Have you ever had to draw your gun for protection?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Spider, May 19, 2011.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

I'm curious about how many here in these forums have actually had to take their weapon out of its holster (glove compartment, etc..) and wield it in the direction of a perceived dangerous person.

And, of course, the secondary question: have you ever had to fire your gun at somebody to protect yourself (or to protect others)?

Please, not military situations and not on-duty law enforcement, just as a civilian with a concealed firearm.

2. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Doubt your going to get many responses for this. Thats the kind of thing people don't want to share or brag about.

But to answer your question, the movie "Shoot 'Em Up" was loosely based on one of my business trips to New York. Nuff said.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Yes,no

Just cuz someone is a po-po or military doesnt make the situation any less traumatic or legally dangerous or factually dangerous. Use of weapons outside of recreation or training is a traumatic and life altering experience regardless of profession.

You can what if yourself till the next millenia but there is no real way to prep for the reality or describe the aftermath in any real sense to someone that hasnt gone through it. Real blood and bits of people on the ground is NOT what you see on tv

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXoNE14U_zM]YouTube - ‪Classic Movie Line #15‬‏[/ame]

5. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

+1

Amen. Well said Jon.

Spider, the answer to your question is yes, and no. I've drawn on somebody as a civilian and not had to shoot them. As Jon said, there isn't any difference, I experienced the same things as a civilian as I have as a LEO when I've had to draw down on threatening individuals. Traumatic stress is traumatic stress, enough said.

6. Spider

Spider New Member

I'm puzzled by these responses. Not that I don't understand the logic in them, I'm just puzzled by these answers to such a simple query here: have you, as a civilian, ever had to draw your concealed handgun?

I'm a wounded Vietnam veteran, there was plenty of "rock and roll" in our unit, and I know all too well about the dangers and griefs, etc. But that's not what I'm including, as noted in my first post, for the simple reason that a war zone or an on duty police situation is not about civilian, permit-bound concealed carry.

As far as how hard it would be to share those experiences here, I'm over a barrel on that one because the question is at the very heart of what the right to carry is all about: personal protection. Yes, I know, some feel that it's also about being some sort of armed militia, etc. But that's another thread. :D

7. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have not, but when I was a youngster, my Dad was an OTR trucker, and he always kept a .38 revolver with him on trips. On a layover one night in a motel, he heard someone trying to open the window from outside. He pulled back the curtains and showed the gun to the would-be burglar, who remembered an urgent appointment to be elsewhere. :D

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt that if anybody has actually had to use a firearm in self defense that they'd be willing to talk about it here.

9. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Not the kind of thing anyone on the internet will ever know about. I just don't feel it's anyone's business.

10. WDB

WDB New Member

First, thank you for your service Sir. With no disrespect ment do you often share your experience while in the service? I expect you keep those private, something you may share with family but not something you would want to recount on the interweb. Civilan encounters are even more personal and simply not something most want to express on the interweb.

Again thank you for your service and much respect to you and the purple heart you earned.

11. Spider

Spider New Member

Thank you for the "thank you, WDB!"

Amongst those who served with me, we're all a quite bit more free with our recollections, lessons learned from years of contemplation, etc.

Here, in a forum about firearms in general, personal protection, etc, I found no inkling in me that it was any way connected to such experiences as war time ones.

I apologize if I've somehow offended members here. :eek:

Perhaps I should have started an anonymous poll (if that is allowed here, I haven't looked yet) where members could just register a "yes" or "no" on the question, with no way of knowing who answered in what way.

Again, sorry if I started an "out of line" thread there.

12. StanDJ77

StanDJ77 New Member

Really?

I tend to disagree. i mean if your a cop, although you will be nervous, i think you will have less hastle because your a cop. If the same situation happens to a off duty cop and a civilian, i bet the civilian has to go through more red tape than the cop.

13. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Really? If I had a critical situation, myself, I think a thread on here might be one of the first things I do after I stop shaking. Unless, of course, I had to fire the weapon, in which case I'd have legal constraints to be concerned about.

Maybe I see what you mean now, stalkingbear.

14. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

f**k it to answer your question I have had to pull my gun, and let me tell you what that dog will not biting anyone ever again! (yes there is a story behind it). Honestly though I doubt most people will tell you anything involving people, no one like to have to pull there gun and not that many people look for trouble (except maybe in philly). =)

15. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

I see no good reason why they wouldn't (in the case of an actual defensive shooting) as long as the investigation (and any civil or criminal court proceedings were concluded, after all the news media would've already posted a story (or more) about it. If they didn't have to shoot anyone, I certainly see no harm in it.

That's my .02 worth.

16. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

You're flat wrong about this Stan, there have been a growing number of prosecutors who, I suppose, though bringing charges against a LEO for protecting themselves, their partners and society as a whole by shooting and killing a perpetrator who was shooting at them, or had shot at them or someone else and were still armed and reasonably believed they were about to shoot at them.

A civilian doesn't have a review board or internal affairs to worry about, whereas a cop does. LEOs may not have as much "hastle" from their peers, but having been involved with investigating an OIS involving one of my subordinates.....the red tape is just as long.

17. 83v45magna

83v45magna New Member

Boy this thread is off the rails...I don't think any of 'em that has is gonna tell about it, Spider. Ask 'em what they're gonna do if/when the time comes. You won't be able to shut 'em up.
    I showed a guy a pistol once (no pointing) from car to car in 1991. He was chasing me (wild driving, too) I think because I didn't take off from a traffic light fast enough to suit him. He had had plenty of chances to break off and he didn't. So when he pulled up beside me, I let him see where his next meal was coming from. He and I then parted ways and I never saw him again. Though it's been said many times, you kinda had to be there, ya know?

Let me add a thank you for your service from me as well, Spider.

18. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I'll talk about my experience. In 2009 I was at a Hardware store I frequent in my home town. This store has existed for many years (a family owned establishment), but just recently started selling guns and ammo. I was picking up some 9mm for my Beretta 92 when a portly man walked in and stepped up to the gun counter.

He said nothing even when the owner asked if he needed help. He just stared at him. It was simply "odd." His mannerisms were off. That's what caught my attention. He paced for a bit then he just pulled out a black snubbie, finger on trigger, and began to raise it toward the owner behind the counter. It was surreal. I simply yelled "Oh, (expletive deleted)" and pulled my 92 from a strong side holster with a cant.

He could not have been more than 3 feet from me. He went to turn to me and saw a gun muzzle at little too close, he dropped his gun on the counter. The owner unloaded it and called the police. I made him sit on the floor with his hands on his head until the police arrived, never pointing anywhere but at his face. When I saw the police cars through the glass doors I laid my gun on the counter.

I provided my CCW and DL. I was questioned extensively. One question I vivdly remember is where he drew his gun from. I remember this question because it was amazing that I honestly did not know. I spoke with the deputies for a while they handed my weapon back to me with the mag removed and the slide locked open. They apparently kept the one from the tube. I got in my car and just looked at the front of the store for what seems like forever thinking nothing and eventually I just drove home.

19. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Wow! That must have been surreal! Glad you kept your head in such a tense situation.

20. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Even though the police were there in minutes, it felt like it took an eternity for them to arrive and it took me quite a few days to recover. I was and still am so happy he dropped the revolver. I mean, my finger was already starting to travel on the trigger. If I had been carrying my 1911 he would have already been shot.

Last edited: May 23, 2011