Has anyone here built an SKS "black rifle"?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by dgray64, May 13, 2012.

1. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

I have goats and I have coyotes. The coyotes love the goats and will make one disappear in a minute or so it seems. Since I live in brushy Texas I need something quick and agile. I was going to spring for an AR type when my neighbor suggested that I get good stock and red dot sight for my old SKS. It's not a special gun and already has removable mags. I figure that for under a hundred I can get it set up for quick handling and depending on what it costs me for a good, red dot, I'll have a better coyote gun than a .223 black rifle. What do you think? Thanks.

Dave :)

2. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

My stock SKS is what i usually use for coyotes here in PA, works quite well for me.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You really don't need any upgrades. Some heavy duty lighting will freeze them long enough. You could alway host a Coyote fest for members. ;)

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Most scope bases for SKS's are replacement receiver covers. I have yet to see one that held zero AND was decently tough. I would look at a scout scope mount and forward mount the red dot. A good whistle will freeze them long enough to get a shot.

5. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I'm in the process of 'building' one now, I found the completely stripped and rusted barrelled receiver in my dads shed,the bore was excellent so I decided to fix it. I bead blasted it, gave it some paint and bought the parts you see. It's coming along alright, I still need a few more parts.

I realize that when you said 'build' you didnt mean quite so literally , but I thought I would share anyway.;)

So far I have $103 in it.:D

I have pictures, but my phone is ridiculous and won't let me post photos.
    EDIT: I got my PS3 to upload them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd say go for it.

But I can't really say which I like more,

my re-stocked SKS, or my all original.

IMHO they are great truck guns.

7. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

My buddy has one, looks something like this.

[​IMG]

The SKS itself never shot right, but at least it looks neat. He basically uses it as a wall decoration now.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Find a cheap Tapco stock and have at it.
    The only limiting issue I can see, is optics mounting. Everything that you can stick an optic on without gunsmithing moves around and/or comes off as part of cleaning. Not really the best option if you want a stable zero. Opinions vary of course.
    I've been meaning to get one of these installed:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/435151/choate-scope-mount-sks-steel-blue

9. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

That looks like what I'm looking for. If his doesn't shoot right it's becasue fo the gas tube seal or the magazine. Generally, an SKS is a shooting machine. Thanks for the picture.
    Dave

10. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Thanks, I forgot about the sight bases being on the gas tube holder. I was told that I should get a "scout scope" for it. I may do that after I get the Tapco stock. The darn mount is $67 but the scope will hold it's zero. Maybe I can do that and put a lazer underneath where it will hold it's zero and I can have some coyote stew!! Thanks for the info.

Dave

11. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

There is a scope mount out now that replaces the rear sight. Not too expensive and mounts directly to the barrel, search around and see if you can find one of them.

12. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Thanks, W.C., I'll do a search for one.

Dave