Have Symptoms.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bluez, Mar 26, 2020.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Do you know that it really was COVID-19?

towboater likes this.
  2. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

blues, would you mind giving us a step by step history of what you experienced.were you tested? I do not mean to invade your privacy, but it could be very helpful to people who have a mild case as hopefully you did. Your age and basic pre infection health may be helpful too. Again I do not wish to pry as it really is none of our business and if you choose not to I totally understand.

I ask because I had a customer describe to me his being sick back in January with something that sounds a lot like a mild case of covid. He unloads trucks that come from everywhere, including containers from china. And his illness predates the first documented USA infections.

I am a truck driver, I wander around town getting coughed on by otr guys at many stops.

It would be nice to have a concise first hand account.

bluez and Rifling82 like this.

3. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

If you look at my OP I was reporting symptoms following known exposure to virus samples from COVID19 patients. I believe w/o hospitalization or a positive test it can never be stated with certainty..

many of the Coronavirus symptoms overlap with the common cold and/or flu.
    However...
    ... prior to getting sick I was isolating for a full week.... the one time i left my house was to go to the lab for the weekend..then I had know exposure to the virus in the lab...

Then I got sick a few days later with a disease progression I have never before experienced which also matches many or most of the published COVID symptoms (no one has all of them)
    I am fairly certain this is what it was and my NP (Nurse practitioner) agrees.

Yesterday I got my testing result back, it was negative.

But these tests have a lot of false negatives and i was already on the mend when I took the test so my titer (virus count in bodily fluid) could have been low.

My medical provider kept me in quarantine since the combination of symptoms and known exposure to the virus gives him confidence for his diagnoses.

Also since I am already getting over it , it is too short for a flu or a common cold the two other common diseases can produce similar symptoms (also had a flu test which was negative)
    On the first day I was fine in the morning but felt at deaths door by the afternoon..
    I never had a cold/flu that progressed in this way, this quickly, coming and going.

Some people who get it, its so mild, they dont even notice it.
    I did notice it, so it made it possible for me to quarantine.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    hiwall, ellis36, Rifling82 and 2 others like this.
  4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

My exposure was either on the prior Friday when I received poorly packed patient samples or Sunday when I unpacked them for analysis and also had a little accident with a centrifuge (some sample spilled out of the centrifuge... it had already been lysophilized so should have been noninfectious.. but.. murphys law right..)

In retrospect the first symptom I didnt recognize for what it was:

-On Tuesday I suddenly had this powerful wave of fatigue wash over me.. that i had to go lay down right now. (sudden fatigue is a known symptom)
    I was in the middle of doing something else but suddenly i HAD to go to sleep. I immediately went to bed and slept for 2-3 hrs. If i had been driving i would have simply pulled over turned of the engine and slept. It was very sudden strong urge out of the blue.
    - On Wednesday morning It started with a single dry cough out of the blue ..did not think anything of it at first (even though I knew I might have been exposed over the weekend)).. dry cough is primary symptom
    - Then I got a runny nose.. didnt think much of it at first since runny nose is not strongly associated with COVID19 (now i read it does happen to some folks)
    - However within an hour or two, coughs would become more frequent (tho still not back to back.. maybe one or two per half hour) and they were dry... then I coudlnt deny it any longer to myself..
    - plus mild nausea. Even though nausea was mild as it hit me it was hard to deny these very symptoms especially given that I knew I had just been exposed a few days ago. ( some patients experience nausea or even emesis, throwing up, with this I got close to it but never vomited)
    - then dizziness which persisted to this day (one of the symptoms)
    - then on the first evening and one evening only, shortness of breath.
    - Through all this I never had any fever... but this is an individual variation of mine. I very rarely if ever get fever to accompany even the toughest colds/flu

I had every symptom except high fever.. but i rarely get fever, ever.
    runny nose is experienced by only 5% of patients.
    I am ABO Blood group A.

Today I am still symptomatic with dizziness, runny nose and dry cough but i dont feel very ill otherwise.
    All in all a very mild progression except for the first night and the morning after that night, when I was quite ill.
    I been told such a mild progression is typical when very healthy people get it.

hiwall, towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  5. winds-of-change

What lab do you work for? I am a lab tech and I work for the St. John Ascension Health System in Tulsa. I work midnight shift weekends but I am currently on medical leave.

6. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in Bama they have about 1000 positive and 6 deaths. My question is HOW MANY HAVE THE VIRUS WHO ARE NOT HAVING ANY SERIOUS EFFECTS and are not being tested/identified???? Until this question is answered world wide we have NO IDEA how deadly this virus really is.:(

TimKS, winds-of-change, bluez and 4 others like this.
  7. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

You can look at the deaths per million in Italy and get an idea. Based on where they are on the curve, you can estimate 350 deaths per million citizens. In the US, it translates to 122,000 people. Testing/isolation, population density, population age, etc. all vary, but it gives a reasonable order of magnitude idea independent of testing ability.

bluez likes this.
  8. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

That is very true, in smaller states there is not enough test to go around so they say “if you’re sick stay home”.... if you come to a clinic/hospital there is a checklist of symptoms, if you do not have every symptom you will not get tested

JimRau, ellis36 and bluez like this.
  9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I dont like to say to make doxing harder, but its outside the United States.:oops:

But I will say this, I was standing up an elderly lab facility that had been basically mothballed and had not been used as part of COVID19 response.
    I thought this was waste since it had a PCR in it.. and got the reagents from commercial sources and stood it up mostly by myself (with one good assistant) in only 3 days.
    I sold my boss on this and he believed in me and spent the money buying those reagents.

It was super stressful since in the beginning I was struggling with forgotten skills and nothing wanted to work right.. none of the positive controls were lighting up.. ..and his non science Boss had gotten wind of of our project and demanded constant updates and that I be mission complete validated and settings done NOW..

So this included me programming all new temperature and timing profiles for the annealing cycles into my PCR and working out new protocol based on this commercial reagent that had never been run on this instrument before...+ included validation via raw unextracted patient samples from the clinic (doing my own extractions via Qiagen kit with begged/borrowed HPLC grade Ethanol) matching all the results of the established and fully staffed local lab(!).

This was all with instrumentation I had not used in well over a decade.. writing protocol and an SOP as I did it..

3 days of 13-14 hrs each.. (sleeping on local cots since my place was 2.5 hrs away) got done literally at 9 pm Sunday night..

..as a person from the field you know what an accomplishment this was..

When I drove home that night I knew I hadn't scienced this hard this hard+fast in years..
    It was an incredible high driving home having proved to myself and others that I still had "it".
    Getting sick was well worth it IMO..:cool:

My superior and the director were super impressed and his folks are now running this Lab based on me getting it to work.

I am listening to boss music right now, again and again and again...
    (start at 45 secs)

hiwall, ellis36, Shopfox and 2 others like this.
  10. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

as for symptoms... today is basically the reverse of my first day of noticed symptoms.
    I started out a bit sick and now I feel 100% (well maybe 95%)

11. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

The CDC is not reporting all of the deaths. There have been 7 at EAMC in Opelika alone.

bluez likes this.
  12. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for sharing that, bluez! Extremely interesting! I'm also very relieved you seem to be recovering! Take care!

ellis

bluez likes this.
  13. winds-of-change

Are you accredited in any fashion? If so, by what organization? Our labs are accredited by College of American Pathologists. ASCP. Do you have to go through any inspections? I don’t think you can just set up a lab and open for business without inspection and some dirt if accreditation.

14. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you blues, glad to hear you are feeling better.

bluez and towboater like this.
  15. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Coworkers daughter (late 20's?) got it, seemed to slam her for 4 days and then she was on the mend. She may still be under quarantine (doing whatever the hospital said).

Back in Dec/Jan my kids got slammed for a week with something that showed neg to strep or flu. 21 and 24, and thin, they went down hard w bad headache, some nausea and cough.

Their mom had a week long headache that showed nothing on tests (61 yrs old).
    I had an odd headache for 3 days about a week ago.

Lifelong headache sufferer, used to get migraines. Allergies. This one was different. Not bad, I mean it sucked, but am use to much worse. It was just different. Work in a dirty factory so always coughing, never dry.

Weather changes really mess w my head/sinus. That and being older......maybe the headache was just due to age/environment.

Or maybe I had some weird bug. I dunno.

My town has a bunch of positives so see if we sail through the next couple of weeks.

My youngest has health issues so is staying someplace else (not in this burg). The ol lady works.... is considered essential. She will proly get it, if that wasn't what she had a few weeks ago.

ellis36 and bluez like this.
  16. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

This is outside the US and we are certainly in an usual situation.
    We performed a validation of this system by consistently matching the primary labs results 100%..and passed it with flying colors.

At this point no one is going to refuse extra analytical capability in support of their clinic, for the regulatory reasons as you seem to suggest.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    hiwall, Shopfox and towboater like this.
  17. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes and no! The problem is there MANY death everyday at all of the medical facilities, and the problem is verifying just which ones are ACTUALLY a result of CV. Just becasue one has a specific 'germ' in their body does not always mean that was the cause of death.

18. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

News reported a local person lost their dad, he was in his 90's.
    They found out after he died it was from Covid 19.
    But he had been battling an infection prior.

So what killed him?

The infection?
    The Covid?
    Other?

He tested positive for it and died. So Covid gets the score.

I wonder how many Covid deaths are similar, people that were one foot in the grave before they got it.

Looked at local paper's cause of death. Bunch of 80 and 90 yr olds in there, no Covid.
    Just sayin'

ellis36, towboater and bluez like this.