I've never been know for patience.

I was just waiting for chef to cook us lunch. LOL

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Pardon my ignorance but does a run of the mill AK benefit from a scope at any distance. Can they really ever shoot better that 3-4 MOA at 100 yds? I'm not trying to reopen any AR versus AK accuracy debates here, just curious.

7. Txhillbilly

I don't have an AK,but do have a Saiga with a scope. Anymore,I don't shoot rifles without a scope,my eyes just don't let me.I see fine,but can't focus the sights and target at longer ranges unless it is a peep sight.

I shoot my Saiga a whole lot better with a scope than open sights,and have no problem shooting 2moa or less depending on the ammo used.

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've seen some AK-Like rifles that can really shoot. I say AK like because while they look like an AK type rifle they are nothing like them in real function. THese are all US parts and hand fit. It seems to defeat the reason for having an AK type rifle to me but to each their own I guess.

9. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Now I feel bad, I have a Leapers Scope. I am going to have to go and spend more money than what I paid for the rifle.
    I haven't had any issues with my cheap scope. It has held zero and is working just fine.

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I would try to help folks at the range, but I would not demean what they have.

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

TX, there are people like that in every subject and in every place. I try to point them in the right direction but if they are not willing to listen then there is nothing else you can do.

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Boo-frickin'-hoo, Shi.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  13. suprdave

suprdave New Member

You want some cheese with that whine?

14. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Now flip the coin. There are the range know-it-alls that can't help but inject their bits of wisdom even when not invited. I'd hate to call it an opinion since if you ask them they will tell you it is truth.

15. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If I see an unsafe condition, I will intervene. If asked how I shoot those holes, I tell them. If they have problems, I offer assistance. If they don't follow range rule, I inform them of the rule first and if they continue, I tell management.

16. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

I just don't go to the range. I set my own backstop up out here on my property so i can shoot when ever I want to. I have friends that come out too! I just find it more drama free and a better environment. I have been to ranges and some are quite nice. I just like my small little place that I have set up that's all.

17. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

Txhillbilly since you're a self appointed expert on all things that go bang , did you even bother to check the guy with the Aks scope to see if the thing was even tightened down and staying in place prior to insulting him and his choice of equipment ?

I've seen more than a few guys with scopes worth more than their house payments that couldn't hit the side of a barn at 50 yards because in their excitement and rush to try out the newest toy they made a simple mistake like not tightening down the screws and or locking them down with a dab of locktite , I think I even made it a time or two myself .

Not everyone has a large budget to spend or the luck to always be given good advice when getting into new things especialy guns , it doesn't take much time "IN the game" to soon see many many people are in the business of selling guns and related equipment purely to make money with no real knowledge or care for what kinda BS they tell folks just to sell them stuff and plenty of folks will have to live and learn . A few simple minutes spent trying to be as help in a way so as to educate and not insult those of less knowledge would go along way to helping the sports image .

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2010
  18. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Wait a minute.....txhillbilly is one of the most humble, helpful guys I know. "Self-appointed expert?" Now that's just offensive. He tried to help the ninjas at the range.....so what the he!! are you talking about?

19. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Easy, Bubba. Txhillbilly is a well respected member here. We all know and respect him. This is a great place to learn, and he's got quite a few tricks up his sleeve. Go easy on the sarcasm...that's my specialty!

20. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Self appointed? Seems to me that in reading his post that he was asked for some insights by more than one person. Maybe, just maybe, it was because he actually does know what he is doing and the range staff and other shooters recognize that? Maybe?

I don't know Tx personally, but mutual friends speak very highly of him as a gracious, knowledgeable, generous guy.

It sounds to me like he spent more than a "few minutes" being helpful.