Have you ever had to draw your weapon?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by mudslinger79, Mar 29, 2010.

1. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

I was wondering if anyone has ever had to draw there weapon. Be it in your residence, public area, parking lot etc. I purchased my first hand gun a few months ago and have been open carrying in a holster since. I haven't had the chance to take the CCW class. Damn employment! Always getting in the way of fun.

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Oh, where to start?

Your first handgun, no training and you're open carrying.

You must be a freakin martial arts expert then. I say that because if someone walks up behind you while you're distracted, they'll have your gun or you'll be in the struggle of your life for it.

Get some training, get a concealed carry permit and practice, practice, practice.

3. mpd8488

mpd8488 New Member

There is not a single documented case of somebody other than a police officer attempting to disarm a lawful OCer in Virginia.

I'm not disagreeing on the training aspect, but there is no real need for CHP, just make sure you don't come within 1000 feet of a school zone while armed. I've found Williamsburg to be a very friendly toward open carriers and with the new national park rules its even better because you don't have to worry about accidentally finding yourself in one of the numerous national parks in the area.

Superior Pawn in Hampton runs training courses on a regular basis and they're one of the friendliest FFLs I've encountered in Hampton Roads.

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

No offense, but we've been down this path on this forum several times. Usually it gets into some argueing and once in a while some troll posts some bs story that gets picked aprart like an injured deer and a pack of wolves.

I think you'll find that most LEO's here have pulled their service guns several times and most regular citizens hope they never have to.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Amen. Let's not have an open vs concealed carry debate either...

6. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Yup! Been there, done with that!

7. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

I practice as much as I can really. As far as training goes I'm all for it believe me. Work schedule and being a single father to 2 children hampers things sometimes. I've been reading, reading, reading and reading some more. I try to get to my local range at least once a week. Fortunately my girlfriends father has handled firearms his entire life and has given me a lot of pointers.

8. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

I have to agree Superior pawn is a great place. I havent been to the one in Hampton yet but I will say the location in Virginia Beach rocks!

9. carloglock19

carloglock19 New Member

You can also try A&P Arms on Lynnhaven they hold CCW classes as well! I like their range set up. I'm still waiting on my CCW permit. The way I look at it if you have to draw your weapon (have drawn weapon before over in the sand) than you must have exhausted all means or you feel your life or family members are in danger. I havent had the chance to open carry here at the beach I have only seen 1 person OC since I've been in the area during last holiday season. I think I would get the police called on me very quickly if I OCd (i'm clean cut military but still), maybe I will try Starbucks!LOL

10. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

No guns in Starbucks! I hope that it would never come to pulling a gun on another person. It has to be a damn frightening experience.

11. EiteCombat

EiteCombat New Member

Um... quick observation, has anyone answered the OP's question or just taken the whole thread down another path?:confused:

To respond to the OP, the only time I had to have my weapon ready was a few years ago, at 4 am, and someone was pounding on my door so hard it woke me up and it seemed like they were trying to get in. I came to the door with .45 Colt revolver in hand, yelled for the person on the other side to announce themselves. They failed to respond. I took a defensive position and slowly cracked open the door. Of all people to be pounding on someones door unnanounced at 4am, the local PD. The second I noticed I slowly put my weapon down, and they preceeded to tell me that my car had been stolen. Then proceeded to treat me like I stole my own car for insurance fraud.(Long story)

Shouldn't the police be announcing themselves when damn near breaking down someones door? They scared the crap out of me and my girlfriend and I believe they should have announced that they were PD, especially after I asked.

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Am I psychic or what? :D

13. EiteCombat

EiteCombat New Member

Not BS though, and I do expect to be picked apart as I was only 20 at the time, fairly new to guns and I already know things that should have been done better about the situation. I've learned a lot since then.

14. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

I was trying to get a cool thread going. thanks for sharing! Gotta love that famous police knock on the door. Just break the damn thing down why don't ya?! Did you ever find out why he didn't identify himself?

15. doctherock

doctherock New Member

had to draw it in art class once. Got a crapy grade though, they frown on stick figures and stick guns

16. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

Ya get an A for effort in my book!

17. EiteCombat

EiteCombat New Member

He said he didn't hear me ask. I guess it's hard to hear over all the door beating.:D I wasn't trying to question the police at the time, I just learned my car had been stolen and left in a kohls parking lot with the windows broken out, so I was a little PO'd.

18. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

Was that here in Va that this happened? Place is going to hell in a hand basket.

19. EiteCombat

EiteCombat New Member

Yea, Harrisonburg. In a nice neighborhood too. They don't discriminate man. You should see the amount of break ins we have here over the summer when the college kids leave.