Have you ever wanted to kick yourself?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Txhillbilly, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I loaded up more test loads for the 7mm/08 last night.I bought some Plano ammo boxes at Academy last year,and have never used them.
    After loading the shells-40 total,20 with H4350/4 different charge weights and 20 with IMR 4350/4 different charge weights,I put them into one of these Plano shell boxes. The lid wouldn't close!
    The OAL of these loads are only .022" longer than a factory spec length.I guess Plano doesn't want anyone to use their products for custom handloads.

Today,I go out to the shop to put these loads in another(taller) ammo box,and just as I start swapping them out,I knocked the ammo box with the loaded shells off the bench,and they all go rolling across the floor.
    I wanted to kick myself in the *** for doing this!!!!!:eek:

So,Then I spent another hour or so with a bullet puller,so I could get all of the different powder's and weight charges figured out,and put them all back together again.
    I'll be tossing these Plano ammo boxes in the trash,all of my ammo is longer than factory spec,and I really don't want to do this type of thing again.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

{lil johnny raises hand} I can't picture the Plano boxes, but couldn't you just drill out the end of the bullet cavities a little bit for more clearance?

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

.022" is quite a bit.

4. Txhillbilly

They are like any of the other plastic ammo boxes that hold 50 cartridges,but these are on the short side.They say they are for 308 caliber,but there isn't anyway a longer than factory spec-2.800" cartridge will fit.
    They were on sale last year,and I just grabbed a bunch of them.
    All of my good 308 ammo boxes are full of ammo since I load/shoot a bunch of 308 stuff.
    I just need to order a bunch more since I'll be loading 7mm/08 and 6.5 Creedmoor now,and they use the same type of box.

I was just pissed that I knocked them off the bench,and then had to pull all of the bullets in order to figure out what the powder's/charge weight's were in each case.
    Sometime's,Stupid just happens!!

5. Txhillbilly

Not to me,Spitty
    I can still go out another .020" with these if I want. LOL

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

As soon as I started to read the thread and the resulting issue, I knew where this was going and laughed.

I too have been there my friend. I feel your pain, but I am also taking a bit of humor is it's not me. :p

7. fmj

fmj Active Member

could you have just weigh the loaded cartridge and deduced from there what cartridge held what powder charge? Thus saving yourself the headache of pulling and re-rolling every round.

8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

You could send me those boxes rather than throwing them away.... ;)

9. Txhillbilly

If it would have only been 1 type of powder,then you can weigh each cartridge on a scale,and get most of them figured out.
    But since I had 2 different powder's with different burn rates,I wanted to make sure which was which.
    These are test loads for accuracy,I want them to be correctly done or there's no sense in even shooting them.

10. Txhillbilly

Trez,Send me a PM with your address.I'll get them to you.

THB

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm just busting your balls. I move my handloads around too.

12. cottontop

cottontop Guest

After 40 years or so of reloading, I have come up w/ a simple and fool proof way of keeping track of my reloads just for the very reason of what happened to you. What do I do if I spill the box of shells and they get all mixed up? Color code them. Get yourself a set of permanent markers of different colors. Brand is not important as long as they wont rub off. I prefer Staedtler Lumacolor made in Germany. Available from art suppliers on the net. They are a little pricey, but the work great. Also, get your self some kind of spiral note book and log in each load. I write something like this for example: .243, 90 grain Speer, 40 grains IMR4350, 09/06/12. Then, I mark a dot next to the caliber on the page (let's say I used the red color marker), and then color the primer red after each shell is loaded. Now if I go up or down a grain, I switch to a different color, etc. and on and on. I may have 4 or 5 different loads for one caliber and one bullet. So, they all look alike. But, by looking at the primer, I can tell instantly what load I have. It works like a charm and has never failed me. If I spill all my loads and they get all mixed up, so what? They are easy to sort out. Try it. You'll never have to start over again.
    cottontop

13. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

O.0
    You are a genius.

I will be loading my first batch of -06 in a couple weeks when i can afford all the components again.

I have 40-50 cases and need to buy the powder, primers, and bullets.

I am planning on 2-5 different loads with 2 different powders.

I am going and marking my cases now!

14. steve4102

steve4102 New Member

Even at this, weighing each round is only a guess at best. Brass is not of consistent weight, neither are bullets. You can have several grains of variation in identical rounds let alone rounds of various powder weights. No, you did good, pull em and start over.

I just take a fine tipped Sharpie and write the load info on the case., works for me.

15. Txhillbilly

That is very true,if you don't weigh your brass and seperate it.
    In over 30yrs of reloading,this was the first time I knocked an open box of ammo off the bench.
    It's funny now,but I was really pissed when it happened.

16. cottontop

cottontop Guest

sharpie

After the case is fired and you go to reload it again, how do you get the sharpie markings off the case? Will tumbling remove it? Do you have to take an extra step and remove it with some chemical like acetone? With my marking the primer color-code method, the color is gone when you resize the case.
    cottontop

17. steve4102

steve4102 New Member

Tumbling in Walnut takes it right off.

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

When working up a load, I mark the bases of the cases with a magic marker and create a cheat sheet that explains the marks. black / for one load, black X for another load, solid black for another load, red / for another load, red X for another load, etc