have you ever mis understook an animal?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by sizir1shotguns, Oct 28, 2010.

1. sizir1shotguns

sizir1shotguns New Member

there are rumors that people mis understook animals for other animals , there is a guy that went elk hunting in Alaska and suddenly shot a boar . he said that he really saw it as elk , so have you guys ever mis understook a animal for a animal :confused:

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I can't honestly say that I have ever mis understook a animal for a animal.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I never have. If there was ever any question I waited until the question was answered before firing.

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Quoted for truth.

Part of being a hunter is knowing what you are hunting, identifying the game and realizing what is behind the game. If you are unsure of any of these, do not shoot, period. That is how people get shot by other people when hunting.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

When i was a youngster, i mistook a skunk for a rabbit. Had i been hunting properly, this wouldn't have happened, but i had chosen to spotlight rabbits instead. I don't think i ever went hunting at night again. Yes, i was within range of the skunk's main guns.

6. Walley

Walley New Member

/

I have never mistaken a person or other animal for the game I was hunting but know of several instances where some idiot shot some one’s livestock thinking that they were deer. A few years back a road hunter shot an 1800 lbs Belgian that was laying down in a pasture about ten miles south of us. One guy had his prize winning Jersey heifer shot within fifty feet of the barn. The last time I hunted public land one of these morons took a shot at me when I was walking out to my stand. Luckily the jerk’s aim matched his I.Q. and he missed. I will never hunt public land again.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

An elk for a boar? That requires either no knowledge of either animal or really, really bad eyesight. Plus I'll bet it really pissed off the guys at the boar lodge...:p :rolleyes:

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You must have mis understook my post.

9. sizir1shotguns

sizir1shotguns New Member

the reason why i posted this thread was cuz i even mis understook an animal . i went at night bunny hunt when i shot a squirl thats when i realized if this is quite normal or not

10. orangello

orangello New Member

Was it one of the itty bitty "flying" squirrels?

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I feel better. Sigh! The Grammer Nazi is back. I am not alone. :cool:

12. amoroque

amoroque New Member

We were out duck hunting this year and this guy was walking by us carrying a Canada's Goose. And they werent in season yet. He was convinced that it was a duck.

So long story short it takes all kinds. I agree with Spitty and Skullcrusher. make sure you know what you are aiming at before pulling the triggger.

13. freefall

freefall New Member

Where the heck do you shoot a boar in Alaska? Somebody's yard? Not that many places to hunt elk either...

14. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I have no idea what you're talking about.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

About 30 years ago- deer hunting- had stopped by little country store at noontime to grab a pack of nabs and a drink. They were also a Game Check station. While there, guy walk in, wants to register his wild turkey he just shot.

Store went silent. He was holding a vulture by the feet. Store owner explained THAT was a Turkey Buzzard- not a turkey- and killing them was illegal. Hunter looked around, said "You guys are just trying to get my turkey away from me!", and left- with the buzzard.

Glad I was not at his place for Thanksgiving.

16. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I was deer-hunting in my youth, and after a few hours of ghosting through the swamp in the rain, decided to walk a mile or so to a pond up on the high ground. As I shlumped toward it, I saw white. After sneaking to within 50 yards or so, there was a large, white goose sitting on the water. Food being food, and geese being in season, I found a tunnel to shoot through the brush and shot the damned thing right through the neck with a Savage 30-30. I couldn't do it again with a case of ammo. Dumb luck. I waded out, retrieved the corpse, and walked to my grandfather's farm in hopes that he would tell me I done good. He looked at it and grinned a little, said I'd made a Hell of a shot, and figured that it MIGHT be a Snow Goose, but he didn't think so. Took it home, gutted/plucked it and put it in the freezer.
    A few days later in Math class, a kid whose family farm was near that pond mentioned that his little sister's goose was missing. Long story longer, his dad said he'd give me $5.00 for the goose. When I delivered it, he went nuts, accusing me of wringing the goose's neck. Worse yet, he told everybody he knew that I had stolen it and killed it. I still catch crap from folks up home over that!

17. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

LOL! "Get away from my deer! I shot it fair and square, and it's mine!!"
    "You can have the damned deer. Just let me get my saddle off him!"

18. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

There was a guy I heard about from a Ranger who shot a farmers Mule, thinking it was an Elk!:D

Funny thing was the Ranger signed his elk tag.

19. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Probably just wanted to keep him out of the woods with a loaded rifle...

20. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Sounds like the same hunter my friend knows,he is from Colorado and was telling me about some guy who shot a donkey thinking it was an elk or muledeer or whatever he was hunting,and even when he got to it he still thought it was the right game,strapped it to his car and drove into town with his kill bragging to people,didn't take too long before someone was like"you dumb@ss,you shot a donkey"