Has Anyone Hunted With a Cap and Ball Revolver?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by 007BondJamesBond007, Dec 25, 2011.

1. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

Has anyone used a cap and ball revolver to hunt with and what did you get? Small game or Deer?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not legal for deer in many states.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Not that I am going to hunt with a Cap and Ball Revolver but can you please tell me why it's not legal? Just asking my usual questions and trying to learn. :eek:

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

lack of power. There is a minimum size for rifles, minimum caliber for muzzleloading rifles, and a ball and cap revolver was felt to be too low in energy to insure a clean kill.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

007, check youtube. I was thinking about getting a walker repro, and came across some videos of it being used in hunting. I've also found some articles and write ups on it.

6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Here you cant even have a handgun on you while hunting. They will assume since you have it on you that you intended to hunt with it and will fine you accordingly.

7. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

DNR only has limits on minimum cal. and barrel length and they even count the length of the cylinder as part of the barrel on revolvers. I have Remington Army and would carry it only to finish off a deer in the event my rifle shot didn't do the job. Must take that back... Must be a center fire cartridge of more then .22 cal.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Never hunted deer with one. But have hunted groundhogs with a Navy model 36 Cal. on many occassions just for fun. Did good job and was a blast! ":D" I suppose you could hunt deer with the 44 cal Black Powder Revolver is your state law permits it. I have a 44 New Army but never hunted with it. I guess I have never checked on that in Tennessee! But probably would still use my Thomson Hawken 50 Cal Rifle for deer.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Thank you for the answer to my question.

10. DunRanull

DunRanull New Member

When I was a kid, I knew an old man who had his grandfather's Colt .36 cal handed down from the War of the Southern Rebellion. He used it as a wall-hanger in his nursery office and for shooting bunnies stealing nibbles from his nursery stock. It worked well but Ive never had to do that.

11. Kelly-A

Kelly-A New Member

Back in the late 70's

One of the writers of , I think it was Guns and Ammo did a write up on the repro of a 1860 Colt , a Navy Arms gun , and he did use it to hunt Deer , successfully :D
    Besides whatever State Law might say about what you can hunt with or not , the .44 cap and ball has plenty of power to kill deer . If it can drop a 400 Lb. Burley Logger in his tracks , then deer are a non-issue here . The Walker or Dragoon is a better choice than the 1860 Model , and try to remember the Walker was the Hand Cannon of all times till the mighty .44 Magnum came along . It reigned supreme many years before that .44 Magnum though and can fire a 60 grain musket size charge in her . The Dragoon at 50 grain , these guns are no slouches . Even an 1858 Remington with near 40 grains will knock your pee pee in the dirt ;) Our Westcoast Black-Tail dont get that big , and its been done , along with more small game than I can count :D While there may be better guns to hunt deer with , they are certainly capable as long as the hunter does his job right with range and shot placement . Lack of power is not the issue . A beaurocracy that makes game laws up as they see fit obviously have NEVER shot a Walker !
    I have :D Nuff said ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  12. Kelly-A

Kelly-A New Member

Debate is over

I just pulled this Data from a reliable source , DEBATE IS OVER :D

With a longer barrel, the Walker should attain somewhat higher velocity than with the following load:

Cap and Ball Ballistics
    By Ed Sanow
    Handguns February 1998
    Cap and Ball Wound Ballistics

Calibre: .44 Walker
    Firearm: 1847 Walker
    Bullet: 141gr RB
    FFFg: 60gr
    Velocity: 1287 fps
    Energy: 519 ft lb
    1 Shot Stop: 87%

Put that in your pipe and smoke it ! :D

13. freedom475

freedom475 New Member

I use a Remington 58 with a RB for much of my whitetail hunting. I really like the way it shoots and is sure has plenty of penitration...knocks em' dead. It doesn't leave a huge bloodshot bruise, but it pokes a very clean hole. All of my shots into the lungs have gone clean through. My load shoots the RB at 970fps with real BP...I can go hotter with PyrodexP..but I don't like the stuff.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  14. Kelly-A

Kelly-A New Member

sweet

Nice picture , nice gun , nice story , what more could you ask for on this topic :D
    Nobody died in the Civil War with Modern propellents , that includes Horseys , Elk , Deer , Bear , Pig , and anything else that moved , two footed or four .

Thanks for sharing ! Welcome aboard :D

15. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Depends on how you look at it. It was modern at the time.;)

16. Kelly-A

Kelly-A New Member

Hawg , did you notice

Hawg , did you notice that this gentlemens revolver was the exact same revolver I sent you ? Was probably nice to have that checkering on the grip panels on that cold snowy day too for him . ;) And the deer was probably mezmerized by the beautiful CCH on the frame and stopped for an instant to admire it whilest grazing , BANG !
    And Jerkey was born this day . :D

17. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Yep, noticed that.