Hatfield O/U 12 ga.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by IowaShooter, Dec 3, 2017.

1. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

Bought a 'poor man's Tristar' today at my favorite LGS for $360

Shooting clays tomorrow and will post range report and actual picks of my shotgun... This one below is a stock pic

This Turkish made 28" barrel, 2 3/4 chamber has tang safety with barrel selector and a fiber front sight

Comes up nice, nicely balanced... and came with 5 chokes

The manual will make you laugh... broken English, poor grammar... But the fit/finish of the shotgun is surprisingly pleasing and the Turkish walnut stock is great looking. Hope she shoots well.

I've been shooting trap wth my circa 1961 Winchester Model 12 featherweight pump with imp cylinder... And sometimes my CBC (Brazilian made, sold in Kmart) full choke break-open 20 gauge

This will be a nice change

image.jpeg

SWSinTN and Dallas53 like this.
  2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

looking forward to seeing the results and range report!:)

3. IowaShooter

It was ugly today... Huge FAIL - but no one hurt

Went to my friend's house in the country (he is the owner of the gun shop where I bought the shotgun) we shoot there often... He has a nice 100 yd range set up on his property out in the country

We shot shotguns of every make, model and gauge... A good day for the four of us who regularly shoot together.

I shot my new Hatfield about 6 times... And then it happened... I had handed it off to the LGS owner (Randy) and he shot it once (both barrels... We had selector on bottom barrel first and then the top would fire with second trigger pull... Different chokes in each barrel obviously for trap shooting)... We were hitting the clays with ease...

Randy put two new shells in the break open gun and closed the action...BANG... Gun went off! (He had it pointed in safe direction thank God)

We all stopped obviously as we diagnosed... He tried it again and BANG... The top barrel was firing when the the gun closed! Get this... Even when the safety was on! It didn't matter

So... I just used the bottom barrel (only loaded that barrel) for a few more shots...

Turns out THAT was a bad idea too... I took one shot and felt something hit my chin... It had blown the safety and barrel selector off! I found the pieces in the grass by my feet.

Moral of the story:

- I shouldn't have kept shooting once the gun first malfunctioned... Even with only the 'other' good (I thought) barrel

- Randy will refund my money and call his distributor to return the shotgun

- You get what you pay for...my next gun will be a better quality O/U

1203171026.jpg 1203171026b.jpg 1203171026c.jpg 1203171423.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    MisterMcCool and SRK97 like this.
  4. joed49

joed49 New Member

As soon as I read the subject I knew it wouldn't turn out good. Being new I also didn't want to tell you it would end badly.

I learned my lesson about 10 years ago when I started shooting trap. I wanted a Browning but a friend that owned a shop sold me on a Ruger Red Label All Weather.

The first year the RL never let me down. By the second year it started getting misfires every once in awhile. After that it went downhill. I spent over $210 taking that O/U to gunsmiths trying to correct the misfires. And it usually spent 2 months with the gunsmith. After the third trip I got rid of it and bought a used Browning Superposed.

The sad part is I knew better but didn't follow my own advice, "Buy once, cry once".

An O/U is a mechanical wonder the way it works. The cheaper guns usually do OK for awhile and then fall apart.

Hopefully you aren't out a lot of money.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  5. IowaShooter

Update: LGS called Hatfield for me... they immediately called me back this morning- sent me a prepaid shipping label by email and back to them it goes tomorrow morning... we'll see how quickly they get it fixed and back to me!

MisterMcCool likes this.
  6. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Active Member

A friend who works in sporting goods at Walmart told us never. Buy a Hatfield.Now I see why.

7. joed49

joed49 New Member

You're probably going to find that it spends more time away from you then with you.

One of the reasons I sold the RL.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Ruger is very good about repairing their firearms. You wasted your money taking it to gunsmiths. I had a Red Label 20 gauge and it always functioned flawlessly. I sold it when times got hard and I needed the money more than the gun.

kfox75 and SRK97 like this.
  9. Serengeti

Serengeti New Member

Not much fun when you need the money more than the gun.

10. Serengeti

Serengeti New Member

Not much fun when you need the money more than the gun.

11. joed49

joed49 New Member

"Ruger is very good about repairing their firearms. You wasted your money taking it to gunsmiths. "

Ruger may have been very good at repairs once upon a time. They were the first call I made. They told me they have limited parts for the Red Labels and may not be able to repair it. If they couldn't they would offer me a deal on something else. Ever hear of anyone getting a good deal through them? I was told 10% off by others.

Count your blessing you sold yours.

I will never own another Ruger.

12. joed49

joed49 New Member

Please post how it does when you get it back.

13. IowaShooter

Will do- it went out via UPS to them yesterday

14. prosa123

prosa123 Member

I don't think I'd want that POS shotgun back no matter how much Hatfield claims it's fixed. I would never trust it.

15. IowaShooter

Just got the email that says it is on the way back to me...

Will keep you posted

16. I hope they fix it for you and you're happy with it.

I've never had much luck in finding a bargain priced product (of any kind) that works as well as the more expensive version. Hopefully, you can prove my experience wrong and you'll have a shotgun that will work reliably.

I looked at a number of O/U's and ended up with a Beretta because the gun fit me better than any other O/U that I looked at. Not the cheapest, but certainly with Beretta, not even close to their most expensive.

As I expected, the gun has worked flawlessly from day one and it is simply a delight to shoot.

Here's hoping you can have the same experience once you get your O/U back.

17. IowaShooter

I've owned many bargain priced pistols, revolvers and rifles...as well at lots of expensive ones. It hasn't been a binary decision... Not all cheap ones were junk and not all expensive ones were worth it.

It's a crap shoot buying firearms... Over the years I've had the send back for repair guns from S&W, Ruger, Sig, Springfield, CMMG as well as Rossi and Taurus.

Oh well... We shall see on this particular one

kfox75 likes this.
  18. joed49

joed49 New Member

I hope it works for you but my experience with O/U shotguns was not a good one till I got the Browning. I thought everyone was nuts telling me the Ruger RL wouldn't hold up. But in the end I realized the gun was spending to much time in the shop and not in my safe.

You'd think someone would build one that's trouble free.

19. IowaShooter

Delivery expected tomorrow... (Per UPS notification)

I've got the ammo in the car already and I'm ready to take it to the range right away

Can't wait to test it with a box or two of ammo

20. IowaShooter

Got it back via UPS at 3pm today (that was a 9 day turnaround) and was at the range by 4.

Put about 20 rds through it with no issues... So far so good

Paperwork doesn't detail what they did to correct the problem... But it is the same gun (not a replacement)

Next step is to take it out for a few hours more and shoot some clays. Supposed to be nice this weekend...:)

kfox75 and PaBushMan like this.