Firearms Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planing on getting a gun, It seems like a good thing to have, but I want to know if someone with OCD is eligible. I do take medication for it, am i going to be labled "mentall ill" and be denied.

Thanks

·
Banned
18,636 Posts
Just go try. If you're approved, you're approved.

Personally, I trust you not to be a freaking psycho, unless you prove otherwise, and that's the beauty of being free, I can make that call for myself.

Your not likely to be denied unless you've been involuntarily or judicially committed for treatment.

By the way, welcome to FTF. Swing by the intro section for a more official welcoming.

If your a new or prospective gun owner, there is lots to learn, and this is a great place for it. I highly recommend sticking around.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
EDIT- quote of deleted post removed by Mod

I'll assume this a joke and not trolling.

That said as was stated above, you should be fine as long as you haven't been hospitalized otherwise you should know if your ocd is under control and whether you are fit to have a gun or not.

·
Administrator
34,443 Posts
I think OCD rarely has anything to do with anger. There are many people who are diagnosed as depressed and on antidepressants who passed a background check. As Trip 286 said, unless you've been hospitalized or at some time was considered as a danger, which I don't think OCD would do, you should be fine passing a background check. I don't think they check into your medical records but just look to see about any notes of mental illness that may have resulted in some sort of police action.

Heck, I see some posts here from some members who seem to have a difficult time controlling their anger in certain situations. :cool:

I say apply and see what happens. I don't think there will be any bump in the road for you.

·
Banned
18,636 Posts
Even if you're denied, that's not going to bring a criminal charge. What I mean to say is, you won't get in trouble if you try and get denied.

You really have nothing to lose by trying.

I'd bet you'll keep your gun really clean ;)

·
Premium Member
14,832 Posts
mountainman13 said:
I'll assume this a joke and not trolling.
Of course that's a joke. Having been diagnosed with a neurological disorder that does not present violent symptoms cannot infringe on a person's right to bear arms.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Worth a try! At least in my state, and I think all actually, the background check is fine. Depending on your laws, they really only check for criminal history. So if you have no record, you will be fine! I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If you haven't been involuntarily committed to a mental institution, or judged mentally ill by a judge, you're good for NICS. If you are uncomfortable, consult a lawyer about your issue.

Stick around! By the way, have you figured out which firearm you are interested in?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I'm not violent lol, I actually am 17 so I cant get a gun anyways untill i'm 18. Whenever the news is on I hear these crazy disscusions on gun control and how military style semi-auto rifles and pistols with long mags should be banned. It bothers me, how do they expect us to defend ourselfs and rights with some little colt or 1911. Anyways the arguments on the news make me wana get a gun b4 the government banes them. The only thing in my way is OCD. I have a driver's license so hopefully I can get a gun license as well. I was never hospitilized, and I dont have any criminal records nor did I ever go to court.

·
FAA licensed bugsmasher
7,141 Posts
OCD huh?

Just means you'll probably have the cleanest gun of all your friends, and you'll be fastidiously safe. ;)

I'm pretty certain OCD is not mentally defective.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
adhd.jpg

to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member!

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Please DO NOT post (including in your signature) advertisements, links to sell or advertise if you are not a vendor.

New folks- Please read this!!! << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

Join the Gun Owners of America, a worthy 2nd Amendment protector.

Gun Owners of America << Click Here

Please join the NRA, it serves all gun owners well.

Join the NRA << Click Here

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts