Have you ever caught so big of a fish you had to shoot it

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by akm47nagiont, Apr 4, 2012.

1. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

It just popped into my head I just figured I'd see if anybody has

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Are you serious? I've seen people reel in HUGE monster fish from the oceans and it took them hours but they never had to shoot it. Part of the sport of fishing is the pride in reeling in the fish in the proper manner. :confused:

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I think he means once it's on board and thrashing around, like a shark or something.

4. winds-of-change

Ah, I see. I know my Dad used to smack big lake fish like walleye or Northern Pikes in the head to kill them. Of course, you may not be able to do that with a HUGE fish.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

A few years ago when I was living in LA (the state) a dude stumbled upon a huge Alligator Gar trapped in a pothole due to the Red River receding after spring floods. Dufus shot the gar with his 12 guage and thought he had a new state record and called the TV station and got himself on TV.

Game & Fish said yep it probably is a record, but here's your citation for illegaly taking a fish and no license.

Here's your sign! :rolleyes:

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Years ago, fishing in Texas, Alligator Gar, folks would cap them with a .22 after landing. Dang things have TEETH!

Of course when someone in Texas tells you they landed a 12 inch fish, they mean between the eyes........... :p

7. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Common practice with Halibut.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

The first last and only alligator gar i ever caught took me completely by surprise; luckily my buddy's grandma was in the boat and cracked its skull with a paddle as i was considering a quick swim.

9. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

i shoot all my fish......i bowfish
    20 lb, gar and carp, 10 lb. cats and 6-10 lb. bass

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

The local shark, big grouper, jew fish fishermen use to allways shoot there bigger catchs as they had to walk them back down the pier to the beach to land them when fishing from the city pier. Legal back untill the early or mid '70's. If we were catching crabs, you know string and old chincken bone, and a school of mullet came by we would shoot a few rounds for 308 amounst them and stun them long enough to net most out. Anything else might be really Illegal.

11. winds-of-change

Wouldn't shooting the fish put a hole in the boat?

12. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

You shoot them in the water, just before you net or gaff the fish.

13. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

just goes to show you learn something new everyday

14. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I saw a TV show called Shark Hunter and that exactly what he did. He kept a 12 ga O/U by the stern but did not use it unless he got in trouble.

He w have one hand wrestling the line and one hand w the gun. He won.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  15. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I never caught one big enough to KEEP.

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Bingo!

A big Halibut floping on the deck WILL break legs. Guides typically gaff them to get the head out of the water, then pop them several times with a .22 LR. Before dragging them onto the boat.

Tack

17. FatTire

FatTire New Member

I figure im lucky to catch a fish so big I can eat... This is why it destroys my ego to fish with my kids, they always land bigger and more fish...

18. orangello

orangello New Member

19. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member