Firearms Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Africa has some wonderful wild animals but the land often looks muddy, dirty, dusty, buggy, snake-infested and dry. Bodies of water often look filthy. Most bodies of water where deer and other American fauna drink are pretty clear and the flora in America is often much greener and lusher where wild animals inhabit.

I would only do an African safari if I were a multi-millionaire and had to make provisions for all my clean water for drinking, washing and bathing to be shipped in. I would also have to have a bus-size RV suitable for the rugged savanna to live in with a/c, shower and other comfy things.

I may need a few trucks and trailers for fuel, potable water, supplies and food. I would need a good vehicle to plains-game hunt in. I'd fancy a sable antelope bull, a black wildebeest bull and maybe a giraffe bull and/or a lion if it were a rogue. None of the meat would be wasted for prey species and I would only take a lion and/or a leopard if it was needed to be taken for management reasons and the animal was deemed a rogue by local authorities. All taken animals would make full-body-mounted trophies but no critter would be taken for sole use as a trophy.

Keith kills some wildebeest and a rogue bull giraffe here:

Dana took a nice sable bull here:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
It's not that bad to get a go at hunting over there. I was supposed to go last year but work was trying to get rid of me and a heap of others through forced redundancies and I had already had my deposit paid to go. It was going to cost me around $10-12K for 10 days over there on the African East Coast chasing plains game and staying in a very comfortable hunting outfit setup with guides and a PH.
It's not that dear depending of course on what you want to hunt and where.

If you want to go hunting some of the Big Five then it's going to cost you big time. I was taking my 30/06AI loaded with 180gn Woodleighs for the hunt.

·
Premium Member
12,635 Posts
I have never had any desire to cross the ocean to kill a critter that hasn't done anything to me. Hunting Giraffes? Now, that is a manly sport....

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
African safari? Never had the interest, myself.

I figure, it's an exceptionally big place with lots of "bugs" my immune system hasn't seen before. In the years when I used to occasionally hunt, I found going after deer and elk to be sufficient for me. Provided meat, outdoors enjoyment, didn't have to worry as much about inoculations (and whatever they missed), nor the need to worry nearly so much about some other apex predator eyeing me as "lunch."

Those who want to and have/do, more power to them. I'm sure they enjoy it.

That said, I suppose I'd have liked to see the wild areas some 150+ years ago. But from a viewing standpoint, not hunting. Probably even more dangerous, but would have been beautiful to see so many of the big native populations of wildlife still in good health.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I have never had any desire to cross the ocean to kill a critter that hasn't done anything to me. Hunting Giraffes? Now, that is a manly sport....
Yet your happy to shoot a deer at home that hasn't done anything to you? Double standards much.

·
Premium Member
12,635 Posts
Yet your happy to shoot a deer at home that hasn't done anything to you? Double standards much.
You assume too much. I feed the deer and enjoy watching the deer. I don't like the meat and I don't kill for sport or trophy.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Africa has some wonderful wild animals but the land often looks muddy, dirty, dusty, buggy, snake-infested and dry. Bodies of water often look filthy. Most bodies of water where deer and other American fauna drink are pretty clear and the flora in America is often much greener and lusher where wild animals inhabit.

I would only do an African safari if I were a multi-millionaire and had to make provisions for all my clean water for drinking, washing and bathing to be shipped in. I would also have to have a bus-size RV suitable for the rugged savanna to live in with a/c, shower and other comfy things.
You obviously have never been to Africa have you?

·
Banned
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You obviously have never been to Africa have you?
No, the closest I've ever gotten to it on a map is Germany. I've read some things about it and have watched a bunch of TV shows, a couple movies and videos about it. In the 1970's, I read Jack O'Connor articles on African big-game hunting including elephants. I do know that safari is not for the poor man.

·
Banned
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don’t see a double standard. You can’t import giraffe meat to the US.
The giraffe meat in Africa will feed people there. The animal hide can be shipped in to America if it passes customs standards. It is rich men who do these kinds of things though. Some rich men have a big lodge in the woods with a collection of trophies inside. If one books a safari with an African outfitter, my conditions would be that no meat would ever go to waste. I'm not sure if any African game meat can be lawfully bought onto American soil: what about antelope venison? Taxidermists do stuff hides from abroad on our soil if the price is right. An African bull elephant, full-body, can run $110K. A full-body bull giraffe, $25K. A maned lion; $5-6K. A leopard, $4-5K. A wildebeest, oryx, kudu or sable; $3-4K. A gazelle or impala, about a full-body deer mount price.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
You assume too much. I feed the deer and enjoy watching the deer. I don't like the meat and I don't kill for sport or trophy.
So your point is what?
Anything that is shot in Africa isn't wasted meat wise and most animals hunted are on a quota system or as a feral gone wild.
There is a monetary value attached to most critters in Africa and this is what has saved the vast majority of these animals as they're now protected. I'm assuming that you know that one of your presidents was the actual instigator of saving African wildlife and he was a hunter himself and that was 1 Teddy Roosevelt.
Your on a hunting forum and you say you don't kill for sport or trophy and most on here don't but your saying that because of what you believe in should be the last word in hunting?

I hunt either for feral control or a feed nothing more nothing less and I can't stand those who start to try and moralise what they do because it's in their minds the only thing that is right and everything else is wrong.

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
So your point is what?
Anything that is shot in Africa isn't wasted meat wise and most animals hunted are on a quota system or as a feral gone wild.
There is a monetary value attached to most critters in Africa and this is what has saved the vast majority of these animals as they're now protected. I'm assuming that you know that one of your presidents was the actual instigator of saving African wildlife and he was a hunter himself and that was 1 Teddy Roosevelt.
Your on a hunting forum and you say you don't kill for sport or trophy and most on here don't but your saying that because of what you believe in should be the last word in hunting?

I hunt either for feral control or a feed nothing more nothing less and I can't stand those who start to try and moralise what they do because it's in their minds the only thing that is right and everything else is wrong.
Waste of key strokes there Hb1.

I hunt because I enjoy it. I also enjoy cleaning, cooking and eating game, fish and fowl.

I look at the antlers and turkey fans on my walls and reminisce about the memories made.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Waste of key strokes there Hb1.

I hunt because I enjoy it. I also enjoy cleaning, cooking and eating game, fish and fowl.

I look at the antlers and turkey fans on my walls and reminisce about the memories made.
No worries then just the way it was printed makes it looks like you were basically against certain forms of hunting. That's the trouble with the interwebs at times when what's written doesn't necessarily convey the message intended........................anyway I stand corrected no worries at all.

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
No worries then just the way it was printed makes it looks like you were basically against certain forms of hunting. That's the trouble with the interwebs at times when what's written doesn't necessarily convey the message intended........................anyway I stand corrected no worries at all.
I never thought for a second that I was the subject of your ire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts