Have any of you Mosin lovers done a "heavy target barrel" swap?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by orangello, Aug 5, 2011.

1. orangello

orangello New Member

Firearms

"THESE ARE BRAND NEW REPLACEMENT BARRELS THAT WERE ORIGINALLY MANUFACTURED FOR THE CZECH UK59 UNIVERSAL MACHINE GUN
    CHAMBERED IN 7.62X54r."

"ABOUT THE BARREL, OUR U.P.S. SCALE SHOWS THIS BBL WEIGHING IN AT AROUND 6.5 POUNDS. IT HAS THE BRIGHTEST, MOST PERFECT RIFLING I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED. IT IS 24" IN TOTAL LENGTH AND HAS A 60 DEGREE RECESSED TARGET CROWN. EACH BARREL IS THREADED PROPERLY TO BE ACCEPTED BY ALL NAGANT RIFLE VARIATIONS CHAMBERED IN 7.62X54r."

Have any of you guys done this barrel swap? I thought the Mosins had pretty good barrels; i thought their weakness was ammo consistency, if anything. What do you think of their offering?

I don't have a Mosin nagant rifle, but i have been lusting after one for a while.

2. Scoobydoo51

Scoobydoo51 New Member

I think this would be a good project. How to justify it though...

3. orangello

orangello New Member

It certainly shouldn't be the most expensive firearms project ever, maybe $180 for the two major components (rifle & barrel).

4. towboater

towboater Active Member

5. Scoobydoo51

Scoobydoo51 New Member

I know its cheap. But money is'nt very common atm.

6. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

You may open a can of worms and need to update the look on the rest of the rifle to go with the barrel, Not a bad option though.

7. MrMosin

MrMosin New Member

Looks pretty cool! But my Mosin is in too nice of shape so i wouldnt want to ruin the original look of it with anything other than a good scope, if that. Just a matter of personal preferance. But if i were to buy a not so clean one, oh the possibilities.......:D

8. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I tend to agree...

9. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

The barrels on my Mosins still have a lot of life left in them and are very accurate.

Besides, that looks pug fugly and just... wrong.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

If Mosin Nagants are so inexpensive, i wonder how much parts would cost. Maybe there is a MN out there that is just lacking a big ugly barrel.

It occurs to me that this would end up being a decent anti-bear rifle with good ammo & adult diapers. hmmmmmm

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The original post asked if any "Mosin Lovers" have tried....

To what end would you make this change? By the time you got through with the project you would have enough in it to buy a good used commercial sporting rifle.

Most Mosin Lovers would consider it to be a sin to change out a functional barrel for a "heavy" barrel. I am a Mosin fan for sure, but it is my belief that if a man buys a rifle he has the right to "bubba" it any way he wants. During my last trip to a gunshop I saw a Remington M91 that had had the stock "modernized" and some other modifications. The value of that rifle went from $350.00 to the selling price of $100.00.

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

What you are saying does happen. I also can't see the + side of a HB. But hey, that is just me. The 91/30 is very well balenced IMHO, but again, that is just me. People took K98k's and sportered them for years, and years. Some are done very nicely, others look like they were done in Bubba's shed. I'm not passing any judgement here. There may be new life for an old beater. I'd rather see that then a PD hacking it in half and melting it. Can't always judge something w/ limited info and no hands on inspection.
    I actually sportered a 1942 Swede M38 for my son. Why? It was a miss matched beaten, cracked stock part GG part Husqvarna rifle. I over paid for it since it needed a home. Now it will last another 100 years. I put 290.00 into it bringing it back to life. Sometime our passion for firearms gets in the way of our love for them. There are times when a change brings new life.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

It doesn't seem like it would be an expensive project when they are selling the rifles for under $100 and the barrel for $80. Admitedly, i'm no gunsmith, but the parts don't seem to pricey. I think it would be a more reasonable project if it was started with less of a rifle, one with a beat barrel or no barrel.

14. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Classic arms has the Barrels and recievers for $99. The barrels are beautiful, but would have to be fit. The only way to do it is all the way. And you end up with a sub MOA custom Mosin Nagant for about $1000. Sure you can do it cheaper but where do you want to cut corners?

Timmney trigger $100
    High end stock $200-$300
    Nice reworked bolt $75
    Scope <$400
    Gunsmith at least $200

15. Torqemada

Torqemada New Member

What about old fashioned fun? Something to do? Why does it have to make sense? Come on there is all kinds of "stupid", "bubba", "insane" whatever projects all over the shooting web sites. Most I don't get but someone does. I know a guy who spent a year hand filing and shaping poorly forged parts to make a Hepburn receiver. It was beautiful but he could have bought 2 new ones but they never would have measured up in his mind. And he had fun, learned things, developed skills.

Cost? Who cares if you decide to do it and have the skills or friends who do? Buy the receiver and barrel. I have a friend that could do the metal work and have fun. He's retired and likes doing that stuff. Bing bang whoopla - you have a barreled action. Spend some time on a stock trigger. Now you have a workable trigger. Stock would take some thought but I assume it could be done with some gouges and files.

A little time and work - A Mosin Target rifle. Fun to shoot. Fun to show. Not expensive. A break from monotony. Maybe a Mosin that shoots 1/2 MOA. Could win bets, make you rich, buy an island, live in luxury. ;) Whose to judge?

16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Removing a Mosin barrel without the proper jigs and wrenches might be chore. If you had some good tools and a bit of knowledge you should be able to do it. Drilling and tapping for a scope mount is something I wouldn't do and the headspace issues would probably require a competent smith. But, I have to admit, with the receiver and the barrel available is would be a neat project.

I wouldn't trash a functional rifle to build it, but that is just me.

17. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

I'd consider it. Junk Mosin $50 to $80, barrel and receiver $90 and another $50 for a gunsmith to check and adjust the head space. The rest is just putting it all together. I drilled tapped my current Mosin for a scope mount and modified the bolt handle and steamed out the dents in the stock, now the kid won't let me sell it.